Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weights classes in Dublin?

Options
  • 13-04-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all, I've been a reader here for the past month or so, and love the forum. Was hoping for a bit of advice from ye all.

I'm a 27 yo female, ht 5'0, wt 58kg, and have never been athletic. EVER. I started running 4 times a week a month ago, have seen a good improvement and ran 5k yesterday for the first time :D. My diet isn't too bad and I'm hoping to drop a few pounds with the cardio workouts.

I'm not a gym member, but am keen to start weights training, and saw the women&weights thread which was very motivational. I have dumb-bells (up to 12kg each) but am not very disciplined and thought maybe a structured class might spur me on. I saw Bodypump but they seem to use light weights, also saw kettleball classes.

Any thoughts on classes, or even a recommendation of a once off personal trainer who'll guide me through lifting at home? Obviously a PT who's not afraid that I'll bulk up with weight training (As if! :D)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭aoife161

I attend a kettlebells class twice weekly and have done so for about 10 months now. Recently I upped it to three times a week and also a bodypump class (just started that).
    I would highly recommend kettlebells - I love it. I find that I work out my hardest when in a group environment so its a really good way for me to exercise. The class I attend never has more than 12 people anyway so its as close to a personal trainer as I'm ever going to get!

The bodypump class, I just started last weekend and OMG i woke up the next day and could barely move! And this is me who can easily swing a 24kg kettlebell but the bodypump is entirely different. Its high reps, but lower weights. In fact, you never lift heavier than 20kg's but you sure can feel it considering its non stop for about 4 mins.

As with any exercise regime though, i'd say if its for weightloss you have to look at your diet. I only recently set about overhauling this for myself and in 6 weeks along with the kettlebells and 1 bodypump class I've shifted a stone.

Anyway if you like working out with a group of people I would say you could give either the kettlebells or the bodypump a go. I love that environment cuz it simply means i can't give up when I want to - i definitely push myself more - which is what I want from my 1 hour workout. If I was in a gym, i'd have probably given up much quicker than in the class.

I've done spinning before - and have to say i got so bored of it. With the kettlebells and bodypump, you switch it up so much during the class it keeps me interested and I'm not just waiting for the class to finish (as i was with spinning).

Yeah I know what you mean about the bulking, all my girl friends are like...but don't you worry about getting muscly? No! Its never even been an issue with me - so unless someone starts slipping steroids into my porridge in the morning its just not going to happen. :-)

Anyway i hope this is helpful to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

+1 on the kettlebell classes! They're fantastic! (though I'm only a beginner and have been doing beginner classes for about 3 weeks). They also help with balance - my core is so much tighter after starting with them - oh and your mind (some of those moves are tricky enough to master!) :p

I also think Bodypump is good, the music is great and I enjoy it - but I think long term you'd probably get more out of kettlebell classes as it really is a full body workout. If you could do both, you'd be doing well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I'd recommend Dee Lynch http://www.deelynch.com

She's a great lifter and really nice. Has accomplished a lot herself in a few years and really knows her stuff. I'm sure a lot of peeps on here who know her would say the same!

Advertisement