Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting started and picking first bike..HELP?!?

• 13-04-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I am new to this and hope that you don't mind me stating this new thread.

Im 23 ys old n female. I have always wanted to get into bikes but kept being put off by others; the usual crap about deathtraps etc. My parents even bought me a car to stop me getting one when I first started out driving!!!-sweet deal but wasn'ta long term cure as such.

Had the chance to get brought out on a Honda VFR 800 at wkend and I LOVED it and well yeah the lust for a bike has surfaced again and now that Im moving out of home it seems the timing is good!
    I am aiming for the A licence and have my theory test on 17th May.
    Thinking of getting a 125 to start off!:D

I was told that I should consider geting a cheap bike and practicing in a field for a while before getting a roadworthy bike-good idea to practice ona n older bike but in the long run might be a waste to buy one so I went to a bikeshop and the guys were lovely and very helpful, and said that if I bought a bike off of them they would give me a field bike to 2weeks to get used to it all.Sounds great :)

Now I am hoping for some more advice about what my first bike should be:
    At the shop I looked at a 2010 Suzuki GN125 with 1900km on the clock. Very nice bike, pretty light and I liked the layout and position etc.
    Also saw a nice Honda CBR 125
    and a Yamaha Virago 125...

Another question I have is about the IBT; How much will this cost approx? And where abouts in Munster can ya do it? I've heard of Tom Tynan in Tipperary

ANd: What's this RoSPA about?

All advice greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

At this time of year, this question is asked several times a week. This week is no exception. Have a quick read back.

I always suggest the same thing. Do the theory test and arrange the IBT on a 'school bike' and treat it as a challenge. The training is absolutely invaluable and will take you from being an absolute novice right the way through to being a safe and competent rider (although experience is crucial too) in a very small amount of time.

You can be keeping an eye out for a bike and pricing insurance and gear etc in the meantime. The first thing is to identify what bikes you like. More desirable bikes are available to you than you think. You need an A permit and you'll have to have the bike restricted if it's too powerful. You will also need to find something that physically fits you- something to keep in mind if you're very little or large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

At 23 I started off on a Er-6n restricted. I don't see why you would limit yourself to a 125, they get annoying very quickly and you will be unable to do your test in one.

What is your budget in total and what type of bike do you like. Then we could post up suggestions in a similar style and look into whether or not you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Yep. Yer better off to get something bigger than a 125 as you will get used to its power very quickly and will be looking for something with a bit more go in no time. Its also handy to be able to do the full test on a bike your well used to and comfortable with, rather than an instructors bike that you will have only used for a couple of hours doing lessons.

IBT is in the region of €500-€800 AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

so I went to a bikeshop and the guys were lovely and very helpful, and said that if I bought a bike off of them they would give me a field bike to 2weeks to get used to it all.Sounds great :)

:(

They'd do better to help you out with the IBT.

As said above, don't bother with a 125, do bother with the training, and have a read of some of the previous threads on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Guys dont forget that its a female we are talking about. I am not being smart but she will not handle a bigger heavier bike as easy as a male. Especially at lower speeds..when they are heavy.

I agree that you should get a bigger bike but not a 600/400cc, I think a CBR250 would be fine or even a cruiser which will give you even better control.

Try to do the IBT with another person it will halve the cost....and if you get an instructor that will not discount there are plenty that will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 bunnibasher

Hi guys! Thanks for all the advice so far.
    Def have some food for thought, and yes I have been reading through some of the other posts :D

I had intended on gettin a 250 to start as I thought it would make more sense seeing as Im aiming for the A licence. So think I will go back to that plan. Thanks ;) Oh and Wonderboy I appreciate what you're saying too. I wouldn't be able to manage a very heavy bike.

I've been trying to get lists of IBT instructors and there doesnt seem to be too many in my area but I will ring around this wkend and get some more info and quotes etc. I will try and get a discoun 'cause I think my boyfriend wants to do the IBT also.

Budget-wise I am think €500 for IBT up to €1800 for bike and €500 for clothing. Does that sound reasonable?7

About the bike type I am a little confused about the different types. I know that I don;t really like the chopper styles. I will prob go for whatever style is more stable so perhaps one where I am sitting upright as opposed to leaning in on top of bike.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate that ye must get these questions a lot and are prob sick n tired of it but I am not wasting yer time or mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

A naked bike sounds like what you're looking for. Something like a hornet 250, bros 400, cb500. Should get a decent one for 1,800 without too much bother. It's you're not looking for a sport bike or a cruiser.

...I had intended on gettin a 250...I wouldn't be able to manage a very heavy bike...up to €1800 for bike and €500 for clothing...About the bike type, I know that I don;t really like the chopper styles. I will prob go for whatever style is more stable so perhaps one where I am sitting upright as opposed to leaning in on top of bike....

"Managing" a bike is 99% technique and 250 is still pretty puny :D The biggest physical factor is if you are too short of leg for some bikes. Go bigger if you can!!

If you end up with a 250 ish bike, €1800 should be enough to buy a decent example. You need to spend something like a grand to get a complete set of decent gear.

There are tons of bike styles. just look here: http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbikes/for-sale/Ireland/?source=all and figure out which ones impress you the most. If you're besotted with retro bikes, we can recommend one suitable for learners. If you think a GSXR1000 is a work of art, you probably aren't aware of all the smaller sports bike that you could consider.

[QUOTE=Simona1986;71688841...Something like a hornet 250...

If I wasn't such a big galoot, I'd love one. They sound class, IMO.

Ive been looking at diff bikes and I like the look of the cruiser. I think that the Suzuki GN I saw could be put into this category.
    I also like the look of the dual-sport and sport bikes. SO I suppose I need to go and try out the diff ones and see what I am most comfy with.

I think a friend of mine is going to get a loan of a bike for me to try out in a field for next week... fingers corssed! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Borrow gear. Be safe. You don't want to have a big crash and end up too ****less of bikes to ride bikes on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Guys dont forget that its a female we are talking about. I am not being smart but she will not handle a bigger heavier bike as easy as a male. Especially at lower speeds..when they are heavy.

I agree that you should get a bigger bike but not a 600/400cc, I think a CBR250 would be fine or even a cruiser which will give you even better control.

Try to do the IBT with another person it will halve the cost....and if you get an instructor that will not discount there are plenty that will.
    Women can handle bikes as good as anyone. I know a woman who has a busa and she has been everywhere on the yoke. She's only a little short arse aswell. There's a few women around with big bikes

seanybiker wrote: »
    Women can handle bikes as good as anyone. I know a woman who has a busa and she has been everywhere on the yoke. She's only a little short arse aswell. There's a few women around with big bikes

Yeah I know that, but I think wonder boy was jus making sure I dnt get landed with a big massive yoke!

oh and @ cantdecide: dnt worry ill have gear and i only plan on taking ot round a nice flat field and if I go well then down a small cul de sac. very basic stuff just to see how I manage. Thanks though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Yeah I know that, but I think wonder boy was jus making sure I dnt get landed with a big massive yoke!

oh and @ cantdecide: dnt worry ill have gear and i only plan on taking ot round a nice flat field and if I go well then down a small cul de sac. very basic stuff just to see how I manage. Thanks though:D

Have you ever riden a bike before ? I know in the OP you said you were driven, be careful, very easy to get stuck on the throttle and brake when things go a bit wrong, have a look at this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlYymSFq5L4

Not trying to scare you but just be very careful, field or cul de sac or road, the dangers are all the same.

@ oleras:

Haven't ridden a bike, but have ridden a scooter. different I know. but the basic balance is there. :rolleyes:

I intend to be very cautious, and I appreciate what you're saying. Bike are very powerful.
    I'll be getting plenty of instruction from experienced guys. The loaner bike I am meant to be getting will be brought out with my firnd who has RoSPA training etc So twill all be fairly above board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Some general tips:

1. Get a naked bike (without fairings). It's alot more forgiving to being dropped.
    2. Get something other than a 125. You can't do your test on it, and you'll be bored with it in a month. a 250 or 400 would be better. Any bigger and they start to get a bit heavy. A BROS would be good, but they are getting old. Something with a low seating position, so that your feet can be planted firmly on the ground.
    3. Bear in mind alot of 250+ bikes will need to be restricted. A BROS, Super4 (CB-400) or a Honda Hornet 250 are NOT learner legal with restriction. Make sure to get the restriction certificate with it.
    5. Have someone who knows what they're doing look at the bike. I would go for Restriction, Condition, Reliability, Price as the major points in that order.
    4. Cotters do good deals on gear. If you are clever, you can get kitted out fully for 350 Yoyos or so. Get a decent Jacket, Trousers, boots, gloves, and most importantly - Lid. Don't skimp on this one. I was lucky and got a very good shop display model for under 100. Chance your arm and see what they have - they're a decent bunch in there.

Incidently, I have a CB400 that I am thinking about letting go (I want a Deauville). Ideal starter bike, 1995 reg, and I'd let it go cheap to a boardsie. It's in decent condition, restricted with papers, and needs a left hand wing mirror glass to be 100%. It would be painful to let it go, but I can't have 2 bikes. PM me if interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

seanybiker wrote: »

I am sure she can seany, but you telling me she hoped on a busa with little or no experience????

This is from a learner point of view....I am not saying for one minute that women cant handle a big bike :confused: I am saying the poster asked for advice for a bike starting out and some peeps were saying get a bigger bike off the bat.....

Most if not all bikes are pretty easy to control at speed, its the slow manouvers in and around traffic etc you dont want to struggle with power and control of a bike.

Ah I know yeah. I got bored last night and there was only crap threads being posted so I came in here to post just for something to do :pac:

Okay so I probably have an old bike with gears sorted for next week to try out :D so that'l be great.

Been looking at bikes on net and getting insurance quotes.

Called into Meskell's in Limerick aswel and found them to be really helpful! Saw some very nice bikes.

What kinda bike you trying out next week?

• Advertisement

I dnt know yet. A friend is sorting it for me but I think it's some old 80cc with gears. as long as it has gears it'll be fine so I get used to changing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Hey there, just thought i would throw in my 2 cent,

you seem to have a good head on your shoulders so i cant imagine you will end up with anything but a good learning experience and as long as you take everything at your own pace you;ll be a biker for life!

As with most of the others i agree you should definitely start over 125cc, i started with the cbr125 because i was in a bit of a rush and regretted it mainly because i had to sit my test on a school bike to get my A licence. i have a cb400 super four now and it's just the right bike for me size wise it fits really well, i didnt read if you said how tall you were but if there are bikes of all styles to fit everyone, i have a friend whos barely 5 foot and she rides a yamaha R6 like it's a childs bike.

Have a look on adverts/donedeal at the bikes to guage the prices there going for alot of bikes are wildly over priced, i have nothing against bike shops but they tend to be the most over priced, especially at this time of year with the weather changing for the better.

When you buy a bike make sure you have a biker go along with you.. when you go to buy a bike your eyes will be full of all the great things about the bike, you need someone objective to find and point out if the tyres need replacing or the chain and sprocket are in good shape, i imagine you probably thought of it already but i couldn't recommend anything higher. and watchout for stickers on bikes.. more than once have seen them used to hide fairly bad scratches and dents that you would look right past.

if i was you i would wait until after i do the IBT by then you will know if it's for you and if it is spend a good amount on gear.. i wouldn't look for change out of a €1000, it will help build confidence and if the worst was to happen you want every penny protecting you.. i would rather ride a honda 50 in full leathers and look odd, than ride a fireblade in jeans and a cheap lid.

best of luck with the training and theory test.. and have fun in the field! remember Rubber side Down!

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    Hey there, just thought i would throw in my 2 cent,

you seem to have a good head on your shoulders so i cant imagine you will end up with anything but a good learning experience and as long as you take everything at your own pace you;ll be a biker for life!

best of luck with the training and theory test.. and have fun in the field! remember Rubber side Down!

Thanks for all the advice inchiuvatu! tis very much appreciated! :)

I had my first spin on the starter bike yday! twas AWESOME!!! :D It's a Honda Super? 80cc.... LOVELY little thing. in my humble opinion a lovely starting pt ;)

I was on it about an hr and got as far as 3rd gear--not speeding or anything- startin on gravelled are beside house n headin towards field and wwas able to shift up n dwn between 1st n 3rd fairly well by end of the hour. Turning left is no bother bu turning right is a bit sticky as the mo as I seem so have a habit of revving up... :confused: but I got one good right turn before I finished. Also kinda mastered taking off and stopping and putting bike in neutral!
    so I am looking forward to going back out today for some more practice :cool:

Have to day it helps that the teacher is prety col. My friend C-the one who took me out on his Honda 800, sorted the starter bike and was teaching me on it last night so Im fairly lucky that way Id say :p

Nice one. Delighted to hear your enjoying yourself anyways. Gravel can be fair loose so mind yourself

Yeah Im taking handy on gravel, it's kinda sparce so not as slippy :) The gravel leads out onto field so going up gears on it leading onto field. tis good fun :)

Just in frm another session, was practicing tight turns in first gear and then builing up spped and soming dwn tru the gears... I stayed on for everything so Im happy out.
    finding the tight turns a wee bit tricky. 5/10 i have to steady myself with my foot so trying to work on that cuz I understand in the test ur not allowed put the foot dwn whilst turning tightly, U turn me thinks. :)

Your flying so. You'll pick up the tight corners handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

When your doing the likes of slow U-turns if you use the rear brake it will help you manage the speed but leaves the front wheel free to control the bike nice and handy. when you get into the IBT and proper bike control and it will all fall into place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Also make an effort to look well down the road where you want to go. If you concentrate on the kerb or a point on the road near to you, you will find it harder not to put your foot down.

Just be happy to come to terms with the controls for now. Don't worry too much about more advanced techniques. That's what the IBT is for.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the tips guys! Much appreciated :)

Im discovering that a little bit of speed helps too, tis much easier to do it in 2nd gear than first, and Im also getting the hang of the back break. :D
    Oh n Simona, yeah that's working better, I was getting too caught up in the turning and not looking forwards. Im getting there though ;)

Tis great fun so far!

Advertisement