Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

average usage of energy

Options
  • 13-04-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

i started another thread in a different forum before spotting this one.
    Im doing a project and was wondering could anyone tell me the average watts of energy used in Irish homes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

garv123 wrote: »
    i started another thread in a different forum before spotting this one.
    Im doing a project and was wondering could anyone tell me the average watts of energy used in Irish homes.

As per the latest SEAI Report (2009) the average electricity usage per household was 5,067 Kwh For gas, SEAI quote 18,069

www.moneyguideireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ogham wrote: »
    As per the latest SEAI Report (2009) the average electricity usage per household was 5,067 Kwh For gas, SEAI quote 18,069

www.moneyguideireland.com

great thanks,

now its just to design a VAWT to produce half that energy. and idea's on calculations for that?:D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

What is the energy usage of domestic appliances? I know the tumble dryer is the greatest sinner but what about other appliances. 50" TV, built-in fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, laptop, digital/satellite TV, printers/scanners etc how much energy do these appliances use? I would like to cut my energy consumption and would like to see where the biggest savings can be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Breffni666,

There was a similar query earlier today, my response is here - I directed the customer to a number of links for helping maximise value in energy consumption, on our website.

The amount of energy used by each appliance would be dependent on how much/how long a person uses it, so we would advise to use such items sparingly and not to leave them on standby.

A seemingly small one but it makes a difference: only boil a kettle for the amount of water needed (e.g. two cups) rather than over-filling the kettle!

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smellycat123

can some please help me.
    i conducted a survey of 23 primary schools and their energy certificate indicated their electriicty usage. the total electricity usage was 817kwh/m2/year. the total area of the 23 schools was 18750. would i be correct in saying that the total electricity usage for these 23 schools is 15.32 GWh/year. does this seem high for 23 schools. please your advice is desperately needed. how i got 15.32gwh/year was 817 X 18750 = 15318750

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi smellycat123,

Your maths look ok to me, although we wouldn't have information available pertaining to what the average consumption for something like a school would be. I can tell you that the average household consumption is between 5-6,000kWh per year, or approx. 14 units per day. The following links may also be of some use:
    If you can get permission from an authorised account holder for each of the 23 accounts, you could register for our Energy Extra service, which lets you monitor your electricity consumption and demand over time, and view and compare electricity bills. This does assume that these accounts are all registered with Electric Ireland though, which may or may not be the case.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

can some please help me.
    i conducted a survey of 23 primary schools and their energy certificate indicated their electriicty usage. the total electricity usage was 817kwh/m2/year. the total area of the 23 schools was 18750. would i be correct in saying that the total electricity usage for these 23 schools is 15.32 GWh/year. does this seem high for 23 schools. please your advice is desperately needed. how i got 15.32gwh/year was 817 X 18750 = 15318750

The schools are supplied by Electric Ireland?
    Have they not shopped around for better rates with other suppliers? :confused:

Also, those figures seem ridiculously high.
    CIBSE figures give benchmarks of 40kWh/m2 for electricity and 150kWh/m2 for thermal - I find it hard to believe the schools are using 20 times the benchmark figures.
    15GWh is a huge amount of energy for schools that size.

breffni666 wrote: »
    What is the energy usage of domestic appliances? I know the tumble dryer is the greatest sinner but what about other appliances. 50" TV, built-in fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, laptop, digital/satellite TV, printers/scanners etc how much energy do these appliances use? I would like to cut my energy consumption and would like to see where the biggest savings can be made.

Funnily enough, I was reading a publication by the Energy Saving Trust, DECC & Defra yesterday:
    The average annual consumption for clothes dryers is 394kWh
    The average annual consumption for dishwashers is 294kWh
    A washing machine on average uses 166kWh per annum
    In other words, people spend more money keeping their dishes clean than their clothes clean!! :D

The report can be downloaded HERE

Advertisement