Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a Smartphone

Options
  • 13-04-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a new smartphone

I currently have a Nokia N900 and on the 02 network as pay as you go. As Nokia are moving to Windows phones not interested in getting a new nokia. So its a choice between Windows 7 v Android v Iphone. I am not a great fan of Apple products. I will be looking at using it for phone, texting, photos, radio(i phone dont have), Internet, Email, Wifi enabled, social networking, good memory to add music, bluetooth. These are the main options I would like. Anyone recommend me a new phone and their views on them. Not to keen on iphone as it does not give me most of the options I require. Aware that you can get a radio but you need to be online and their photo mp is not that good. Looking at the HTC Desire HD but this is with vodafone so best place to buy online?

Any other recommendations post below

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Are you looking to buy it sim free?

There will be new models of smart phones such as the Galaxy S II (which will be available from May/June) and I know of HTC Sensation that is due also. You may be best waiting for a month or two more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

You could look at Optimus 7 or HD7...Both cover your needs.

Also facebook integration in the phone is very useful and got plenty of memory for music and apps

Would have said Omnia 7 but biggest downfal there is the 8GB of memory.

One thing over both. Optimus 7 has Internal storage, where HD7 has a built in microSD card so generally the battery life on Optimus 7 would be longer and performance might be slightly higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Smartphone Republic

Depends on what your budget is really. Pretty decent mid-range smart phones would be Sony X8, Samsung Ace and Europa. After that you'll be hitting the likes of the HTCs. My brother got a sim free HTC Incredable S on Ebay and loves it. I like the look of it too and I'm using the Desire HD(savage phone).

You know Apple are going to release the iPhone 5 in June so mabey hold on till then?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I don't think the iPhone would give you most of what you want. ALthough the camera is 'only' 5 megapixel, it is a fantastic camera, only the N8 is better @12 megapixel. The 8MP Desire HD camera is not as good as the iPhone.

You say you like Nokia and are considering WP7, so why not wait until the W7/W8 come out later in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I dont know what it is about the iPhone just dont like it even if new version coming out. The HTC Desire is looking good but its on the vodafone network and I am on O2. Ok I could wait until the end of the year when the Nokia Windows phones come out but thats when it comes out. My Budget is whatever if its good then I may buy it only option is that its sim free and HTC desire hd has that option bit more expensive

Still looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I dont know what it is about the iPhone just dont like it even if new version coming out. The HTC Desire is looking good but its on the vodafone network and I am on O2. Ok I could wait until the end of the year when the Nokia Windows phones come out but thats when it comes out. My Budget is whatever if its good then I may buy it only option is that its sim free and HTC desire hd has that option bit more expensive

Still looking

While the current HTC Desire line of phones are pretty kick ass (own the original Desire myself) you would be mental buying one now when the newer dual core phones from HTC, Samsung and LG are just about to hit the market.

Venom wrote: »
    While the current HTC Desire line of phones are pretty kick ass (own the original Desire myself) you would be mental buying one now when the newer dual core phones from HTC, Samsung and LG are just about to hit the market.

Are we talking this year ? It normally takes ages for them to get to Ireland or is it wait till the come out as the HTC HD price will reduce?

Are we talking this year ? It normally takes ages for them to get to Ireland or is it wait till the come out as the HTC HD price will reduce?

I would be very surprised if the first generation of dual core Androids aint here by June. Some of the online stores are shipping from May 3rd.

Venom wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if the first generation of dual core Androids aint here by June. Some of the online stores are shipping from May 3rd.

Which online shops? Ok noobie what will be the difference in between the Desire HD and the newer dual core? Had a look today at the Desire HD and its pretty cool. In no rush to buy one yet can wait a month + just looking to see what any new desire phone could do. Thanks

Which online shops? Ok noobie what will be the difference in between the Desire HD and the newer dual core? Had a look today at the Desire HD and its pretty cool. In no rush to buy one yet can wait a month + just looking to see what any new desire phone could do. Thanks

HTC Sensation

http://www.t3.com/news/htc-sensation-officially-unveiled-with-may-release?=55319

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Oh just something on the 'photo MP' of the iPhone. It's probably one of the best smartphone camera's out there at the moment, due to the camera sensor. That's what it's all about in camera's. :D

Yeah but like what others have said, you're best off waiting until early summer when the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S II, the LG Optimus 2X, the HTC Sensation and EVO 3D (it's going to France, definitely, not too sure about Ireland though). You could look at the new Xperia Arc too, looks like a speedy little phone, with a great camera too. ;) It's only a single core 1Ghz processor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Oh just something on the 'photo MP' of the iPhone. It's probably one of the best smartphone camera's out there at the moment, due to the camera sensor. That's what it's all about in camera's. :D

Yeah but like what others have said, you're best off waiting until early summer when the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S II, the LG Optimus 2X, the HTC Sensation and EVO 3D (it's going to France, definitely, not too sure about Ireland though). You could look at the new Xperia Arc too, looks like a speedy little phone, with a great camera too. It's only a single core 1Ghz processor though.
    you are right about the sensor,however you are wrong.
    the best camera phone out thier is the n8 atm...ok a lot of people do
    not like nokia os.it is still the best camera phone on the market at the mo.
    iphone does not come anyway near it,tbh..just look at the online photos
    an you will find out for your self,just have a goo on youtube;)
    edit: i know the op does not want another nokia.just sayin the n8 is the best camera phone you can get
    atm.sony arc imo is 2nd best,it really looks like all you need/want op

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

deco nate wrote: »
    you are right about the sensor,however you are wrong.
    the best camera phone out thier is the n8 atm...ok a lot of people do
    not like nokia os.it is still the best camera phone on the market at the mo.
    iphone does not come anyway near it,tbh..just look at the online photos
    an you will find out for your self,just have a goo on youtube;)
    edit: i know the op does not want another nokia.just sayin the n8 is the best camera phone you can get
    atm.sony arc imo is 2nd best,it really looks like all you need/want op

Sorry but you didn't read my post correctly. I said "it's one of the best" not "the best". I'm quite aware that the N8 has the best camera out there with the Carl Zeiss sensor or whatever and the Arc just behind with it's CMOS that Sony use in there cameras. Infact Apple are ditching OmniVision for Sony for there next sensor for the new iPhone, apparently. :)

Like the look of the Desire HD but the sensation looks better. See vodafone Uk are advertising it. Only place I can see online taken pre orders is expansys. Will hold of for a while until this comes out sim free and then look at the price

Advertisement