Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking Soda ?

• 13-04-2011 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I am doing some electrolysis rust removal on some old parts. I need to get baking soda but when I go to the supermarket, I see either Bicarbonate of Soda or Baking Powder. Which one of these is Baking Soda?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sodium bicarbonate and baking soda are the same thing. Baking powder is a mixture of baking soda and some kind of acid salt such as cream of tartar which reacts with the soda when wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Alun wrote: »
    Sodium bicarbonate and baking soda are the same thing. Baking powder is a mixture of baking soda and some kind of acid salt such as cream of tartar which reacts with the soda when wet.

So now we have three names....

Sodium Bicarbonate
    Bicarbonate of Soda
    Baking Powder

Which one of these is Baking Soda ?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Alun wrote: »
    Baking Soda and Bicarbonate of Soda are the same thing, Sodium Bicarbonate or NaHCO3. Baking Powder is Baking Soda plus other ingredients (acid salts) that, when mixed with water, react with the Baking Soda to make CO2 that acts as rising agent.

that should help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

dnme wrote: »
    I am doing some electrolysis rust removal on some old parts. I need to get baking soda but when I go to the supermarket, I see either Bicarbonate of Soda or Baking Powder. Which one of these is Baking Soda?

Many thanks

Bicarbonate of soda http://www.oetker.co.uk/oetker_uk/html/default/debi-7najm9.en.html is baking soda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I use washing soda (sodium carbonate) in my electrolysis bucket for de-rusting tools etc , works well and I think it's cheaper than baking soda too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

kerash wrote: »

Is this also Sodium Bicarbonate?

So now we have three names....

Sodium Bicarbonate
    Bicarbonate of Soda
    Baking Powder

Which one of these is Baking Soda ?
    Sodium bicarbonate = bicarbonate of soda.

Is this also Sodium Bicarbonate?
    Yes.

Advertisement