Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from UPC

• 13-04-2011 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

Long story short... I upgraded from UPC Broadband two months ago to include TV for an extra €5 a month.

In the last two bills I've been overcharged. What's infuriating is that I called after the first bill to query this, and the agent told me it would work itself out on the next bill.

Instead, I was overcharged again as the agent didn't understand his own billing system, and so have complained to UPC. Also, this overchange would have gone unnoticed if I hadn't sat down and worked out the daily cost, and then confronted UPC about it.

Now, I'm in touch with their customer services dept, and I'm furious. I've said that a straight refund isn't enough, and I'm expecting more, and so they'll be offering me a goodwill gesture.

What I'm wondering is how hard can I push this? I've been a customer for about two years, and this has pissed me off a lot, so what can I expect to get offered? And can I demand more if I feel it's not good enough?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Wow....2 billing errors and you want blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Wow....2 billing errors and you want blood.

It's the fact that I called their support after the first overcharge and was assured it was fine, and would be sorted on the next bill. And they would've billed me extra every month if I hadn't sat down and worked it out. Not a good service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

It's the fact that I called their support after the first overcharge and was assured it was fine, and would be sorted on the next bill. And they would've billed me extra every month if I hadn't sat down and worked it out. Not a good service.

As long as the error is corrected, leave it at that.
    If I were you, I'd get over it. No point bursting blood vessels over a goodwill gesture which would probably be something like a 5% discount on one bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Dont expect anything, check your contract. It says they essentially cant be held liable for anything other than the loss of service - ie if you have no tv for 3 days they credit you the cost of 3 days tv service and not the price of you renting dvds to entertain yourself in the meantime + what you feel is fair to balance any annoyance. TBH its the only realistic way to run a business as everyone would view and value their time and annoyance differently.

13.3 In no event will we be liable to you for any consequential or indirect losses,
    including but not limited to loss of revenue, profits, contracts or anticipated savings or
    wasted expense, or any financial loss or loss of data or liability to third parties for
    damage, or any general loss on account of the loss of use of the Services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Looking over old threads and to update this one...

To all the people who said I'd get nothing out of UPC... I ended up getting 10 months worth of a free upgrade to their next TV package up, worth around €85.

Don't be afraid to demand bloody good customer service folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Have been fighting with them for months with overcharging, had to cancel the direct debit after several emails failed to get them to respond. Previous comments are right they do not understand their own billing system.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement