Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6'1 First Motorbike

• 13-04-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

Hi all. There are plenty of threads here in relation to first bikes for learners but I was wondering whether you could help me with regards to a learner bike that wouldn't look too foolish with someone who's 6'1 with a medium build.

I always liked the look of the Honda CBR125R but I can only imagine that I'd 'fit' on it by being 5'5-5'9 or shorter.

Then this draws me towards something like a used (and factory restricted!) CBR600 which I believe I would most certainly fit on.

I'm not really after cruisers. I just want something that looks 'sporty'. I'm not planning on getting a Hayabusa or anything like that but just like the look of those kind of bikes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance..!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Any of the 600 sportsbikes will fit the bill, but I'd consider something like a Bandit 600 a better bet for someone inexperienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

The Bandit does look good! Would many of them be factory restricted or are they mainly restricted afterwards? Just don't want to be creamed on insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Any fully faired sports bike will rape you on insurance if its a first bike and your young. Look at the naked or semi-naked end of things, SV650, Bandit, Hornet, Er-6n/Er-6f, v-strom etc.

The Bandit does look good! Would many of them be factory restricted or are they mainly restricted afterwards? Just don't want to be creamed on insurance.

Factory restriction is hard to get and harder to convince the insurance company of.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Im 6'2" and ride a Bandit. Not a bother atal...and am lookin to get a supersports after a while...the Gixxers are meant to be the best comfort-wise, or so I hear, in the SS 600 class, then again you dont buy a SS for comfort!!

BTW Insurance for me(22 y.o) on a prov. with no previous exp was €750.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi all. There are plenty of threads here in relation to first bikes for learners but I was wondering whether you could help me with regards to a learner bike that wouldn't look too foolish with someone who's 6'1 with a medium build.

You'll be grand.

Just to give you an idea, I'm 6'2'' and large build.

Here's a photo of me on a bandit a few years ago (I don't dwarf it).

They're a comfy bike, a little top heavy and under powered but since its a first bike you'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

this is mine that im selling. im 5'11'' and 15 stone. really comfortable bike.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/other-suzuki/other-suzuki/suzuki-gsxr600-factory-restricted/521164

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

One of me friends is 6'8 and he had a bandit 6 for a few years and he put up loads of miles on it. Don't remember him having any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Awesome thread! I'm 6'3 and looking to get a bike maybe this summer. I'm liking this bandit more and more.

You'll be grand.

Good bikes for the wheelies to :-)

You still have bandit or what ya got?

• Advertisement

Anyone have an opinion on the Kawasaki Ninja 250R or the Hyosung GT250R?

They look like great bikes but I have yet to see one in the flesh so don't know whether they'd compare sizewise to a Bandit.

EDIT: Just did a quick search for insurance - Quinn are at €450 for either of the above two.

Anyone have an opinion on the Kawasaki Ninja 250R or the Hyosung GT250R?

They look like great bikes but I have yet to see one in the flesh so don't know whether they'd compare sizewise to a Bandit.

EDIT: Just did a quick search for insurance - Quinn are at €450 for either of the above two.

Small, very small bike. Good first bike though. I would go for the Kawasaki over the Hyosung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Head to somewhere like bikeworld and sit on a few bikes to see whats comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Or buy mine :D

seanybiker wrote: »
    Good bikes for the wheelies to :-)

You still have bandit or what ya got?

Nah, they're crap for wheelies - you've to ring the bollox out of them, they just don't have the low down torque plus first & second gear are too tall for wheelies without dumping the clutch and wrenching the fvcker up.

I still ride a bandit.

I used to wheelie mine off the throttle no bothers. Was a deadly bike till the knackers robbed it in me haha. Seriously thinking bout getting a bandit 12

Sorry to add to this but I think I've settled on one of three bikes -

The Ninja 250R, the Hyosung 250GTR and the Honda CBR250. Anyone have any idea whether the CBR250 will be released in Ireland at any point? Honda Ireland don't have it on their site but it's in the UK.

Go for the ninja. Them new cbr 250s are fooking horrible looking yokes. The old cbr 250s are deadly though.

The Ninja is definitely in the lead with the Hyosung being tempting mainly due to it being a physically larger bike. I wouldn't mind getting to actually see a CBR 250 in the flesh though. Have you gotten a chance to drive the newer ones Seanybiker?

No never rode one of the new ones. Only seen em online is all.

• Advertisement

No never rode one of the new ones. Only seen em online is all.
    Definitely appreciate your advice though. If the more recent CBR250s aren't good compared to the older ones then the chances of Honda making a vast improvement probably aren't great.

Still won't hurt to have a look though. :)

Got a chance to sit on both the Ninja and CBR250 today. Have to admit that the Honda has the upper hand on position and overall comfort. I felt a little too 'big' on the Ninja. That said it doesn't look like Ireland will be getting the Red/Silver combination that I think is gorgeous.

2011-Honda-CBR250R-red.jpg

The model I sat on was a red white and blue combination. It still looked good..!

honda-cbr250r1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Those bikes look really nice. I'm 6'3 so I'm interested in pretty much the same stuff as yourself.

But my budget is really small. So are they new bikes coming out or are there old ones already here in Ireland?

Sitting on a bike and riding a bike can be two entirely separate things. Especially with sports seating positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

ninja is a lovely bike, and according to most on here its one of the best beginner bike around....
    correct me if i am wrong here but the cbr 250 is only a single cylinder so to get a 6ft frame moving i think you would have to drive the balls off it... and get decent ear protection as she would be screaming at motorway speeds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Honda Varadaro 125 is a good bike for a tall person. Group 2 insurance, so cheap to insure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

This guy is really good, watched a few of his reviews.
    I think the new cbr is nice. The cbr250r comes in two models; with abs or without, obviously that will affect the price.

Where did you get to sit on one ForegoneReality?
    Did you get an idea of the price of a new cbr250r Vs ninjaZ250?

Hey Ruffty. I called into the Lee Honda Centre in Little Island, Cork. Spoke with the sales manager who was very helpful. If I got the same help in a car dealership I would have probably upgraded my own car!

They had two CBR250s, both in the above racing colours. Very nice with a tag of €4,999. They had a used Ninja 250 as well. Was in great nick. To get one of those new is about €5,250. The ninja had the looks going for it but the position just wasn't right. I had to arch my back more so than I had to on the Honda. I could just imagine my wrists killing me if I owned a Ninja. Nearly makes me wish I was smaller!

I don't think either of the CBR250s in the showroom had the ABS option.

I used to wheelie mine off the throttle no bothers.

Seriously?.. I find I've to have an almost empty tank and sit right back in the saddle to get the fvcker up.

• Advertisement

Seriously?.. I find I've to have an almost empty tank and sit right back in the saddle to get the fvcker up.
    Yeah it was a legend at them. Some of the wheelie schools use them and all.

Advertisement