Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused - obtaining original birth cert

Options
  • 13-04-2011 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I am hoping that someone can clarify this for me.

I have just received my non-identifing information from a SW at the adoption agency that handled my adoption. My next step is to try and obtain my Birth Cert but am now confused after reading some of the older posts.

I thought I just had to go into Joyce House and search through the books, but now I'm thinking that maybe I should go to Irish Life Mall, and then go to Joyce House for my actual birth cert. Is this correct?

From reading back through some of the older posts, there was a discussion about the Adoption Board contacting the birth mother and having to have her permission for the original birth cert to be released!

Sorry that's why I am confused. Is there any point in going into Irish Life Mall myself, what exactly will I get there?

Is the information in the records books the same as what will be on my birth cert, ie mothers surname and address or will the birth cert contain more detailed information.

Sorry, but totally confused here!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Hi lily3

As far as I know, us adoptees are not officially allowed our original birth cert without getting our Birth mothers permission.

This said, it is possible to look through the books for your year in the irish life mall (they are not available in Joyce house anymore) and all births deaths and marriages are public records for anyone to look at. You can use your non identifying info to identify possible matches ie your birth first name if you have it, your county of birth, mothers maiden name being the same as the babies surname, DOB. It takes a while and you can get very blurry vision but it certainly can be done. Then when you have the possible matches you can fill in the form there and then and get a copy of the cert. It has the exact same info as what would be on the official birth cert and costs a bit less too. When you get the possible matches you can then see the hospital and mothers first name which should allow you to narrow it down even more. Just be sure to check all of the births for your year including the late registrations in the back of the book.

You can print off a copy of the trace guides on here and bring them with you. I did just to be sure I did it right! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lily3

Thanks, Tyview that clarifies a few things.

So I guess its a trip into Irish Life Mall after all. Exciting and daunting at the same time.

I have a lot of information, much more than I expected from the agency, with some lovely quotes from letters my BM had written before and after my birth and a physical description of her. That was just amazing. It made her suddenly come alive on those few pages and gave me a huge insight into her situation. To be honest my heart went out to her.

Thanks for the tips, I have printed off the trace guides and will bring them with me also snacks, drinks and eye-drops! But hopefully it will be a rewarding mornings work.

Thanks again.

Advertisement