Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT jobs

Options
  • 13-04-2011 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

My CV is updated and I'm looking for work in the IT sector! If anyone hears any updates of places looking for staff please keep posting here! ;)

I'm doing a masters in software development at the moment and looking for something for the summer. If a good enough longer-term job presents itself I can do my thesis part-time next year and keep working too though. Something in web development would be good, I'll be doing my thesis on a HTML5, Canvas, SVG, MySQL project...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

foto joe wrote: »
    My CV is updated and I'm looking for work in the IT sector! If anyone hears any updates of places looking for staff please keep posting here! ;)

I'm doing a masters in software development at the moment and looking for something for the summer. If a good enough longer-term job presents itself I can do my thesis part-time next year and keep working too though. Something in web development would be good, I'll be doing my thesis on a HTML5, Canvas, SVG, MySQL project...

Give HP a look, they just announced 50 new jobs. Not sure it's up your alley, there's some web dev but doubt it's HTML5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'm not restricting myself to web development either. I've some experience in C, C++, VB.NET, ASP.NET, Javascript, PHP, MySql, HTML & CSS, Android SDK... so if someone is looking for people with a grounding in any of those I'll apply!

Do you know do HP hire directly or though an agency?

I'm not restricting myself to web development either. I've some experience in C, C++, VB.NET, ASP.NET, Javascript, PHP, MySql, HTML & CSS, Android SDK... so if someone is looking for people with a grounding in any of those I'll apply!

Do you know do HP hire directly or though an agency?

Android SDK eh??...consider mobile development?? I believe there's a group doing that also and are hiring... but the jobs announced today are Cloud Computing development they are hiring for. There is an agency but the name escapes me at the moment...they also have some on their own site.

https://hp.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobsearch.ftl;jsessionid=0FFACFB8ECAAC014E9135AD1A63A55E9.JB_17489_17496?lang=en

Actually sorry..I believe javascript, C etc. is relevant...the main language they are looking for I think is Java. But just from my own perspective the mobile development thing is more interesting and is rapidly growing. But tis up to yourself! Cloud will be huge too. I'll try and get you the recruitment agency name this evening. I have a friend that went for an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP snipped form a 2008 thread so we can stay current.

Yeah Java seems to be what they're all looking for, I don't understand why we don't do it in the course if the demand is there. I must try teach myself after the exams.
    Wompa1 wrote: »
    Android SDK eh??...consider mobile development?? I believe there's a group doing that also and are hiring...

Yeah developed an Android app recently for mapping the Galway bus network with stops, timetables and tracking and mapping all live users. To be honest most of it was done in a webview with Javascript once we figured how to link up the Javascript to the Java functions in the app. I'd say I do have a good basis though, we spent a lot of hours in Eclipse so have a good grounding to build on.

• Advertisement

Did a bit of snooping online.

[email]no mails[/email] is the e-mail for CVs from the stories.

Yeah Java seems to be what they're all looking for, I don't understand why we don't do it in the course if the demand is there. I must try teach myself after the exams.

Yeah developed an Android app recently for mapping the Galway bus network with stops, timetables and tracking and mapping all live users. To be honest most of it was done in a webview with Javascript once we figured how to link up the Javascript to the Java functions in the app. I'd say I do have a good basis though, we spent a lot of hours in Eclipse so have a good grounding to build on.

They would eat that up in an interview. Go for it. I'm not a guidance counsellor or anything but just from what I read and here there's a huge concern in Ireland at the moment that the Masters and Phd Qualifications are being watered down by the number of people doing them and especially the number of people who in better times would have no interest in doing them getting their piece of paper.

It's ultimately going to hurt us when people with no passion or actual proper Aptitude (Let's admit it, courses here are a joke) getting high qualifications and making a mockery of them...best of luck in your hunt anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Try us. send an email to [email]<no mails>[/email]

I believe we are constantly looking for people with asp.net experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Send us your CV to [email]<no mails>[/email]

Our Galway office is in Oranmore and although we've just finished a round of hiring we will be looking for staff shortly again (Support staff / Web &application Development)

Thanks,

Daragh

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

Honestly, work in IT is pretty plentiful at the moment.

If you're interested in going to the UK, here's a posting that came through my inbox recently -

http://www.blackbay.com/about/careers/191-customer-support-engineer

Take a look at Avaya too, they just announced 75 new jobs for Galway.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0405/jobs-business.html

There's also Valeo in Tuam, who are expanding as fast as they can get new employees in the door.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0121/jobs-business.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭squonk

Try us in Avaya. Not sure if there are Dev jobs going right now but have a look at this link anyway...

http://jobs.brassring.com/EN/ASP/TG/cim_advsearch.asp?partnerid=261&siteid=34

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Sniipe wrote: »
    Try us. send an email to [email]<no mails>[/email]

I believe we are constantly looking for people with asp.net experience.
    Did you not tell him to e-mail you directly? Don't miss out on another hiring bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

are all these looking for developers or some erp/analysis guys?
    im just finishing my information systems degree and looking to see if there is anyone taking on grads?

liam12989 wrote: »
    are all these looking for developers or some erp/analysis guys?
    im just finishing my information systems degree and looking to see if there is anyone taking on grads?

HP I believe are hiring all levels. Fidelity are hiring graduates also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Malice wrote: »
    Did you not tell him to e-mail you directly? Don't miss out on another hiring bonus!

Good point Malice! Both of us work in Storm. Send me an email and I'll put it top of the pile. [email]<no mails>[/email]

How does 50/50 sound Malice? :)

Sniipe wrote: »
    Good point Malice! Both of us work in Storm. Send me an email and I'll put it top of the pile. [email]<no mails>[/email]

How does 50/50 sound Malice? :)
    Ah no, you can keep it all after I forgot to use you as a reference before I got hired.

Thanks guys, I've dropped you an email Sniipe. ;)

Please don't post mail addresses. PM for this info or put a link to the website.

biko wrote: »
    Please don't post mail addresses. PM for this info or put a link to the website.
    Sorry biko. Now that I think about it, I should have flagged that myself.

No probs, mails change and by linking to the main website or PMing we don't have to worry that in 2-3 years people will still use these old mails when they google and find this page.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    No probs, mails change and by linking to the main website or PMing we don't have to worry that in 2-3 years people will still use these old mails when they google and find this page.
    Plus people could link Sniipe to his work e-mail address and find out who he is in real life.
    Not that he's particularly interesting.... :-P

Malice wrote: »
    Plus people could link Sniipe to his work e-mail address and find out who he is in real life.
    [/SPOILER]

Real Life!=Good

There's a little IT joke...1 in 6,000,000 will get it...the Dennis Miller ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Real Life!=Good

There's a little IT joke...1 in 6,000,000 will get it...the Dennis Miller ratio

There's no way that only 1 in 6,000,000 will get that ffs!

It's not a joke either, it's FACT. FACT!

Applied to most of the leads above but no positive feedback on the jobs search yet. If anyone hears of any IT Jobs going around Galway let me know! ;)

Have to get a job before the end of May or I'm out of Galway! Nooo...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Lensbaby89

Hello,
    Just saw a link to this
    http://091marketinghackers.com/
    Could be good to go along on the day??
    Not in IT myself but it sounds like a fantastic idea!!

Lensbaby89 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Just saw a link to this
    http://091marketinghackers.com/
    Could be good to go along on the day??
    Not in IT myself but it sounds like a fantastic idea!!
    But that's a site for Marketing isn't it?
    We're a group of Galway based companies looking to hire people that will drive sales & marketing for our web / mobile apps.

Metrics / Analytics / Conversion Funnels / KPIs
    A/B testing
    Social Media
    SEM / Online advertising & banners
    Marketing Automation / Retargeting
    Service design (touch points)
    Affiliates/resellers
    APIs for business development
    KOL (Key Opinion Leaders)
    Proactive customer support
    As a software developer I've only got a vague idea what the above acronyms and buzzwords mean (the last time I saw KOL it meant Kings of Leon :p) and I doubt foto joe is much different.

Have ye tried SAP?
    When I had to to work experience with college, I contacted SAP. They didn't have any work advertised but stated that they're usually happy to take on work experience/graduates

Long story short: I got a job when there wasn't even one advertised.

As office jobs go, SAP rocks. Free food, company days/nights out and the whole company goes away once a year for the day. When I was there we went to Delphi. Queue a load of us drinking naggins of whiskey down the back of the bus with our manager :pac:

When I was there they offered me a full time position but I wanted to go back to college to finish my degree. When I went back a year later (to 'interview' a manager for a stupid Organisations subjects) they offered me a job there and then.

In summary: give it a shot, you've nothing to lose

I had but only through a recruitment agency and they decided I hadn't the required years experience so it never got forwarded to SAP. They didn't really have a clue to be honest... they rang me about another position in HP as a Java developer. They said I was suitable for that because I had done Javascript, same thing sure right. :p

I've applied for a position in SAP directly now (Support Engineer SAP Cloud Support) and asked them to consider my application for any other more suitable positions that may be available.

Most jobs they've currently listed in Galway are German/French/Russion support positions.

You'll be laughing if you get something in SAP. It's been a while since I worked there so i'm of no use to you i'm afraid. The cultural diversity in the place is nuts, but everyone is on the same level and everyone speaks English, with the odd German conversation being thrown about the place.

I found everyone in my dept (Business One) very supportive and I was taken in as an orphan almost :o Everyone in there is actually motivated about their work, possibly because of the working conditions.

Unlimited tea/ciggie breaks too - I was gone every 10 mins (sure I was a student) and not a word ever said so long as I was getting a cup of tea or having a smoke.
    Did I mention the free food? :pac:

On the slow days I was known to clock up several laps of the building - I used to stroll through other departments and often struck up convo's with people from totally different dept's that i'd normally not talk with.

The one big thing I hated about the place was the security of the building. When you went in the morning, you're essentially there for the whole day, except going out the back outside for a smoke. To enter/leave you MUST use your swipe card to get through the doors, and when you leave you can't get back in for 3 mins. So if going out to pick up some personal post etc. you'd have to just stand there at the reception like a doofus for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Duolog in Mervue looking for Java developers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement