Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nifty-fifty with AF for motor-less cameras

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

quilmore wrote: »

that kinda came out of nowhere :confused: I wonder if it's a mistake or something. It's probably well overdue but I don't think they'd even hinted that they might be doing one, let alone announcing it ...

Bets on the page will be pulled shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Bah. G lens. And a 58mm filter thread ??!? That's a break from the norm, although (just checking there) the same as the 1.4 AFS. Still kinda annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Bah. G lens. And a 58mm filter thread ??!? That's a break from the norm

no new lens from nikon includes the aperture ring, why will you need it anyway?
    58mm is the standard filter size for "normal" nikon 50mm lenses since 1986

quilmore wrote: »
    no new lens from nikon includes the aperture ring, why will you need it anyway?
    58mm is the standard filter size for "normal" nikon 50mm lenses since 1986

Yeah I know about the aperture ring. It still gets my goat a bit. 52mm was the standard filter size for the last god knows when, not 58mm. 52mm for the standard primes, and 77mm for the big pro zooms. Even the 35mm f/1.8 AFS is 52mm. I think the new 50mm AFS was the first one to not be 52mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

50mm 1.8G plugs a gaping hole thats been there the past few years. cheap, good quality and AF's on cheap nikon bodies.

pete4130 wrote: »
    50mm 1.8G plugs a gaping hole thats been there the past few years. cheap, good quality and AF's on cheap nikon bodies.

Well, no word as to what price it's going to be yet. Arguably, given that all the motor-less nikon bodies were all DX format, the 35mm AFS plugged that hole ages ago anyhow. An AFS 1.8 was long overdue though. It'll be interesting to see what this one is actually like, looks like a complete reboot optically. The AFD version is exactly the same as the AIS and AI versions. OTOH, sticking an Aspherical element into it could just be an excuse to jack up the price ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I have a feeling it's still going to be expensive, more expensive than the 35mm 1.8 anyways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd love do see a competitively priced 24mm f1.8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Yeah I know about the aperture ring. It still gets my goat a bit. 52mm was the standard filter size for the last god knows when, not 58mm. 52mm for the standard primes, and 77mm for the big pro zooms. Even the 35mm f/1.8 AFS is 52mm. I think the new 50mm AFS was the first one to not be 52mm.

apologies, I stand corrected, it was 52mm all along and it's now 58mm for the 50 af-s 1.4 and this one :o
    and as forecasted, the link to it doesn't work anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Bah. G lens. And a 58mm filter thread ??!? That's a break from the norm, although (just checking there) the same as the 1.4 AFS. Still kinda annoying.

<3 the 50 1.4, possibly my favourite lens.

(Sorry I know this is fairly OT :P)

Advertisement