Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7mm 08

Options
  • 13-04-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

New rifle, and got my hands on some 139 grn SST Hornaday im hunting mostly fallow, sika and a few reds anyone got any views on the rifle or round .. always greatful for your opinions

johnnie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Nimrod69 wrote: »
    New rifle, and got my hands on some 139 grn SST Hornaday im hunting mostly fallow, sika and a few reds anyone got any views on the rifle or round .. always greatful for your opinions

johnnie

In 139grain SSt Hornady, a screamer of a round. Dwighet off here uses one, he gave a good review of it on a website recently.
    I think Kramer uses one.

http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-08-Rem-139-gr-SST-superformance/
    Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    MUZZLE 100 200 300 400 500
    2950/2686 2757/2345 2571/2040 2393/1768 2222/1524 2059/1308

Trajectory (inches)
    MUZZLE 100 200 300 400 500
    -1.50 1.50 0.00 -6.80 -19.70 -39.60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

johnnie

Great round. A couple of lads I know shoot it.
    Plenty of power and flatter than a .308

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

johnnie

I have heard great things about the 7mm Rem Mag. From what the reloading manuals are telling me, there is not a whole lot of difference between the 7mm-08 and 7mm Rem Mag.

My fundamental is the American round, the 30-06. However, I just picked up 7mm Rem Mag as I have heard great things about it: flat trajectory, ...

The 7mm-08 will be fine for any game in Ireland and might just be one of the best rounds for Ireland.

The magnum will demonstrably perform better at distances greater than 300ya. But less than that, it is more about the shooter.

Concisely: excellent choice. The only concern is availability of ammo.

We await your field test!

I have held a box of 7mm-08 in my hand, but it was years ago.

I remember a RFD telling me there was No Such Thing :eek:

I'd like one for varminting :eek::eek::eek:

get this

.308 150 grain Superformance has a Flatter Traj than 139 grain 7mm-08 :eek:

http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-150-gr-SST-Superformance/

http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-08-Rem-139-gr-GMX-Superformance/

Got to be something wrong there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

I have held a box of 7mm-08 in my hand, but it was years ago.

I remember a RFD telling me there was No Such Thing :eek:

I'd like one for varminting :eek::eek::eek:

get this

.308 150 grain Superformance has a Flatter Traj than 139 grain 7mm-08 :eek:

http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-150-gr-SST-Superformance/

http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-08-Rem-139-gr-GMX-Superformance/

Got to be something wrong there!!

Jaysus tack, splitting hairs there! Ive heard it outperforms 308 in both trajectory and wind drift. Lots of good reports about it.
    FISMA wrote: »
    I have heard great things about the 7mm Rem Mag. From what the reloading manuals are telling me, there is not a whole lot of difference between the 7mm-08 and 7mm Rem Mag.

My fundamental is the American round, the 30-06. However, I just picked up 7mm Rem Mag as I have heard great things about it: flat trajectory, ...

The 7mm-08 will be fine for any game in Ireland and might just be one of the best rounds for Ireland.

The magnum will demonstrably perform better at distances greater than 300ya. But less than that, it is more about the shooter.

Concisely: excellent choice. The only concern is availability of ammo.

We await your field test!

johnnie

As Fisma pointed out ammo would be a concern. Out of interest where did you purchase ammo and what make is rifle if you dont mind me asking? Great choice for irish deer species IMO!

• Advertisement

I e-mailed Hornady for a response to the .308 being flatter than the 7mm-08

Still awaiting a response

It can't be right lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Lovely, lovely round to shoot. Significantly lighter on the shoulder than a .308, not too loud, and superb modest performance. It doesn't have the laserbeam trajectory of a big 7mm or .300 magnum, but nor does it have the recoil, muzzle blast and heavier rifle associated with them. Lovely all round rifle for carrying everywhere. Someday I'd love an old style walnut stocked 7x57 with a Mauser action and a fixed 6x scope for those days I'm feeling really traditional, and that does all the same things the 7mm08 was designed to do.

johnnie

Did you get the ammo this side or North of the border?
    I have 150grain SST Superformance and it is an awesome .308 round. Serious knock down power.

Never fired a 7mm-08 almost bought one, just ammo availability down here was an issue at the time so I went .308 and never looked back.

They are not that common down here, I'd say less than 20 in the country at a guess.

Is the deer season in the North the same as here or what way does it work?

thanks for the inquiry. I believe you must have found an error. Going by the information from our 2011 product catalog comparing the 7-08 139gr SPF and the 308 150gr SPF loads, the 7-08 shoots slightly flatter.

7-08 200 yards: 0” 300 yards:-6.8” 400 yards:-19.7”

308 200 yards: 0” 300 yards:-6.9” 400 yards:-20.0”

Thanks!

From: Hornady Manufacturing, Inc [mailto:webmaster@hornady.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:58 PM

very little difference between 150grain Hornady .308 and 7mm-08 :eek:

As per Steve Hornady's Technical team

Not a massive incentive to go 7mm-08 only perhaps milder recoil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

You wont be dissapointed in it....:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement