Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single .50 Cal Round

Options
  • 13-04-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

I'm trying to purchase a single .50 Cal BMG Round, or something similar, for dislay purposes. Is it possible to buy/deliver to Dublin, either a single round, or even a dummy round?

I thought this the best place to ask, thanks to any who reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

whats the story with having a used 50 cal round, is it illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Last time I was in Jim Halpins in Listowel they had a good few dummy rounds for sale and I'm nearly sure there was a .50 cal there.

Google them and you will find there website, they should post it to you if u ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Egyptian wrote: »
    I'm trying to purchase a single .50 Cal BMG Round, or something similar, for dislay purposes. Is it possible to buy/deliver to Dublin, either a single round, or even a dummy round?

I bought one in Army Bargins in the early 90's

No idea where it is today though.

I have not been in that shop in 15 years, I hear it is the same though

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If it's live, it's technically a firearm, so you probably don't want that.
    Dummy rounds though, well that's a gray area. There have been two court cases taken over bullet boards (a collection of different calibre dummy rounds mounted for display), but both were thrown out of court, and frankly, I think you'd have to get up someone's nose for that kind of treatment. I'd mention it to my local guy myself if I was getting one, but I'm a cautious sort :D

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

You used to be able to get them from surplusandadventure.co.uk . I got an inert GAU8/A 30mm shell from an A10 there at christmas. It's worth a look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Sparks wrote: »
    Dummy rounds though, well that's a gray area. ... I think you'd have to get up someone's nose for that kind of treatment.

Agreed.

OP - You had better watch out. Make the wrong person mad and who knows what could happen.

I believe that certain laws are allowed to be nebulously written in order to allow maximum leeway for prosecution.

I have been informed on this board that storing used brass casings could be a problem as the brass is counted as a round.

eg you pick up your spent brass to store in the hopes of reloading them some day or because people like Tackleberry who like to make ornaments out of them.
    shutgun_shell_lights.jpg

You accumulate 1000 casings over time and your license is only for 100. You are in violation of the law!

If so, then you should have a license to possess even one round or parts thereof for a 50 Cal. Which is highly doubtful, but greatly encouraged.

I have 1000 on my shotty and 500 on both Rifles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

I have a belt of deactivated (powder removed, caps fired) 5.56 rounds.....is this counted as illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

FISMA wrote: »
    Agreed.

OP - You had better watch out. Make the wrong person mad and who knows what could happen.

I believe that certain laws are allowed to be nebulously written in order to allow maximum leeway for prosecution.

I have been informed on this board that storing used brass casings could be a problem as the brass is counted as a round.

eg you pick up your spent brass to store in the hopes of reloading them some day or because people like Tackleberry who like to make ornaments out of them.
    shutgun_shell_lights.jpg

You accumulate 1000 casings over time and your license is only for 100. You are in violation of the law!

If so, then you should have a license to possess even one round or parts thereof for a 50 Cal. Which is highly doubtful, but greatly encouraged.

Shells are not an issue, bullets are not an issue, put together with powder,primer they are live and an issue

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

From a legal point of view for every round, whether its fired or live, etc, you must have a license that covers that caliber. As Sparks mentioned above there have been cases before the courts that came to nothing, but do not allow this to lull you into thinking that you can have or do as you please.

A dummy round is harmless. 99% of the time nothing will come of it. However if you are into collecting them, in any queantity, it would be in your own best interests to visit your local Firearms fficer and inform them that you do this as a hobby and you can guarantee that all rounds are inert and can never be used again.

As to ammo belts and other clothing items. My sister has an old bullet belt from her teens years. The one she has is perfectly fine as they are not only dummy rounds they are fake dumm rounds. They are moulds of 5.56 ammo. Made entirely from a single cast and in no way, shape or form a bullet/round. However if you have a belt of ammo, and it is actually fired ammo/inert rounds LEGALLY you should have a license for the caliber as even spent cases are classed as componant parts and require licensing.

I suppose the best advice would be to inform your local FO for any medium to large quantity collection of rounds. If they are purely ornaments and have never been a live round you're fine, and lastly if they were a live round at some point and are now inert and used as apparel consider drilling the base of the casing to guarantee they cannot be used again and remember at all times lads/ladies ................. CYA.

Its easier to explain something before hand than loose everything trying to explain afterwards.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

As said ...grey area..It IS illegal IF somone wants to make life a problem for you,and it ISNT IF nobody wants to bother you either.Of course IF you do somthing daft with it..llike mailing it to somone with a threat,you deserve everything you get.
    Best thing you can do IMHO ,is drill a small hole close to the base of the round right thru the case.That destroys it completly for ever having the possibility of being fired again or reloaded,and it would be hard to argue that it is a vaible usable round for nefarious purposes.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Shells are not an issue, bullets are not an issue, put together with powder,primer they are live and an issue

Cases, bullets are classed as componant parts of a round and must have valid license to have either. The powder and primers are also componant parts, but fall under the explosives act.

So no matter what part of a round you have you need a license for it - LEGALLY.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Ezridax wrote: »
    Cases, bullets are classed as componant parts of a round and must have valid license to have either. The powder and primers are also componant parts, but fall under the explosives act.

Only in Ireland, what a fine system we have:confused::confused:

Dont think so

Care to explain?

Care to explain?

I will make some enquiries first, I'll be back:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Don't think I'd risk it. (Sorry Chem for dragging that back up!).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69746697&postcount=38

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

contact duffeys gun shop in galway city,he sell lots of stuff like that!.:)

johngalway wrote: »
    Don't think I'd risk it. (Sorry Chem for dragging that back up!).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69746697&postcount=38

OHHHHHHHHHH **** how did I miss that:eek:

Be sure to quote your sources. I'd be interested to know who is telling you that you do not need a license to own/possess componant parts of ammunition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Well after searching a view sites, I came across http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/-/Spent_.50_Cal_Round/3850/2222.html (remove link if necessary), and decided to order 1 Spent .50 Cal Round, along with 1 Spent 20mm Vulcan Round.

Apparently they have been dispatched, so I'll post back if/when they arrive.

Thanks for all the replies, fingers crossed they deliver without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Well after searching a view sites, I came across http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/-/Spent_.50_Cal_Round/3850/2222.html (remove link if necessary), and decided to order 1 Spent .50 Cal Round, along with 1 Spent 20mm Vulcan Round.

Apparently they have been dispatched, so I'll post back if/when they arrive.

Thanks for all the replies, fingers crossed they deliver without any problems.

If not I`ll see you in court :(

Some Garda looking for promotion will still have "firearms offence" under his/her belt when going for interview.

Folks. I have found out this is not uncommon at all here. Collectors are been turned into criminals here. Even was told of an ex armyman been done for having brass shells, that were made into a throphy for winning a boxing match.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A great pity there is no way that people could be interviewd and get statements off them once the court cases are over of this kind of harrassment?:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

hate seeing stuff like that happen to lads like chem,but just out of curiosity why do you want an inert .50cal round or 20mm round?

bazza888 wrote: »
    hate seeing stuff like that happen to lads like chem,but just out of curiosity why do you want an inert .50cal round or 20mm round?

be-cause

If you Polish them up they make a lovely Firseside companion set ;)

http://img514.imageshack.us/i/pc040951xa9.jpg/sr=1

shell1.jpg

Or if you Like Art/History
    rare-1914-1919-wwi-trench-art-pair-shell-case-vases-4bb49.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

i can understand the shell casings theres many beside a fireplace around the country with the fire set in it,i mean why an inert 50cal round does the op collect or just want it out of curiosity?

I originally wanted to embed it or simply attach it to my PS3 ( Currently working on redesigning the case ). But I think I'll just have it displayed beside it.

When trying to buy one online, I found it very difficult to find a company that delivered to Ireland, and so I was more determined to get one, due to the fact that not many others would have one.

I originally wanted to embed it or simply attach it to my PS3 ( Currently working on redesigning the case ). But I think I'll just have it displayed beside it.

When trying to buy one online, I found it very difficult to find a company that delivered to Ireland, and so I was more determined to get one, due to the fact that not many others would have one.
    ;)
    Wanna bet Ill send you on pics:D

;)
    Wanna bet Ill send you on pics:D

Please do :)

I'm hoping that the rounds I've ordered have been polished back to semi-decent condition. Are your rounds decent looking?

• Advertisement

Please do :)

I'm hoping that the rounds I've ordered have been polished back to semi-decent condition. Are your rounds decent looking?

The shell at the back is a 105mm fired during the invasion of Beirut in 1982 by the Israelis or Christian Militia backed allies. I tried to show the writing at the bottom, it is Hebrew. The Two at the front were fired to start the first JP McManus first pro-am golf tournament 4th July 2005 at Adare Manor to launch the Charity event.

Advertisement