Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one know what type of acers these are ?

Options
  • 13-04-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Would appreciate if someone could tell me the makes of these acers.. (japanese maples) ..

Is the red one a bloodgood ??

Many Thanks ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

nottooxabi wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Would appreciate if someone could tell me the makes of these acers.. (japanese maples) ..

Is the red one a bloodgood ??

Many Thanks ..
    The red one looks like acer plmatum red pygmy,japanese maple.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Dunno but I really wanna try smoking the first one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

It could be "Bloodgood"..

But:

"Acer palmatum includes hundreds of named cultivars with countless forms, colors, leaf types, sizes, and preferred growing conditions."

wikimajig http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_palmatum

They both look great.. so I would call them Bob and Jim :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

Thank God to see a lovely red brick wall on Boards gardening instead of the bloody awful concrete efforts of which there is a plethora in the pictures thread, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nottooxabi

But:

"Acer palmatum includes hundreds of named cultivars with countless forms, colors, leaf types, sizes, and preferred growing conditions."

Thanks for the replies.. the reason i ask is i was thinking of planting one or both in the garden ... and just want to find out the proper growing conditions.. I believe acers hate the wind ... so a sheltered spot is required..?

I presume these guys could grow pretty big ? The green one (BOB) is a beauty ... A 10 foot version would be pretty awesome..

This is the second year I have them and they were basically twigs during the winter... I actually thought they were dead...but then spring arrived and they took off again... hardy fellas !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Meelich

I don't know what they are called however I have both of these exact ones in my garden (bizarre). The green one was there when we moved in 10 years ago but is deffo some type of dwarf as it is about 3 ft high. The red one I bought in a pot, and kept in a pot until about 2 years ago when I planted out and it has really sprouted since then and is now about 5 ft tall and I am going to have to move it as it is in front of a window about to block the light entirely so will have to move it. Our back garden is quite sheltered and south facing but one is against an east facing and the other against a north facing and both thriving. Apparently they don't like morning sun in the winter. I do absolutely nothing with mine and they are thriving and so pretty with wonderful foliage in the autumn.

One piece of advice I was given about them was to remove any dead branches in Jan/feb before they start sprouting leaves and it helps keep the branches clear to grow and lets in air around the plant (a bit similiar to how to prune a rose bush in that you don't have branches growing over each other).

Advertisement