Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a reasonable price for a flight?

Options
  • 13-04-2011 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I'm planning on flying Cork to Cairns on June 30th.
    Rang dozens of places getting quotes. My head is fried.
    Cheapest I was quoted was €1290. Does that sound about right? or should I preserve with more phone calls?
    I'v never been to Oz so don't know the first thing about pricing flights to there.

Many thanks folks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

It's not a bad price. You might do better by not trying to get Cork-Cairns all on the one ticket. You will probably fly to London anyway, and London-Oz prices tend to be better. You could get your 10 euro Ryanair cheapie over to London yourself. (Allow plenty time of course, because if there's any delay, they may not feel any sense of duty to book you on another long-haul since it was DIY). Berlin is another connection option I've used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

Didn't think of that option..

Stupid question: where does one go booking flights from London to Cairns-travel agent again or DIY? I looked up Cathay Pacific (the company the above quote is with) website and they're quoting 2k+??!!! Also, I won't be flying home from Cairns..It will be Sydney. Can't seem to input that info in the website either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

Try Trailfinders here first, they'll find you the best route and at least you'll be covered for delays etc.

Rang them, was quoted €1,460

You think it's better to fly Cork-Cairns then London-Cairns as you'll be covered more?!
    I'll also be flying back around mid-Dec and afraid of the snowy/icy weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ian Mac

€885 one way is the cheapest I found , long ol flight though , Cork-Heathrow-Tokyo-Cairns 37h!

Skyscanner is where I checked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ian Mac

E.E.T wrote: »
    Rang them, was quoted €1,460

You think it's better to fly Cork-Cairns then London-Cairns as you'll be covered more?!
    I'll also be flying back around mid-Dec and afraid of the snowy/icy weather.

Just saw this , give us an idea of dates.

€1381 , 30th June - 20 December.

dohop.com and skyscanner.net , both decent sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

http://www.flightcentre.co.uk/ are good for Oz in general. They do budget explorer tickets, where you list a few cities that you want to see. Could be an option. You need to email or ring them to get a lot of their prices though. Go for http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/
    to get your DIY options. Though there are plenty comparison sites.
    If your a student or the right age to avail of USIT and those other student travel agencies, they can have some good deals too.

If you go DIY, it may only be worth it in my opinion if there is plenty time between flights or if you are saving a good few hundred. See what your travel insurance covers in relation to delays and missed connecting flights. I'm really not well up on the rules. You may either fly to London in the morning for an evening flight, or fly the night before and book a cheap hotel.

I'm not sure what you mean about being worried about flying back in snow and ice. I'm guessing you mean if you did DIY, you could miss your connection to Cork. That's true, but really it's a lot less serious than missing the big flight. You could just book on another one easily enough. Take your chances there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

€1090 return
    cork - london
    London - Sydney
    Sydney - Auckland
    Christchruch - Sydney
    Sydney - London
    London - Cork

Trailfinders in Jan!

Suppose booking it good few months in advance helps as opposed to my 2.5months!
    This is turning out to be very painful..feel as if I'll never actually getting anything booked! :eek::D

Really appreciate all the replies, ye're awfully good!

Emailed two places there that I came across from cheapflights.co.uk, will see if they get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gallagbr

Qantas have had a seat sale recently. Not sure if its still on. managed to book one way from Dublin to Brisbane via London and hong kong for 570e for 14 June online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

One Way:
    I found EUR 819 with Aer Lingus and Qantas. It's 55 hours though. You'd have to stay in London for a day. Or EUR 889 for 45 hours with 15 hours in Sydney.

Return:
    I think if you are planning on bflying back from Sydney then your best bet is to book your return flight to there and then a one-way to Cairns. Or possibly a return to Cairns and a one-way to Cairns to pick up your return leg.

Cheapest I found is EUR 1088 returning on December 15th with Aer Lingus and Malaysia. That's to Sydney return.
    Then it's EUR 141 to Cairns with Virgin Blue one way.

These fares are from kayak.com

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm planning on flying Cork to Cairns on June 30th.
    Rang dozens of places getting quotes. My head is fried.
    Check http://www.skyscanner.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

the_syco wrote: »

After getting a few quotes, I was about to book flights with STA travel SYD - DUBLIN return with Etihad and they quoted me $2199 for me (under 26 fare) and $2499 for my bf who's over 26. (Both cheaper than booking directly through Etihad website.

Just looked up flights on that site and Expedia are offering the exact same flights and times for $1983 for both of us!!! Can't believe it!!

Nice one :)

Skyscanner found the same fare I booked yesterday through Kayak.com. I'd have more faith in Kayak although I do always try multiple sites.

Got my flight €40 cheaper today.
    => €1,250.

Think I'll just go with it at this stage. Nobody can seem to beat that so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Got my flight €40 cheaper today.
    => €1,250.

Think I'll just go with it at this stage. Nobody can seem to beat that so far.

Is that with skyscanner?

Nope, a travel agent in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

Have you checked out Usit and Sayit Travel ?

Best USIT can do is €1,290.
    SAYIT actually have to get back to me so that I can ask them can they do better, so fingers x'd!

Which airline?

• Advertisement

Cathay Pacific:
    cork-london-hong kong-cairns

can also get Quantas for same price.
    cork-london-singapore or bangkok-sydney-cairns.

There's an extra stop with the Quantas one in Sydney.
    Which should I go for considering they are the same price?

Cathay I reckon. I wouldn't fly Qantas long-haul unless my life was in imminent danger, even then it would be a toss up.

Advertisement