Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Pollen info site.

Options
  • 13-04-2011 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can find pollen information for Dublin. Everything i've found with google either has no data or is months or more out of date.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

sKeith wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can find pollen information for Dublin. Everything i've found with google either has no data or is months or more out of date.

They'll be on met.ie from May 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I've been sneezing like crazy lately, runny nose, and sore eyes and have no idea if its hay fever season yet, or i'm just coming down with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

I've been sneezing like crazy lately, runny nose, and sore eyes and have no idea if its hay fever season yet, or i'm just coming down with something.
    Plenty of Pollen about. Check this out UK Pollen Calender, which should correspind to Ireland also:
    polcalendar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

There is an iphone app from www.irishHealth.com witha pollen index on it. I have it since last yr and it seems up to date. They prob also have it on their website somewhere, have forgotten my login details so cant get the link for you, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

loup wrote: »
    There is an iphone app from www.irishHealth.com witha pollen index on it. I have it since last yr and it seems up to date. They prob also have it on their website somewhere, have forgotten my login details so cant get the link for you, sorry!

Here's the link to the Pollen Alert App
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available from the App store anymore and only test data is available on the Irish Health Pollen Alert page at the moment.

Maybe they'll begin to update it again later in the season

• Advertisement

Thanks for the Irish health site, its one of the ones i found with Google that was out of date. It looks like a forgotten about project.

Thanks for the Irish health site, its one of the ones i found with Google that was out of date. It looks like a forgotten about project.

This might help give you a general idea of the pollen count until the more detailed Met Eireann info becomes available in May.

Not great I know but better than nothing

Met Éireann now have detailed Pollen Information on their website

"POLLEN FORECAST FOR MET EIREANN SPECIES: GRASS

Monday 30th May

Region Index Comments

1. Leinster 1 Unsettled conditions are expected to keep grass pollen counts low.

2. Munster 1 Unsettled conditions are expected to keep grass pollen counts low.

3. Connacht 1 Unsettled conditions are expected to keep grass pollen counts low.

4. Ulster 1 Unsettled conditions are expected to keep grass pollen counts low.

Outlook for the next two days:

Tuesday and Wednesday: The weather is expected to be unsettled and so grass pollen counts will remain low.

The pollen seasons of allergenic trees have ended but there are still likely to be low background concentrations of tree pollen in the air when it remains dry and bright.

Pollen grains from grasses are the most important aeroallergen in Ireland. Grass pollen affects up to about 95% of hay fever sufferers. The start of the grass pollen season is approaching and there is a risk of grass pollen counts increasing to moderate or high in southern and central parts of Ireland during early June when conditions are suitable. Rain and strong winds cause pollen counts to decrease.

Weed pollen is also an important aeroallergen affecting about 20% of hay fever sufferers. The nettle family (Urticaceae), plantain (Plantago), dock (Rumex), mugwort (Artemisia) and fat hen (Chenopodium) are the most important allergenic weeds. Low concentrations of Urticaceae, plantain and dock pollen are likely, especially in southern and central regions, when conditions are suitable.

Oilseed rape is now flowering. Oilseed rape pollen can cause hay fever in a small number of sufferers but Volatile Organic Compounds given off by the plant can cause irritation of the upper respiratory tract and eyes in some people in close proximity to the crop.

Key to Index:
    1, 2, 3 = L = Low
    4, 5 = M = Moderate
    6, 7 = H = High
    8, 9, 10 = VH = Very high

E-mail: pollen@worc.ac.uk

© National Pollen and Aerobiology Research Unit"

Pollen site back online again. If anybody is interested.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/pollen.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

I wrote to Met Eireann as the pollen page is there BUT there is no link to it under the Forecasts section on the left hand side. No reply as yet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Somethings been really hitting me for the last few weeks this season, worse than ever before, completely clogged from 9 am-11 am and 9pm-11pm at night then again with painfully stinging eyes and sneezing thoughout the day, living in Greystones, I wonder if theres some new weed flowering at the minute or something because I was never this bad.

The Asthma Society have some useful info & advice for hay fever and asthma sufferers Thargor

Their free 'Asthma Coach' iPhone app also includes a good regional pollen forecast
    It's a bit of a palaver to set it up initially but I find it very good

Advertisement