Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambidextrous rifle stocks

Options
  • 13-04-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

As the title says this has always been an issue for me using a right handed rifle. Nearly all aftermarket stocks are designed to soley fit a right handed person with a right handed rifle or a left handed person with a left handed rifle.

After CliveJ started a thread on gallery rifle I noticed some matches require shooting from both shoulders over a period of time. This would make alot of the after market stocks for the Ruger 10 22 unsuitable for this type of discipline as they would be only suitable for right handed shooting..

What kind of after market stocks are available(if any) for this discipline where shooting from both shoulders is required?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm starting to do research for my FYP and reckon I will design and make a stock for a rifle. Not sure what design yet but would like to do something like mentioned above. This is in the very early stages so all feedback welcome! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

patsat wrote: »
    Nearly all aftermarket stocks are designed to soley fit a right handed person with a right handed rifle or a left handed person with a left handed rifle.

This would make alot of the after market stocks for the Ruger 10 22 unsuitable for this type of discipline as they would be only suitable for right handed shooting..

What kind of after market stocks are available(if any) for this discipline where shooting from both shoulders is required?
    :)

10/22 not great for a lefty as it spits crap across your face, I used to wear sunglasses when firing mine back in the day, but once or twice got an eye full :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

10/22 not great for a lefty as it spits crap across your face, I used to wear sunglasses when firing mine back in the day, but once or twice got an eye full :eek:

Ah i see! Havent decided on doing it for a 10/22 yet tho so i'm open to suggestions! Havent ruled out doing one a centrefire either!

Ah i see! Havent decided on doing it for a 10/22 yet tho so i'm open to suggestions! Havent ruled out doing one a centrefire either!

The only lefty suited centrefire are AR variants or top ejectors like a Glock.
    I don't know what Gallery Rifles in .22 eject that way though.

If Bullpup design was not restricted you could not use one of tehm either as the shells eject into your cheek.

It's not a lefty world.

Best I can reccoment is a straight stock with a Karsten cheek riser, A Tikka or an Edi Graef stock as all can be fired lefty.

It's a Righty World

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Well

As you know - many people shoot the 10/22 in GRSB1500 so are well capable of firing it off both shoulders

there are loads of ambi stocks - including anbi thumbhole stocks for it - take a look at rudefatdog

most bullpups - such as the walther have a cocking handle sticking out of the right side of the stock so cannot be fired from the left shoulder without risking injury

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Are you talking about using a semi auto centerfire for gallery shooting ??

• Advertisement

Are you talking about using a semi auto centerfire for gallery shooting ??

No No No sorry lads if I'm confusing ye! I ain't planning on getting into gallery rifle, what i'm planning is designing and making a stock for a rifle for my FYP in collage!

I was thinking of doing a stock for a 10/22 that could be ambidextrous but am open to suggestions and may very well end up making a stock for a centrefire i.e. remington 700 or cz-550!

No No No sorry lads if I'm confusing ye! I ain't planning on getting into gallery rifle, what i'm planning is designing and making a stock for a rifle for my FYP in collage!

I was thinking of doing a stock for a 10/22 that could be ambidextrous but am open to suggestions and may very well end up making a stock for a centrefire i.e. remington 700 or cz-550!

What do you plan on making the stock out of as that will dictate the design.

Well i'm doing woodwork and construction teaching so it will be from wood!

Depending on the style of stock I plan on using either walnut or a laminated stock.

Well i'm doing woodwork and construction teaching so it will be from wood!

Depending on the style of stock I plan on using either walnut or a laminated stock.

Make a stock that the cheek piece sits in the center and not left or right to give support to a left or right handed person. There are plenty of stocks out there like that.

Also, around the grip area, whatever designes or lines you make for a shooter make sure that you mirror them to the other side.

GH

Nearly all aftermarket stocks are designed to soley fit a right handed person with a right handed rifle or a left handed person with a left handed rifle.

So your looking to build a stock for gallery shooting that is "neutral" in essence so that a left or right handed person can use it ?

Obviously the rifle/action type that you are making it for will affect its ergonomics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Take a look at the stocks for the Feinwerkbau P700 Junior:

fwp700junior_L.jpg

Or the Beretta CX-4 :

Beretta_CX4_Storm.jpg

Or the Baikal MP161K :

bkmp161k.gif

All are ambidexterous. It's basicly a matter of having a symmetrical stock and a reversible cheekpiece (or a symmetrical cheekpiece).

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/bc_2094r.jpg

Make this in Walnut and it would be lovely.
    I often wondered about bog oak and yew, as friends of mine made the most beautiful sculptures of of it.

Might not be strong enough for a gun stock though.

Some wood is a bass-tardo to work with as it splits like mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I shoot my 10/22 left handed and have never had any problems with it. I picked up a laminated stock for it off ebay that fits great. Its a pretty standard shape but I like the extra weight and stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

if you want an adjustable cheek piece this might be handy for you
    http://www.waveform.eclipse.co.uk/WEB%20PAGES/TARGET%20SHOOTING/Cheek%20Piece.htm

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/bc_2094r.jpg

Make this in Walnut and it would be lovely.
    I often wondered about bog oak and yew, as friends of mine made the most beautiful sculptures of of it.

Might not be strong enough for a gun stock though.

Some wood is a bass-tardo to work with as it splits like mad

Ya see I don't want to just take a design and copy it, its the designing that will be the main area of the project.

Thanks for all the advice lads its all been taken on board! :)

Ya see I don't want to just take a design and copy it, its the designing that will be the main area of the project.

Thanks for all the advice lads its all been taken on board! :)

Youo not copy it, you improve it.
    Make it 75% Origional and you can patent it ;)

That stock is polymer based
    You are making it from wood.

That stock is for a Remington, you make it for a CZ etc
    Every builder gets there ideas from some where.

the majority of your project will be on the written report on Primary and secondary research.

Teh minority will be the actual making of it.
    R&D are where you are at.

Study peoples hands, Ergo Grips etc.

There is a huge amount of research there

Advertisement