Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Restrictions and Road Closures this weekend

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Did not even know that this was taking place in Limerick this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Won't be leaving the house then this sunday, last year i was heading to kerry and it took me almost an hour to get from shelbourne road to the cement factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

What time is the event starting, where is it all happening?

I googled the event and this is what I found.

Run Route

Cycling Route

Duathlon Site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Well thats this weeks shopping being done on friday/monday then...
    I haven't heard anything about this other then here, is it being well advertised?

phill106 wrote: »
    Well thats this weeks shopping being done on friday/monday then...
    I haven't heard anything about this other then here, is it being well advertised?

I've seen a few signs out and about and I think a mention on the Limerick Post but haven't seen a start time for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

The race starts at 9am. Have a look at the briefing in the link it will give you more info http://www.europeanduathlonchampionships.com/drupal/node/53ails :

BravoMike wrote: »
    The race starts at 9am. Have a look at the briefing in the link it will give you more dethttp://www.europeanduathlonchampionships.com/drupal/node/53ails :

Wow, that took some digging :D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Looking forward to having a look at this, great that events like this are being held in the city. Hopefully the weather is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

phog wrote: »
    Wow, that took some digging :D

I get bored every now and then :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

so much for city of sport - is being kept very quiet, big posters everywhere for the run next weekend but nothing about this anywhere. There isn't much on the road closures either, Limerick Post has a small notice tucked away in middle of the paper, AA Roadwatch doesn't even mention it considering its large scale traffic disruption with closure of the 2 main bridges and approach roads. I've been mentioning it for past few weeks to various people and they knew nothing about it, either in terms of coming out to watch and support it or in terms of planning alternative traffic routes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Looking forward to having a look at this, great that events like this are being held in the city. Hopefully the weather is good.

Going to be class alright, there's also events on in the Market Quarter in the evenings afaik.

so much for city of sport - is being kept very quiet, big posters everywhere for the run next weekend but nothing about this anywhere. There isn't much on the road closures either, Limerick Post has a small notice tucked away in middle of the paper, AA Roadwatch doesn't even mention it considering its large scale traffic disruption with closure of the 2 main bridges and approach roads. I've been mentioning it for past few weeks to various people and they knew nothing about it, either in terms of coming out to watch and support it or in terms of planning alternative traffic routes.

On the Tipp Rd/Childers Rd roundabout one of the signs is for this race and one is for the race next week. Could it be that some of the signs for this race are being confused with the Great Limerick Run?

no signs out the Ennis Road/Condel Road/Shannon Bridge though - the roads mainly affected by the closures. nothing about road closures on LCC site, AA, local radio, local papers.

I'm delighted its on here and hope it all goes off well, but seeing as they have had over 12 months notice you'd think a bit of better advertising would be good.

no signs out the Ennis Road/Condel Road/Shannon Bridge though - the roads mainly affected by the closures. nothing about road closures on LCC site, AA, local radio, local papers.

I'm delighted its on here and hope it all goes off well, but seeing as they have had over 12 months notice you'd think a bit of better advertising would be good.

I think you've got a fair point, but what do you expect when the Leader is more bothered about showing birthday pictures and death notices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Was coming in the N18 today, and the matrix signs have a notice on them, saying to expect delays in the city centre, between 15 and 17 April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Brilliant effort by limerick City council to both publicise this event and inform the public of road closures etc.
    Large groups of european cyclists out on the roads today doing some training and not a single roadside notice to warn motorists to keep a eye out for them....most of these athletes race and train in countries where people drive on the right so a few warnings to give them a chance might have been helpful.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Brilliant effort by limerick City council to both publicise this event and inform the public of road closures etc.
    Large groups of european cyclists out on the roads today doing some training and not a single roadside notice to warn motorists to keep a eye out for them....most of these athletes race and train in countries where people drive on the right so a few warnings to give them a chance might have been helpful.

What roads were they cycling on? Most of the main roads around Limerick are run by the NRA or Limerick county council. Throw stones all you like but at least aim at the right people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

They were cycling mainly on the roads which will be used for the race. These are all within the city boundaries.
    http://www.europeanduathlonchampionships.com/drupal/sites/default/files/EDC_Resident_notification_notices.pdf

As Limerick City council (not the County Council nor the NRA) are the body enforcing the road closure order and their Traffic Management Section are responsible for......well, Traffic within the city, then I think my aim is quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I think closing two if the bridges across the river is a disgrace, surely they could have routed this somewhere else that wouldn't cause so much chaos. Is there a reason behind the particular route they chose? I know you'll never keep everyone happy but seems like madness to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Drico

Well, spare a thought for people living in the local area (The Strand, O'Callaghan Strand, Clancy Strand). Last night at 2.15 AM, we were greeted by huge crashes of unexpected noise as the local organisers started to unload metal crowd control barriers - in the loudest, most inconsiderate manner possible. Now, I realise that the organisers have to set up the course at the most convenient time, but what happened last night was contemptuous of local residents. Barriers were not unloaded in an orderly manner: they were thrown off the trucks and tossed onto the road with huge metal crashes reverberating around the area for a full hour. It was as if workers were competing for who could make the most noise and wake most people. I'd be staggered if anybody in the area got a night's sleep - and I doubt any competitors staying in the hotel got a wink. Add to that the shouting at the top of the voices approach from the workers themselves, and the total contempt for residents at the dead of night was complete.

I won't mention the booming music that hammered through the locale all day Saturday. You'd imagine the event couldn't run successfully without some anonymous chick warbling over a huge generic thud to accompany the athletic endeavour.

I'm sure this event is great for Limerick and I'm glad the competitors got a lovely day's weather to compete. But the local residents have been treated shabbily this weekend and a little consideration wouldn't go amiss next time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

BravoMike wrote: »
    For anyone planning on going near Limerick City over the weekend there is a duathlon taking place on Saturday and Sunday. There are going to be a few traffic restrictions.
    The link will give you details of when and where the restrictions are : http://www.europeanduathlonchampionships.com/drupal/sites/default/files/EDC_Resident_notification_notices.pdf

Thanks for the info.
    Found it very straight forward to get in and out of the city today.
    Would have been caught on the hop otherwise...:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Had to take the tunnel to get from Jetland area to the crescent twice (once there and the other back) today as two bridges were closed and the other one was jammers! What a joke! Surely for a European competition we could have BEEN more European about it and managed it better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Was an absolute distaster closing 2 f*ckimg bridges , I would love to know how much money this was worth to Limerick and much money was spent on all the guards hanging around chatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Once again another mess up by limerick city council!!

First of all wouldnt u think they would have it on the front of the limerick post beacuse it was a major disruption having two of the main bridges closed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

To go to Cressent you had a straight run if you turned at Ivans,go over by St Johns Castle .No different from any other days disturbance with roadworks and work time traffic delays...Personally I think you are being a bit harsh....it was plainly displayed on the matrix signs on the freeway from Clare comming in to limerick...giving plenty of time to go around the roundabout and return back to clare,if you weren't prepared to wait for delays,which in fairness were not as bad as they looked...I have actually waited longer to get over the Sarsfield bridge on occassion.Again I think you are being very harsh.And for the sake of €3.60 you had a smooth run,why gripe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I was coming in from the Ballyneety side and we saw no notification of any road closures so we tried Shannon bridge then went to go over Sarsfield bridge and by that stage we were too late for our appointment so we went home. I'm really pissed off tbh. The was no notification coming down Mallow street of any bridge closure - ridiculous.:mad:

littlemis wrote: »
    To go to Cressent you had a straight run if you turned at Ivans,go over by St Johns Castle .No different from any other days disturbance with roadworks and work time traffic delays...Personally I think you are being a bit harsh....it was plainly displayed on the matrix signs on the freeway from Clare comming in to limerick...giving plenty of time to go around the roundabout and return back to clare,if you weren't prepared to wait for delays,which in fairness were not as bad as they looked...I have actually waited longer to get over the Sarsfield bridge on occassion.Again I think you are being very harsh.And for the sake of €3.60 you had a smooth run,why gripe?

Because it's how people here define their lives?

People whinge that there's nothing on in Limerick and then when something's on they whinge about how it inconveniences them.

Just get out and enjoy the good weather and damn the miserablists, imo.

I was watching some of the event today and it was fantastic down by the river, competitors and visitors just wandering round enjoying the city and river. BUT (isn't there always) I was so disappointed it wasn't advertised more. the traffic diversion signs just said that, no reason why traffic diverted, no mention that the bridges were actually closed, "expect traffic delays" actually means bogall. The organisers, Irish Sports Council, LCC, the cycling clubs, City of Sport, etc all lost out on a major PR exercise to get more people out and supporting the event, to showcase cycling in a big way. The traffic didn't bother me in any way mainly cos I knew about it so I got out the bike and cycled for the day. But if I hadn't known about it and had appointments to go to, it'd have been a different story. People didn't have proper prior notice to make time allowances. Our local community games events has more signs and notifications in place that this had. Still, I enjoyed seeing the event, the speed of the cyclists, the atmosphere, the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Still, I enjoyed seeing the event, the speed of the cyclists, the atmosphere, the weather.

You have the right attitude thesimpsons:D:D:D
    Everyone who can should get out and enjoy the weather and these local events.
    It will probably piss rain for our complete "summer":rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

I think the event was brilliant the road signage useless and in most areas non existant.

To have only on bridge open was a joke.

How hard would it have been to have one lane into town on one bridge and out on the other??

Advertisement