Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Decking Question

• 13-04-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

sorry .
    just a quick question - a deck will probably be built over part concrete/part lawn. I'm wondering how the posts on the concrete part are fixed and secured?
    any advice/guides appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

depending on what you end up doing the size and weight of deck may not require anything to be fixed to the concrete, just let it sit there

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

ta for that, probably right, the deck will be longish, but it will be only a step high.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kitchens decks

let the posts just sit on the concrete the weight of the deck will keep them in place and keep frame supported well that there is no spring on the frame.. make sure any posts on the grass end are concreted in place otherwise they may sink over time its better long term , also place weed block over the grass before you put your frame in place

• Registered Users Posts: 43 chiplad

Hi,

I'm going to put down a deck in the next 2 weeks or so - similar to the OPs one in that it will be built partly over concrete and partly grass. It will be approx. 4m x 4m.
    Do I need to use some concrete foundation / posts in the grass part? Or will a deck this size need any support?

Thanks guys.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

chiplad wrote: »
    Hi,
    Do I need to use some concrete foundation / posts in the grass part? Or will a deck this size need any support?

Thanks guys.

I used 18" square paving slabs on the grass parts that my decking supports were sitting on about 4-5 years ago and its hasnt sunk at all despite people telling me it would if I didnt concrete the supports in place.The bigger surface area of the slabs stops it sinking.

Kitchen decks is bang on aswell--the sheer weight of the decking keeps it in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement