Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Travel / Work in Spain?

Options
  • 13-04-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Apologises if this is the wrong forum. Looking for advice in working abroad in particular Spain / Ibiza for the summer months. I'm an Irish citizen so I presume I don't need a Visa / Work Permit. Work will be occasional promotional stuff to tie things over.

Is there anything I need to be aware of? Tax implications? Limit on working hours / length of stay?

Anything in general about work in Ibiza?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from Indy Travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

ironclaw wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Apologises if this is the wrong forum. Looking for advice in working abroad in particular Spain / Ibiza for the summer months. I'm an Irish citizen so I presume I don't need a Visa / Work Permit. Work will be occasional promotional stuff to tie things over.

Is there anything I need to be aware of? Tax implications? Limit on working hours / length of stay?

Anything in general about work in Ibiza?

Many Thanks.

There aren't too many, but it might be advisable to get yourself an NIE number as soon as you get there. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056238621

An NIE number, is similar to a PPS number and it is required to sign any employment contracts or to pay tax etc.

Spanish tax rates are OK, but if you are declaring yourself self-employed you have to pay a fixed fee of about €250/month regardless of your income as a welfare contribution, so be careful!

In general, for causal work, the rules are not enforced all that heavily and a lot of employers in Spain seem to slip people cash in hand. However, be aware that it is illegal and that Spain is currently in a very similar situation to Ireland with significantly higher unemployment (22%) and the state is trying to claw in as much revenue as possible, so expect a lot of tightening up and crack downs on the black-economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks Solair.

Who is the onus on in Spain? The worker or employer to declare earnings? Is a NIE essential for working? Or could an employer declare you as a seasonal worker and tax you before payment?

Advertisement