Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk the Line Challenge DWMRT Fundraiser

Options
  • 13-04-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Great event happening on the night of June 25th. Similar to the AON only warmer! All funds going to the Dublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team.

Runners and walkers welcome. Check it out, those with the nightwalking bug!

https://www.eventelephant.com/walktheline

ps. I'm not involved with the organisation, just letting people know about another unique event

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dublin Wicklow MRT

Hi everyone,

We're running this event and we'd be happy to answer questions on here in the run up to the event.

The route is more or less finalised but we still have a bit of tweaking to do. It's looking like it's about 35km at the moment but that may change slightly.

It is intended to be a challenge event so will be untimed but we do intend to facilitate those who are interested in running the route.

Our website is going live this week with more info and if it's allowed I'll post a link when it does.

Please post any questions or suggestions you may have and I'll respond as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

hey there - it says starting at 09.00 on the saturday - should that read 21.00?
    cheers! looks like a great event!

Hey Fi, it starts at 21.00. We're working out the logistics at the moment in terms of buses, mass start or staged start, when the runners will start etc. When it finishes is up to you:)

Our website (including the provisional route map) is now live

I do hope it's ok to post the link for information:

http://www.walktheline.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Seems like a nice route.
    Coming off Kippure at night in the slop would be fun!
    Top of Glendoo would be fun is well.

3:30-4hrs be the quickest running time? Bit quicker depending on how dry the ground is?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

This looks great. I wanted to do AON this year but missed out so this looks like a great alternative.

Great price too considering what we pay for much shorter road races...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The moonlight run last Nov was brilliantly organised by mountain rescue. Well marked too, but it only needed light marking as it was on the Wicklow way. This would require a lot I expect. Its primarily a walkiing event after all and they don't want to be having to search for people on a mountain rescue fundraiser. Its obviously a well deserving cause.

The forum rules quite rightly discourage talking about the fundraising aspect of any event but I think it's fair to point out there is a fundraising aspect in addition to the registration fee. Full details on the website, I won't say anymore on the topic here.

We think people will enjoy the route - it's so very accessible to Dublin as well, which may surprise people not familiar with the area.

We won't be losing people - the route will be marked at junctions, etc and a lot of it is on tracks although not as large as the Wicklow Way. Walkers have the option of being guided along by someone from the team whilst runners will have to do their own thing but will benefit from the marked route, marshalling, check points, etc. We'll have plenty of people on the hill and vehicles on the roads too.

There may well be a bit of mud and bog to negotiate:). Coming up to kippure is probably the most slop, coming down off it should be ok at that time of year. Route reccies happened on Sunday with more to be done this week too - I'll post here if there's any chances as a result.

We're interested to hear what the runners would prefer (assuming a 3-5hr time for them).
    a) start with the walkers at 9 or 10, finish early in the morning at around 2am
    b) start after the walkers at around midnightish, finish 4-5am
    c) start at 2 or 3, finish up a similar time as the walkers.

If I was to run it the earlier time the better would suit to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

(a) or (b) would be my preference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If I was to do it midnight would be my preference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

(b) would make most sense in relation to the logistics of having the whole field less spread out so less time for the marshals to be out there.

The Moonlight Challenge Glen of Imal Mtn Rescue event in November was a great success in terms of participants' enjoyment and monies raised so best of luck to the DWMR team with this venture.

Love the finish location whatever time it is at ................. about 5 mins walk from my bed :)!

Few quick updates:
    • We're going for an early start for the runners (prob 9pm) - this is partly to do with feedback and partly to simplify logistics
    • We're shortening the route from the 37km described on walktheline.ie to about 30km - again feedback and logistics. Update to follow in the next week.
    • Our hillrunners have been out and about and report back that the section approaching Kippure will be the most challenging to run with plenty of uneven and soft ground:)
    • We're looking at 2 and maybe 3 water stations and many more check-in/check-out points to make sure everyone is on (the right) track. The route will be marked with 150 flags and 150 snaplights - on average one every 100m:)

Few more updates:
    • Route has been finalised and comes to 32.5km - http://www.walktheline.ie/route-map
    • Runners will be starting early - they'll probably be the first bus at 9pm - this will get you over the really rough ground during day/twilight
    • Breakfast will be provided - breakfast rolls are on the menu:D
    • The Great Outdoors have come on board as our main sponsor and will be providing prizes for various categories (e.g. most money raised, first runner, first walker, best photo, etc) as well as helping us out on the night with refreshment stations and guides.
    • A number of very generous sponsors are coming on board to support this event - more details on the website soon
    • We're really looking forward to it:)

We're holding an information night on Wed 1st June in the Great Outdoors on Chatham Street. We'll be giving a brief talk about the Challenge and answering any questions you may have. We'll have both our team vehicles parked outside if you fancy a poke around. We'll also be taking registrations on the night. We'll kick off at 19.30, it'll be less than an hour and Neary's is a great pub and only across the road....

Route profile and map are now up on www.walktheline.ie

Thanks for letting us share this event here! Any questions, please ask.

Any sign of the gpx from a garmin for the route? If I had it I could map it onto the ordnance survey geolives map and pass on.

Sorry, we haven't managed to get a full GPS trace yet. We do however have a custom EastWest map available for download now.

http://walktheline.ie/images/dwmrt_wtl_map.pdf

We're also having an info night on Wednesday evening at 19.30 in the Great Outdoors if anyone wants to have a close look at the big map.

A quick note to let you know we're almost full up. We expect to be full in the next few days. Delighted by the level of support for this event and the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 williamo

Is this event being run this year?

Yes, here it is: http://www.walktheline.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 williamo

Is this self guide or is there option of guides like AON?

There will be guides but you can also navigate yourself. Most likely the route will be marked also, will confirm this when a decision has been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Is anyone planning on running this? My navigation is useless so I'll have to go with the guided option. There is a an information night on Wednesday
    http://walktheline.ie/news/39-event-news-2012/114-wtl-second-info-night-in-great-outdoors

Weather looks good overnight during the event. No rain and 10k visibility. :D

Accuweather:

Saturday Overnight.jpg

Advertisement