Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MDF supply & cutting? Cork area?

Options
  • 13-04-2011 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of somewhere that would both supply & cut some MDF for me? I'm based in Kanturk so ideally I'd be looking at Kanturk, Mallow, Charleville or Cork city.

Want to build up some storage for the back of my 4x4 but don't have then necessary tools to ensure an accurate cut of the pieces.

Anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Top Dog wrote: »
    Hi folks.

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of somewhere that would both supply & cut some MDF for me? I'm based in Kanturk so ideally I'd be looking at Kanturk, Mallow, Charleville or Cork city.

Want to build up some storage for the back of my 4x4 but don't have then necessary tools to ensure an accurate cut of the pieces.

Anyone any suggestions?

is there a full service B and Q in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Couldn't tell you. There is a B&Q in Blackpool on the way into the city alright. Might call in there if I'm down that way tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Joe graces?

Burtons?

Where would I find those Dave?

Where would I find those Dave?

In Kanturk

Strand street

Joe would cut them to size for you.He has a work shop out back

Burtons is next to Lidl they should do it too

• Advertisement

Ah - that Burtons :o No, already asked in there and yer man behind the counter practically laughed at me for asking. Hence starting the thread on here rather than facing more of that type of unhelpfulness ;)

Will try Graces tomorrow if I have the time :)

Ah - that Burtons :o No, already asked in there and yer man behind the counter practically laughed at me for asking. Hence starting the thread on here rather than facing more of that type of unhelpfulness ;)

Will try Graces tomorrow if I have the time :)

thats bad form:mad:

Called in to Grace's this morning, and unfortunately he doesn't do supply or cutting anymore. Told me he gave it up about 5 years ago and sold all the equipment he had too :(

Next stop, B&Q later today so hopefully I'll have more success there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

B&Q will do it but they're not in Blackpool they're in Mahon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm doing the same with my new work car next week. The only tools I need to do the job are my circular saw, jigsaw, mesuring tape, clamps and a length of 1x2 to use a guide for cutting with the circular saw. I wood glue and nail the sides together.

You shouldn't really use MDF for shelving in a van, Ply is stronger, but also if MDF gets wet, it's finished.

The only downside of what I'm doing, is my load area is now 1/3 of what it used to be, and I still need to figure out how it's all going to fit in :D

• Advertisement

Called in to Grace's this morning, and unfortunately he doesn't do supply or cutting anymore. Told me he gave it up about 5 years ago and sold all the equipment he had too :(

Next stop, B&Q later today so hopefully I'll have more success there.

Jeez never knew that he stopped all that

Wyldwood wrote: »
    B&Q will do it but they're not in Blackpool they're in Mahon
    You're right :D

Figured that out when I pulled up in the carpark in front of Atlantic Homecare and had a "D'oh!" moment ;)

Fortunately B&Q opens late enough so managed to call in there - 14 free cuts per transaction! Result! :D
    I'm doing the same with my new work car next week. The only tools I need to do the job are my circular saw, jigsaw, mesuring tape, clamps and a length of 1x2 to use a guide for cutting with the circular saw. I wood glue and nail the sides together.

You shouldn't really use MDF for shelving in a van, Ply is stronger, but also if MDF gets wet, it's finished.

The only downside of what I'm doing, is my load area is now 1/3 of what it used to be, and I still need to figure out how it's all going to fit in :D
    I was planning on building up a false floor with storage tubs underneath, and using 18mm MDF for it - supported by 3 lengths. The idea I have in my head is 18mm floor, 3 lengths (1 each side and 1 in the center) to bear the weight, and then another 18mm floor on top. Have plastic storage tubs for fitting underneath and was thinking (hoping) that the 18mm would be strong enough for whatever gets thrown on top then.

Should I be looking for something else? Keep in mind that all of this is going to be on a strict-ish budget. Have the tubs now, have priced carpet at about €40, and the wood then would come in around the €40 mark too. Add in hinges, screws etc and I was looking at a total budget of about €140ish.
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Jeez never knew that he stopped all that
    'frad so. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've no specific advice for you on your own build, but best of luck with it. Great feeling when it's done.

Came across another place today advertising a cutting service. Missed the name, but it's on Half Moon Avenue/Street which on the Back Douglas Road across from the Dosco Industrial Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Eamo01

Hi There,
    Fortunately B&Q opens late enough so managed to call in there - 14 free cuts per transaction!

How does this actually work. If I go down with a printout on a2 paper, will they cut the MDF to that specification?

Thanks,
    Eamonn

Its straight cuts Eamo, so if your spec can be cut out of a big sheet then they should be able to do it I'd imagine.

Advertisement