Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line not recognising tones.

Options
  • 13-04-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,165 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I wonder if anyone has come across this problem before, basically we cannot make outward calls from our land line as the line is not recognising the tones we use. Say for example I wanted to call a mobile number 087 xxxxxxx I dial the number before being told that the number is not in service, the dial tone is supposed to stop after you press the first button but this doesn't happen when you press 0, you hear the tone for a split second after the button is pressed before the silence. The line doesn't seem to register the 1 button at all,If say I wanted to use 142 to override the ID hide you press 1 and the dial tone just keeps going not registering the 1 being pressed at all. This is a potentially serious problem as on a mock attempt at dialling 112 emergency services, the line didn't register any buttons presses, I tried a couple off handsets on the line with the same result.
    Anyone got any ideas as to what's going on?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Make sure the phones are not pulse.

I haven't ever came across this issue, give eircom a call on 1901 and say 'fault'.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

To be honest, it's extremely unlikely that what you are describing is a network fault.

Try plugging in a different phone and seeing if you have any luck. It sounds like you have a faulty phone.

If that doesn't work ring eircom / your phone company.

Check that your phone account is paid-up and active too. If eircom block your outgoing service, you would get an engaged tone / invalid number announcement or tone after dialing a couple of digits.

Before ringing eircom try the following too:

1) Unplug absolutely everything from your phone line, including phones, faxes, DSL modems, DSL filters/splitters.
    2) Plug a simple phone, that you are fairly sure works, into the main eircom socket and test the line. Dial 199000 and it should read your number back.
    3) If you have a modern eircom socket (the white ones with an eircom logo) remove the two screws on the front and take the front plate off. Connect your phone to the test socket behind the plate and check line.

If all that fails, then you should call 1901 on your mobile and log a fault.
    If you're not with eircom, call whoever you are wtih instead.

Advertisement