Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky in apartment

• 13-04-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Contact an independant installer-that Sky for you apartment number seems to be just for the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

AFAIK the sole contractor in Dublin for this is KBO Sky and, according to their forum on neighbours.ie their contact number is 1890 24 7 999. I presume they could tell you if your block is enabled or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭the corpo

it depends where you live. our installer in ashtown was finlay, i think.

we only got it a couple of months back, this is the number i got

0818 719858

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭the corpo

oh, pm me and i can give you the number of the engineer who did the installation if that number above doesn't work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

AFAIK the sole contractor in Dublin for this is KBO Sky and, according to their forum on neighbours.ie their contact number is 1890 24 7 999. I presume they could tell you if your block is enabled or not.
    Kbo are not the sole contractor for Dublin or anywhere else. Try this no.0818210550

Try 0818212200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

I have sky in my apartment using the shared dish, I rang Sky on 0818 719819 and they sorted it out for me..And it is available in Ireland.

• Advertisement

You should absolutely be able to avail of Sky's standard offers. Makes no difference if your in an apartment or not. Are you sure it's KBO that have the contract in your complex?

€30 install fee is standard-no way to get it waived,the Sky+ box is free and it's just the install/setup you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 vdubber9411

If its a Sky Homes job, contact Finlays direct on 0044 2891455136, they have the Sky Home Contract North and South

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Seemingly the Sky people constantly put people through to Finlays (happened to me and several neighbours) and they gave us the number for KBO.

Just make sure that the management company has sanctioned this first - dishes generally can't be put up until the company gives authorisation for the dishes to go on the roof or wherever although I'd guess the installers will tell you this anyway (Sky may not...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MrSneeg

instead of moaning,

live in a place with freedom,

read your contract,

you cant have it all ways,

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Hylus83

Folks sky's shared dish service is being installed this week in my complex. I have a question for those on this thread who have had it installed in their complex.

Was your apartment already wired for cable? If so, did the installers just use existing wiring to feed the sky signal to your apartments' tv points, or were new cables fed to your apartment?

Reason I ask is because I have tv points in my apartment that are fed by UPC. I have broadband from UPC also through these same cable points. If sky use this network of cables to feed my individual apartment with their signals, I'll loose my super fast broadband with UPC (I presume - or maybe I'm wrong)

Did any of you have broadband with UPC prior to getting sky installed in your apartments & were you able to keep this broadband after it was installed? Or how did the shared sky dish signals reach your apartment?

Hylus83 wrote: »
    Folks sky's shared dish service is being installed this week in my complex. I have a question for those on this thread who have had it installed in their complex.

Was your apartment already wired for cable? If so, did the installers just use existing wiring to feed the sky signal to your apartments' tv points, or were new cables fed to your apartment?

Reason I ask is because I have tv points in my apartment that are fed by UPC. I have broadband from UPC also through these same cable points. If sky use this network of cables to feed my individual apartment with their signals, I'll loose my super fast broadband with UPC (I presume - or maybe I'm wrong)

Did any of you have broadband with UPC prior to getting sky installed in your apartments & were you able to keep this broadband after it was installed? Or how did the shared sky dish signals reach your apartment?

The satellite installers will use separate cables for your tv service,they cannot use the UPC cables as they are UPC property.You won't lose your broadband.

• Advertisement

So I got clarification from the installers, they're going to use the buildings existing cables that feed apartments from the central connection base in the basement. However as each TV point in an apartment only has a single cable feed (and sky+ requires two feeds) they'll have to use the other, single feed from the bedroom tv point & run it through to the living room.

This of course means that TV in the bedroom is not now possible!

Does anyone also have this setup &/or is there a better alternative to this that you're aware of (that doesn't require wiring new cables to the apartment)?

Oh, I'll still get to keep my UPC broadband as the engineer said they'll use a diplex or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

I saw a communal installation in apartment blocks beside the racecourse in Dundalk that Finlays done, it was a 80cm dish with a powered optical LNB and 1 length of Fibre optic cable running from the LNB to a junction box of some description (I did'nt open it up to see the set up) and numerous fibre cables running from it to each apartment and then hooked up to a quad optical converter in each apartment which provided 4 feeds for each apartment.

Doing a quick read up on this set up it seems the optical LNB can feed up to 32 of the Converters which makes up 128 satellite feeds but perhaps others here will be able to confirm that as I don't know an awful lot about it.

The fibre cable is tiny and is about half the width of a shoe lace, it was run in the joins between the bricks on the outside walls and drilled in the corners of whatever room the tv was in and you would'nt even know it was there.

I'm sure others who know more about these than me can give you more info about it and it seems a great set up for apartments but as you'd imagine its expensive.

Just to add there were a couple of residents who already had Sky installed in their apartments before this communal system was installed (They had their own dish) and when Finlays came on the scene they only hooked up one of the feeds to their Sky Plus box and they were baffled as to why their Sky was'nt working correctly, they contacted Finlays and were told they had to pay €120 - €150 for a second feed to be connected!! There were 3 unused feeds coming out from their converter and they were'nt told about them! All that was needed for their 2nd feed was a 1 metre length of coax terminated at either end with F plugs! Bit mean that I thought!

Unfortunately my apartment complex haven't allowed for that external optical feed setup. The installation company were only allowed to use the existing cabling feeding each apartment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It really differs from one apartment building to another.

In my case, they ran two new cables to each apartment, down the front of the apartment building, but pushed in behind the cladding in front of the apartment building, so very neat job.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Subber08

the corpo wrote: »
    it depends where you live. our installer in ashtown was finlay, i think.

we only got it a couple of months back, this is the number i got

0818 719858

Sorry for bringing up an old thread - can you get this KBO company to set up sky for you in your apartment is it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Out of interest can you get Sky Q installed in an apartment block?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Out of interest can you get Sky Q installed in an apartment block?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement