Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY or Professional job?

Options
  • 13-04-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

We have 30sq mts of decking out the back. It is in desperate need of cleaning and possibly restoring. Ive never cleaned decking before, so I just wondering if people can offer a few opinions.

Is is cheaper and easier to hire someone or to do it myself?

I have no idea of products costs, or how much it would be to hire someone. I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

hi. if you wona do good job on decking you need power washer. first you need to brush in to decking Decking Cleaner ( about 20e) and leave this for about half an hour, after that you have to power wash all decking, and when decking dry out you have to paint it with some decking oil/protector (40-70e for 5 l.). the best would be to put two coats

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

hi. if you wona do good job on decking you need power washer. first you need to brush in to decking Decking Cleaner ( about 20e) and leave this for about half an hour, after that you have to power wash all decking, and when decking dry out you have to paint it with some decking oil/protector (40-70e for 5 l.). the best would be to put two coats

is decking oil/protector sufficient to provide a good colour/stain? or would some stain need to be applied first?

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

One needs to be very careful when using a power washer to clean decking. High pressure power washers will cause serious damage by ripping the surface of the boards. DIY washers may not have sufficient pressure to cause such damage. Applying oil/protector is not painting but although applied by brushing/rolling provides a surface protection this should not be confused with a stain which is painted on to provide a new colour finish. Badly soiled/old boards will require darker stains. Stains tend to be somewhat transparent but there are stronger pigments available. The process is frequently repeated and is a consequence of the unsuitability of decking for Irish climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Those patio attachments work well on decking. Have a Karcher and the attachment is called the T-racer. Gives a good uniform clean while not being too powerful to damage the wood.

Advertisement