Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT jobs

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

foto joe wrote: »
    I've applied for a position in SAP directly now

Ditto. Applied there on Saturday. Got a call from a recruiter there this morning that M$ are hiring graduates, starting in the next 4 weeks. I wont be finished my thesis by then but if moving to Dublin isnt an issue for ya, give em a shot.
    Not alot going in Galway these days though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Ditto. Applied there on Saturday. Got a call from a recruiter there this morning that M$ are hiring graduates, starting in the next 4 weeks. I wont be finished my thesis by then but if moving to Dublin isnt an issue for ya, give em a shot.
    Not alot going in Galway these days though.

I bet you wouldn't called them M$ if they were paying you a nice wage, and they do pay quite well.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I bet you wouldn't called them M$ if they were paying you a nice wage, and they do pay quite well.

Probably wouldn't called them :confused: M$ to their face, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

is there anywhere in galway looking for degree level graduates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

If you've done Java then I'd say so yeah... big demand for Java at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Worked for MS as an Intern. Fantastic place.

Did you get an interview with Storm? I've seen a few in, but I think they are looking for people who have experience. (Vicious circle, how does one get experience??)

I've heard good things from SAP.

Check out this list of galway employeers:
    http://www.itag.ie/Members/ITAGMembers/tabid/89/language/en-US/Default.aspx

I would send them all an email.

Sniipe wrote: »
    Did you get an interview with Storm? I've seen a few in, but I think they are looking for people who have experience. (Vicious circle, how does one get experience??)

Nope, didn't make the cut... :(

Applied for another three jobs in the last day, hopefully something'll come up or I'll have to setup myself! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

(Vicious circle, how does one get experience??
    Heh, that is exactly what I asked myself for quite a while. It's a chicken and egg situation. Can't get experience without a job and can't get a job without experience :mad:. When I was getting back into programming I realised I had to bite the bullet and do some work on my own time so I trawled through all my contacts to see if there was anyone willing to let me develop an application for them. Obviously I didn't pitch it as "I need to learn technology x. Can I write a project for you?" It was more about proposing a solution for a problem someone had. There were two goals - to build up my knowlege of the technology and to get a relevant reference on my CV.

Now, if I could somehow jump into a time machine and talk to myself back when I was doing that I'd also say to focus on open source software. Bug-fixing of a reasonably mature project on SourceForge, CodePlex or Google Code can only stand a newbie programmer in good stead for their career.

foto joe wrote: »
    Nope, didn't make the cut... :(
    Don't feel too bad, they sent me a PFO a few years ago too ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Just checking foto_joe, did you apply to Avaya as squonk and theintern said (they had .net jobs and they were taking graduates)?

• Advertisement

any place taking on vb.net graduates,...i have only done javascript and not java so im not quiet sure.

Just checking foto_joe, did you apply to Avaya as squonk and theintern said (they had .net jobs and they were taking graduates)?

I did yeah, their global jobs website was a bit of a maze if I remember correctly. If anyone has an email address that'd get me to the Galway office that'd be great. ;)

Edit: Didn't hear anything back yet on that one...

Just a couple of things that I know aren't related specifically to IT Jobs but are still worth repeating. In my experience, rather than sending off e-mails or worse, e-mails to careers@company.com, it's much more productive to send a paper copy of your CV to a specific person and follow up with that person after a few days by phone to make sure they got it. Then bug them politely with calls until you either get somewhere or you get a PFO.

I found this book to be quite helpful. It's American so some parts of it won't really be applicable but I believe those that are contain some very valuable information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

liam12989 wrote: »
    any place taking on vb.net graduates,...i have only done javascript and not java so im not quiet sure.

get onto solas consulting got an email today about a .NET position

brmccfc wrote: »
    get onto solas consulting got an email today about a .NET position
    They are very much focused on Dublin though rather than Galway. The only Galway leads they have are going to be for the various software companies that have already been listed so you might as well cut out the middle man and apply directly yourself.
    I have used them in the past and I would recommend them though. I realise it's in their own interests to do it but I enjoyed being able to basically call them up and say "Find me a job." and have them do the grunt work for me.

are ye talking about eolas or solas?
    and how do them guys make money.do they charge you or the company?

liam12989 wrote: »
    are ye talking about eolas or solas?
    Did you do an Internet search for solas consulting? That should answer your question.
    liam12989 wrote:
    how do them guys make money.do they charge you or the company?
    It depends but a simple example is that they will negotiate the salary on your behalf so you might be offered €35,000 per year but the recruitment firm might be getting €40,000 from the company that you're working for.

iv a degree in IS and just looking to see does anyone know of any openings around galway

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

We’ve always looked for passionate people to work with us as we revolutionise the industry.

Today, we’re very conscious of the unemployment crisis in the country. So, when we decided to fill two new positions, we thought “why not turn to our household customers?” The positions are:

· Software Developer (Galway) http://www.citybin.com/software-developer-161111.pdf

· Sales Executive (Dublin) http://www.citybin.com/inside-sales-161111.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AOLL

We are a multimedia company based in Maynooth Co. Kildare and <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is the Galway forum and not a national forum to post work adverts.

Use this forum instead, it includes all provinces
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement