Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

I dont mind some going out status as long as it's not the only subject matter a person posts about or they're at it every weekend. But status with the words "session", "booze", "woop" just automatically piss me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what do people expect others to post?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭edgesgirl

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what do people expect others to post?
    "Enjoy it! Hope ya have a great night"
    " Wish I was there"
    "Take loads of fab pictures for me"
    Same old muck that no 1 ever means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I dont mind some going out status as long as it's not the only subject matter a person posts about or they're at it every weekend. But status with the words "session", "booze", "woop" just automatically piss me off.

Like who uses the word "woop" in everyday life? It's not a word. Yet on facebook it seems to be the word to use as a signal of excitement for a night out in the next day or two. Usually used by females rather than males and usually by those of a less intelligent disposition. I'll put it this way, the women who use woop amongst my facebook friends are generally single mothers working menial jobs. None of my lawyer, doctor or engineer female friends use the word "woop".

Anyways, the sum total of facebook, based on my experience, is a deep sense of loathing for 99% of my acquantainces. I am in the process of a massive cull. Stands to reason that they arent my actual real life friends so why would their daily crap be interesting to me via facebook?

I have used facebook now for about 2 years. I use it intermittently enough and it is useful to keep in touch with my mates in Oz, US and Asia. But does anyone else get depressed when they think of their social circle (whether their inner or outer social circle) in the respect that you know more about their mundane lives than is healthy, hence the mild frustration felt when you meet them in real life such as during the xmas season etc? ie there is no novelty felt in meeting these people as you know their "craic" through the news feed on facebook.
    Hard to put into words but i feel that facebook printing the friend count on every profile page means that a huge effect has taken place on a user's outer social circle. We live in a world where image is important. When there is a friend count on each page, people will not add only their friends. I have a friend who requested a girl i had recently become friends with, just to keep his friend count rising - he had never met my friend in his life! It is this shallow stuff that makes me slowly die inside. We now know way too much about each other and it isnt necessarily a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Like who uses the word "woop" in everyday life? It's not a word. Yet on facebook it seems to be the word to use as a signal of excitement for a night out in the next day or two. Usually used by females rather than males and usually by those of a less intelligent disposition. I'll put it this way, the women who use woop amongst my facebook friends are generally single mothers working menial jobs. None of my lawyer, doctor or engineer female friends use the word "woop".

Anyways, the sum total of facebook, based on my experience, is a deep sense of loathing for 99% of my acquantainces. I am in the process of a massive cull. Stands to reason that they arent my actual real life friends so why would their daily crap be interesting to me via facebook?

I have used facebook now for about 2 years. I use it intermittently enough and it is useful to keep in touch with my mates in Oz, US and Asia. But does anyone else get depressed when they think of their social circle (whether their inner or outer social circle) in the respect that you know more about their mundane lives than is healthy, hence the mild frustration felt when you meet them in real life such as during the xmas season etc? ie there is no novelty felt in meeting these people as you know their "craic" through the news feed on facebook.
    Hard to put into words but i feel that facebook printing the friend count on every profile page means that a huge effect has taken place on a user's outer social circle. We live in a world where image is important. When there is a friend count on each page, people will not add only their friends. I have a friend who requested a girl i had recently become friends with, just to keep his friend count rising - he had never met my friend in his life! It is this shallow stuff that makes me slowly die inside. We now know way too much about each other and it isnt necessarily a good thing.

This I believe all to be very true. In fact I'm using boards now a whole lot more because I can't really stand facebook anymore. Although I have one I barely use it, I don't see why people feel the need to post their life on the internet through stupid status updates most people really don't care too much about or dozens of albums of photos. The friend thing also, drives me nuts! Most people have about 10x the number of "friends" on their page as they are actually friends with.

It's depressing as you said that this is the social world we live in and nothing will ever be done to change the opinion of 100's of millions of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I would imagine I've been blocked by a few people on my list cos I'm always putting up F1 related statii.

However, I know a girl who renamed herself XXXGirly Mcgirlysonxxxx....christ almighty. Obviously her real name goes between the XXXs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Cian A wrote: »
    The friend thing also, drives me nuts! Most people have about 10x the number of "friends" on their page as they are actually friends with.
    Thats really the only thing that annoys me a little about Facebook, looking at other peoples profiles and seeing 600 or 700 friends, you cant possibly talk to that many people. I only have 64 on mine and bar one or two that hardly use it, I talk to nearly all of them on a somewhat regular basis. The People you may know thing nearly always has someone who I know, but someone I havent talked to in years and have no intention of talking to so I dont add them. If they add me I'll accept but I'm bothered adding every single person I've ever met.

Keep it to people that you actually talk to and I reckon a lot less people would be complaining. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Turning a thread into a stealth anti-poor/dole scroungers thread: +500 internet points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Turning a thread into a stealth anti-poor/dole scroungers thread: +500 internet points.

I think it was a valid point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Person A - oh carbs, how i love you so...

Person B - I hope you're talking about the food variety

Person A - there are other carbs???

Person B - Damn, my dyslexia has come back to haunt me again.

Person A - ha-ha! good thing we sorted that one out!

Person B has since deleted their original comment, but I saw it.. really should have screen grabbed it.

Cian A wrote: »
    I think it was a valid point

I don't see what people's jobs have to do with it: some of the smartest people I know work "menial" jobs, or don't even have jobs, and I know more than my fair share of stupid professionals. One of my dumbest facebook friends is probably the richest.

Anyway, back on topic:

"Today I realised that the one person I can trust is myself.. I just found out that I was just an option for someone else's boredom all along" how twisted is that. Well I hope they have a great ****in life.. Because they defo won't be hearing from me again...I'm no fool:-)..P.S you know who ya are :-\"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

pudzey101 wrote: »
    and that stupid lollypop thing!!!

Yeah, just what is that about?
    About 10 friends have that linked, but I haven't been bothered to click on it, apparently it's soooo scary....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Apanachi wrote: »
    About 10 friends have that linked, but I haven't been bothered to click on it, apparently it's soooo scary....

I clicked on that link, not so much scary, just funny :)
    the lollipop just reminded me of hard candy film, not connected at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Apanachi wrote: »

Ah the old lollipop thing is probably one of the most decent things I've seen on fb.

Tayla wrote: »
    Not a status but someone i'm friends with with on facebook just created a photo album entitled 'September mushrooms'....

containing photos of yes you've guessed it...

I think I'm 'friends' on FB with this person too!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

A couple of gems...

(I actually never hide these people as they make me laugh so much, far more annoying are the hipsters who use hashtags... ON #FACEBOOK!!!)

#1:

‎"...Wants to say happy 1 month anniversary to my amazing boyfriend :-* I love you lots and lots babe xxxx with *boyfriends name*"

#2:

"Yup k sick the fat jokes i ****ing get it"

This girl isn't fat, she just wants attention...

#3:

"wen a boy tells u! oh u can trust mi not matter wat o its frends liik u i need in mi life nd all dis **** dont ****in take 1 word of it... i was told he wud never let mi dwn dat he was always der 4 mi no matter wat nd den u tell him nearly every ting nd he **** back stabs u well diss person im onna bout is a faggett!!! ughhhhh"

This girl is 14.....

And whats with the status shuffle thing, it's a thing that picks stupid statuses for you??!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Roisy7 wrote: »
    #3:

"wen a boy tells u! oh u can trust mi not matter wat o its frends liik u i need in mi life nd all dis **** dont ****in take 1 word of it... i was told he wud never let mi dwn dat he was always der 4 mi no matter wat nd den u tell him nearly every ting nd he **** back stabs u well diss person im onna bout is a faggett!!! ughhhhh"

Oh man :( That made me sadder than anything else in that status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

i don't understand people who use 'words' like mi for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I've noticed a couple of girls renaming their accounts to include "princess". For example, Princess Tina McMahon. Wtf is this all about. You're not royalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

"Today I realised that the one person I can trust is myself.. I just found out that I was just an option for someone else's boredom all along" how twisted is that. Well I hope they have a great ****in life.. Because they defo won't be hearing from me again...I'm no fool:-)..P.S you know who ya are :-\"
    I dont get why people would post this. Either A) They're still friends with them on Facebook, B) they've got their settings on public (and maybe know this and assume the person will be checking their Facebook page a lot, C) They're 99.7% looking for attention. :confused:

• Advertisement

LiamN wrote: »
    I dont get why people would post this. Either A) They're still friends with them on Facebook, B) they've got their settings on public (and maybe know this and assume the person will be checking their Facebook page a lot, C) They're 99.7% looking for attention. :confused:

I think it's a strong case of (C) with this person: 99% of their output is attention-seeking nonsense along the lines of "If you can't take me for who I am...," "All you haters can go and...".

The worst thing is that they never say anything original, always cut-and-paste nonsense.

Yet I keep them on my newsfeed as I find them strangely fascinating...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Yet I keep them on my newsfeed as I find them strangely fascinating...

It's like a car crash, you want to look away but you just can't...

gatecrash wrote: »

A few people on my facebook use "hunni" instead of "honey" too.

It's the same number of letters! :mad:

That wrecks my head. I just do not understand that sort of carry on. You are not reducing the amount of keystrokes, you are not doing anything, just making the post more difficult for people who have more than 2 working braincells to read!!

I finally had enough of one f-b acquaintance 2 weeks ago.

This girl is married to a private in the US army, is from Derry and has only recently moved to the States from Sheringham in Norfolk.

She came out with such gems as "I can't believe Steve Jobs is no longer with us, I can't believe he's gone, no one can walk in his footsteps"

The straw(s) that broke the camels back were around the time of Ghadaffi's capture and subsequent death/execution.

Initially it was all american gung ho "HOO-AH, We got him!!"

Then came this.

"I know he was regarded as evil, but he stood up for my people when no one else did, he supported them when no one else would"

I can only assume she was talking about how he provided arms to the terror groups...

That was followed by a swift retraction from her, and a swift deletion from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Twee. wrote: »
    Oh man :( That made me sadder than anything else in that status.

Maybe she's Canadian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

That wrecks my head. I just do not understand that sort of carry on. You are not reducing the amount of keystrokes, you are not doing anything, just making the post more difficult for people who have more than 2 working braincells to read!!

That drives me mental too. A few years ago, in 6th year, we had a debate about Bebo and part of my speech was about how it ruins language - my research (a.k.a. academically-sanctioned stalking :P) turned up 14 different spellings of "you" :mad:. Most of them weren't abbreviations either. My favourites were "yhoo" and "yooh" (which led to "yhoor" for "you're" in one case *facepalm*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Watch out for the seemingy decent shy
    gracious 'not washing my linen in public' girls, very coy that status is suspiciously eternally single is there not the option of swinger, fùck bud etc?

.. actually watch out for that status in general. Found to often not be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Watch out for the seemingy decent shy
    gracious 'not washing my linen in public' girls, very coy that status is suspiciously eternally single is there not the option of swinger, fùck bud etc?

.. actually watch out for that status in general. Found to often not be true
    its complicated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

wen a boy tells u! oh u can trust mi not matter wat o its frends liik u i need in mi life nd all dis...
    I actually like the way the language is evolving, changing the spelling of 'me' and 'my' (which the person probably pronounces the same anyway) to the one word, cuts down on the total number of words one may have to learn...

superdoubleplusgood:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I know, it's great. Soon we'll be down to "mi mi mi, mimi, mi mi mi!"

...Oh, wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭netnerd

"The only reason I'm fat is because a tiny body couldn't store all this personality"

...the latest status from a fat auld lass I used to work with.

Fbjm wrote: »
    Lol. Just lol.

Eh, maybe you should hide the names! (If they're real)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Eh, maybe you should hide the names! (If they're real)

...oops. I actually don't know how :eek:

Me neither! Quick, we need a photoshop expert here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

And whats with the status shuffle thing, it's a thing that picks stupid statuses for you??!!

yeah it's been around for a good bit that. some of them(1 or 2) can be funny enough.

But the worst thing is that i think some of the people who like the statuses from it actually think the person that posted it made the status up, when there's note a hope they'd come up with something like that.

Same as some of the copy & paste 'rants' that get replys like 'you go girl' or 'well said' when the people replying think the poster came up with it
    Jaxxy wrote: »
    I've noticed a couple of girls renaming their accounts to include "princess". For example, Princess Tina McMahon. Wtf is this all about. You're not royalty.

are they travellers? I've seen a lot of travellers do that but i'm not sure if they just put it there or that's their real name

Copypasta from my wall;
    OP: I can't believe what just happened....!!
    People like this.

Person A: U ok OP xx

OP: Yeah I'm alright dw xx

Person A: Hope so hun xx

Person B: I nooooooooo!!!!!

Seriously, what? Why must this be announced to the world, well, I say "this", I don't even know what "this" is*, attention/validation seeking? Why can't people work the bloody chat thing? Saying that I was just about to put this person on ignore and I find I am no longer sure of how to do this... maybe they really can't work chat...

*I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Just open it in Paint and draw a black line over the names? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

So now we have 1 with the names and 1 without :D

So now we have 1 with the names and 1 without :D

We do indeed. ;)

We do indeed. ;)
    If you copy the image location on mine you can edit your post and change your link. Problem solved!

Lol. Just lol.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    If you copy the image location on mine you can edit your post and change your link. Problem solved!

Done! (kind of) :D

Done! (kind of) :D
    No harm done so ;)

Imagine if the person had seen it! They would be going through their friend list wondering who it was and getting all paranoid lol

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    No harm done so ;)

Imagine if the person had seen it! They would be going through their friend list wondering who it was and getting all paranoid lol

Haha yeah, glad we dodged that bullet! :pac:

"Do you ever wonder if the stars shine out for you?"

Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

LiamN wrote: »

The worst is when people post up saying something like "I've had a "clean-out" of their facebook friends. If you can see this then you made the cut, congratulations"

It's pointless, attention-seeking and just nasty. The klind of thing you do when you're 12, not 30. Two people I know have done this, they both got de-friended pretty fast. I don't want to have "made the cut", thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

There's one on my friends LIST who capitalises random WORDS for EMPHASIS. She says the strangest things.

"That girl needs too get a F**KING LIFE like seriously.what a waste sge is.UGH.makes me so ANGRY."

"F**k sake Michael D Higgins is the new president of IRELAND god help us all.the irish people cant vote properly like COP ON for FECK SAKE."

There are quite a lot of tabloid editors who think that's perfectly sound grammar, poor girl might just have read too much of the Mail.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement