Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ipad2 from usa to ireland...

• 13-04-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi, I am in the US as I type and I will be here until Saturday. I am very tempted by the ipad 2....if I buy one here will it work back home in Ireland? Or will i have connectivity or other issues with it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

abbey2000 wrote: »
    Hi, I am in the US as I type and I will be here until Saturday. I am very tempted by the ipad 2....if I buy one here will it work back home in Ireland? Or will i have connectivity or other issues with it?

Thanks!
    WiFi version will work no problem. If getting one for use with a carrier, make sure to get the AT&T compatible version, and check that it isn't locked to AT&T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Might be worth giving your credit card company (bank) a heads up if you're going to buy.

I got a call from BoI about 5 mins after buying an original iPad in the US last May.
    All the rest of my expenses were on corporate cc so this purchase stood out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I got an iPad 2 in the US from the Apple Store in the Mall of America (MInneapolis) a few weeks ago. As mentioned, if your getting the 3G version, make sure it's what they call the AT&T one. No problems with it at all in Ireland, and I saved myself 140 euro.

Only thing is, it will come with a US 2 pin plug. Luckily, Apple make their plugs modular, so it's easy to swap it for a 3 pin one if you have any other Apple equipment with the modular plugs. Otherwise, just use a travel adapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Depends on where you are in the us. Bear in mind the price in store does not include tax so add that on and then convert back to euro to see total cost. In some states it'll be a lot cheaper, in others you might only save 20 quid which would be about the cost of a 3 pin apple charger, so maybe not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Danbo! wrote: »
    Depends on where you are in the us. Bear in mind the price in store does not include tax so add that on and then convert back to euro to see total cost. In some states it'll be a lot cheaper, in others you might only save 20 quid which would be about the cost of a 3 pin apple charger, so maybe not worth it.

You haven't done the numbers recently then. Even at 10% sales tax he will save at least 100 euros buying an iPad over there. Remember that the dollar is around 1.45 these days (ECB rate today is 1.4493) so when you convert the dollar price to Euros it's much lower now than it was a couple of months ago.

OP if you tell me the local sales tax where you are I'll give you the exact comparison between there and here, try to narrow down the model i.e. if you're only looking to buy the Wi-Fi model then please say so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irreducible

Also consider the duty you will have to pay at the airport. The last three times I've flown home every second person has been stopped when coming on a flight from the US to have their bags checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

phutyle wrote: »
    I got an iPad 2 in the US from the Apple Store in the Mall of America (MInneapolis) a few weeks ago. As mentioned, if your getting the 3G version, make sure it's what they call the AT&T one. No problems with it at all in Ireland, and I saved myself 140 euro.

I'm actually in Minneapolis and will by buying it in the Mall of America Apple store to! I am not sure what the sales tax is here...does anyone know?

i think i am going to get the 16gb 3g version, listed price on apple site is $699... i think the tax is about 7.75% in minnesota at the moment...

Im buying me one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

i think i am going to get the 16gb 3g version, listed price on apple site is $699... i think the tax is about 7.75% in minnesota at the moment...

Im buying me one!

The official Apple price for a 16GB 3G iPad is USD 629, not 699 (http://url.ie/apuf).

Based on a 1.5% FX markup by the CC company and the sales tax you quote above, I estimate that the price on your credit card when you get home will be Eur 474.65 based on a gross USD price (incl sales tax) of USD 677.75.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'm actually in Minneapolis and will by buying it in the Mall of America Apple store to! I am not sure what the sales tax is here...does anyone know?

Sales tax in Minneapolis 7.75% - The city has a tax on top of the State tax quoted above.

I bought a 32GB 3G iPad2, and a blue polyurethane Smart Cover. Total cost on my credit card when I got home was €599.92

The same two items put in the cart on the Irish Apple Store come to €738.00.

Someone mentioned customs. It's a risk all right, but I flew via Shannon, where I have never once seen a Customs officer in all my time flying through there. This means the place will be swarming with them the next time I pass through. :p

The stock in the MOA store was very low when I was there 3 weeks ago. First day I went, they were out (evening time). Second day (afternoon) they only had the 32 GB 3G one left, so I took it. There's a Best Buy up on the 3rd floor that gets them in too, but they said they were selling out each morning. There's another Apple Store out in Eden Prairie (30 minute drive out from downtown), but you probably wouldn't be out in EP unless you had to be - it's a 40 dollar taxi ride out, so unless you have a car or are going out there anyway, it's not worth the trip (my company is based out there). Hopefully the stock situation has stabilised by now.

i went to the apple store in the mall yesterday, all they had left was the 64gb i pad.... she said they get them in every day but they must be selling out early. i will try again on friday but i doubt i will be successful now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Also consider the duty you will have to pay at the airport. The last three times I've flown home every second person has been stopped when coming on a flight from the US to have their bags checked.

Last time I checked I think the 16GB wifi version comes in just under the limit for duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alfo

Hi, just wondering If u purchased the ipad2 from u.s. ?And if so how has it been Working out? Did u come across any problems?
    Thinking of getting hubbie one for Xmas-have family travelling to America next Wk. thinking of getting 32gb wifi+3G AT&T.
    Any recommendations??
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

alfo wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering If u purchased the ipad2 from u.s. ?And if so how has it been Working out? Did u come across any problems?
    Thinking of getting hubbie one for Xmas-have family travelling to America next Wk. thinking of getting 32gb wifi+3G AT&T.
    Any recommendations??
    Thanks

Two thins I hate on Boards:

a) textspeak. You have a full keyboard... EMBRACE it...
    b) not using the fugging search engine...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Hi

Can someone re-direct me to the thread that discusses buying ipad in the states as I cannot find it in the search engine

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi

Can someone re-direct me to the thread that discusses buying ipad in the states as I cannot find it in the search engine

Thanks in advance

What did you put in the search? I put in America or States and got loads......

whiterebel wrote: »
    What did you put in the search? I put in America or States and got loads......

There are loads of different threads but I cant find the answer im looking for. Basically I want to know do I buy AT&T or verizon version and can I buy a micro sim over here and run the 3g off an irish network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

There are loads of different threads but I cant find the answer im looking for. Basically I want to know do I buy AT&T or verizon version and can I buy a micro sim over here and run the 3g off an irish network
    The Verizon version doesn't use SIMs, so get the AT&T one.

The Verizon version doesn't use SIMs, so get the AT&T one.

That doesn't apply to the new iPad, the Apple US Store website says that both the AT & T and Verizon models of the new iPad 4G can roam worldwide on GSM/UMTS networks..

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad/select_ipad

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    That doesn't apply to the new iPad, the Apple US Store website says that both the AT & T and Verizon models of the new iPad 4G can roam worldwide on GSM/UMTS networks..

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad/select_ipad

Thanks,

Does the same apply to the ipad 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Ur[s]uS

Thanks,

Does the same apply to the ipad 2?

No, for iPad 2 there are different models. The Verizon iPad 2 does not have removable microsim, so no good for use in Ireland where you want to drop in your own microsim.

Ur[s]uS wrote: »
    No, for iPad 2 there are different models. The Verizon iPad 2 does not have removable microsim, so no good for use in Ireland where you want to drop in your own microsim.

+1 you still need to avoid the Verizon iPad2 model for use outside the US.

coylemj wrote: »
    [QUOTE='UruS;77608506']No, for iPad 2 there are different models. The Verizon iPad 2 does not have removable microsim, so no good for use in Ireland where you want to drop in your own microsim.

+1 you still need to avoid the Verizon iPad2 model for use outside the US.[/Quote]
    Thanks for your help guys

Advertisement