Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE and obstetrician apologise to family of garda who died after emergency C-section

Options
  • 13-04-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

The HSE and a Consultant Obstetrician have expressed sincere regret to the family of a Garda Sergeant who died following an emergency caesarean section.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hse-and-obstetrician-apologise-to-family-of-garda-who-died-after-emergency-c-section-501129.html#ixzz1JQGOtOdF

I don't see what her profession has to do with anything but anyway.....

There but for the grace of God go I :(
    I was 34 when my daughter was born before Christmas
    I'm married to a cop
    And I could have bled out if my hubby hadn't insisted that the nurses get a Dr to look at me

Way too many similarities for me to not read this and feel my eyes water!

Why in this day & age does this still happen?? :(

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Just going to quote the whole story for you -

13/04/2011 - 16:09:05
    The HSE and a Consultant Obstetrician have expressed sincere regret to the family of a Garda Sergeant who died following an emergency caesarean section.

The High court has approved an undisclosed settlement to the husband of 34-year-old Tanya McCabe, Sergeant Aidan McCabe, from Termonfeckin.

Mr McCabe took an action for damages following Tania's death on March 9, 2007 at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.

Tania McCabe died hours after an emergency caesarean section which was carried out while she was six months pregnant with twins. Only one of the baby boys survived.

After the birth, the 34-year-old continued to bleed and was found unrousable and slumped in her bed. She was brought in for emergency surgery but did not survive.

The court heard there was a failure to diagnose septic shock.

Three days before her death, Tania McCabe had presented at the hospital soaked and distraught.

Her waters had broken but she was discharged by her consultant, again due to a misdiagnosis.

Lawyers for the HSE and Dr Shane Higgins today expressed sincere regret.

The 34-year-old's husband Sergeant Aidan McCabe settled an action for damages – the total figure is undisclosed but €200,000 is to be set aside for his two children.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hse-and-obstetrician-apologise-to-family-of-garda-who-died-after-emergency-c-section-501129.html#ixzz1JQKfHp1A

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Moonbeam wrote: »

What is it with the medical profession, why is it that they (almost) always express "regret" but never seem able to unreservedly apologise for anything. "Regret" seems such a pathetic and inadequate word in these circumstances.

My heart goes out to Tania McCabe's husband, children and her extended family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Another Obstetrics case in Our Lady of Lourdes.
    Honestly I'd not bring a dog there to have pups at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

The court heard there was a failure to diagnose septic shock.

Three days before her death, Tania McCabe had presented at the hospital soaked and distraught.

Her waters had broken but she was discharged by her consultant, again due to a misdiagnosis.

I'm sorry, I've only had one child so my experience is limited but how could he possibly misdiagnose broken waters??

And what the hell is going on in this hospital?

Advertisement