Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday 2011

Options
  • 13-04-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know of any Night Clubs / Late Bars opening at Midinght on Good Friday?

Thanks,

KP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Where is this Coppers place you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Well I never mentioned Coppers? but if its open job done can anyone confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Club Newry will be jamming.

The lengths people will go for a pint. Personally, I'm lucky enough as I'm going to drive up to Derry to see St. Pats away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

one day and people cant go without:rolleyes: get a few cans on the thursday and chill watching tubs on the box

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

one day and people cant go without:rolleyes: get a few cans on the thursday and chill watching tubs on the box

such a stupid argument. most people go without most days of the week. if they want to go out on a friday night they should have the option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

The Friday of a bank holiday weekend and a day which itself is also a day off for most and you're not allowed to meet publicly with friends for a few drinks because of a religious reckoning that most do not agree with:rolleyes:

GAA should move the League Final between Dublin and Cork to the Friday, then the publicans can say 'Special Occasion, Limerick got it last year!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

howiya wrote: »
    such a stupid argument. most people go without most days of the week. if they want to go out on a friday night they should have the option

you dont hear people asking where can they go the friday of halloween and other bank holidays, which i why i said what i said
    Patser wrote: »
    The Friday of a bank holiday weekend and a day which itself is also a day off for most and you're not allowed to meet publicly with friends for a few drinks because of a religious reckoning that most do not agree with:rolleyes:

GAA should move the League Final between Dublin and Cork to the Friday, then the publicans can say 'Special Occasion, Limerick got it last year!'

im not a catholic so you can understand that i hate the fact that pubs are closed, but you see these threads every year and mass hysteria in off licences every holy thursday, and every year i worked on the saturday after good friday i would see some people blind drunk in the bar that morning that you wouldnt see on a normal saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

back on topic Coppers won't be open Thursday or Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

im not a catholic so you can understand that i hate the fact that pubs are closed, .................. you wouldnt see on a normal saturday.

I'm in a agreement with you here, but every year there is the same outcry and every year nothing is done. Last year Limerick got on exemption due to a Heineken Cup game and guess what, no 2nd coming of the Lord or descent into hell. Everyone had been suggesting this would be the death bell of Good Friday closing times but this year not a peep, all back to normal.

The thing with Good Friday is that it's the only holiday (again for most, I'll be working) guaranteed to fall on a Friday, add the public holiday on Monday and that's 4 days off for most. So a great time for friends to meet up, people to get away for the weekend etc. Closing all Pubs will mean that parties get moved to houses, where there's less control on how much is drunk, so worse hangovers for a lot the next day - still they'll have those extra days to sober up for work.

If the pubs were closed on Ash Wednesday sor example, as a stand alone holiday with everyone back in the next day, there's be a lot less hue and cry about all this and I'd say most people would go 'It's only one day and sure I rarely drink mid-week anyway' but saying 'Here's a 4 day weekend, lets spend the 1st day in silent reflection' is never going to work.

Advertisement