Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Tralee.

Options
  • 13-04-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I'm aware that there's no specific forum for this particular college, so posting here seems like my best bet. Anyway.. Are there any ITT students here? I'm thinking of enrolling in Wildlife Biology [or its level 6 NFQ equivalent, it depends on a number of factors], but I'd like to know a bit more about this highly elusive place of learning.
    Firstly, if anybody is doing/has graduated from Wildlife Biology: is the course any good? I'm into botany and ethology in a big way, and the modules offered sync up nicely with my interests. Any pitfalls [bad lecturers, substandard facilities etc]?
    Secondly, is the college itself nice? And Tralee itself?

Input would be appreciated; the course looks good, but I'm a bit leery about the location and the quality of the Institute. I haven't been able to find any good pictures of the campus[es] either, so I wouldn't mind one or two of those.
    I spent two months at Cork IT last year doing a course I hated, so I'm familiar enough with the college environment, and I'm aware that it won't be at a University standard in terms of facilities and so forth.

Much obliged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

I'm a student there, finishing this year.
    The campus is divided between North and South with the North generally being better equipped (in as much as any place like this is). If your having to get parking at the South campus, forget it.

While the town doesn't have to great a rep I've not heard of anyone getting into any real trouble or well any trouble for that matter and the rental market is okay too.

As for the quality of the course I can't really comment on it as I was/am on a CS course but feel free to PM me for more if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MissyB71

Hi. I went to ittralee, finished last year. North campus! Don't know about your course, it's relatively new so in my opinion and experience, ye will be the guinea pigs! My advice: don't expect it to be perfect, either the college, town, course or the lecturers and you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cat74

Hi just a warning dont go their. the college is a joke its the worst ran college i say in the country if you have to have an exam review it will take 4 weeks and no body knows anything when u ring up they will pass u from one department to another and then they will turn down your review its just the money they want. go to the students union and they are as bad they are not their to help anyway must be getting money too!!! cant say enought bad things about this college and if u look at cao points for courses in it tralee the keep going down every year this year social care dropped 30 points word getting around about how bad it is. their was a report in the irish times about social care course failing all the students in 2010 and i can tell u it just happened again this year students now face the going on the dole thanks to the well ran college in tralee

Hi. Went there myself a few years back and while I didn't find management bad in that I was able to organise repeats and deferrals of exams etc, I found a lot to fault it on also.

The front desk however were so notorious for passing people off that a lecturer advised me to take a pen and paper with me and appear to write down everything they said and that, she assured me, would make them sit up. It actually worked! They gave me some quick answer, I put my paper and pen on the counter and started to write and immediately the lady said "wait there and I'll check that" and would you believe, she came back with a different reply, the correct one!

So, I'd encourage you not to up. Go to the front desk(pen and paper in hand) and ask who you should speak to in relation to exam reviews.

Good luck! I hope you battle on despite their failures. Don't aim for perfection because they don't expect it and don't mark exams that way. You will have a degree out of it in the end if you just keep your head down and then you're out of there. Only you need know the paper is actually a piece of sh*te!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pogmobum

Did u do the course? Was it any good I'm thinking of doing the same one this year

• Advertisement

Hi pogmobum. Can't believe I just wrote that :) I know a couple of people doing Wildlife biology right now, second year, and they are enjoying it so far. First year was great because students get to go out into the field weekly and learn survival skills,recovery skills etc. They don't in second year but there are plenty of chances to join in the social outings. The subjects are tough and a lot of students failed on many subjects but passed in the repeat exams. One guy left.

Hi pogmobum. Can't believe I just wrote that :) I know a couple of people doing Wildlife biology right now, second year, and they are enjoying it so far. First year was great because students get to go out into the field weekly and learn survival skills,recovery skills etc. They don't in second year but there are plenty of chances to join in the social outings. The subjects are tough and a lot of students failed on many subjects but passed in the repeat exams. One guy left the course.

Advertisement