Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes LTI prescriptions

Options
  • 13-04-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone has heard same thing when getting their regular prescription filled at chemist. Was told yesterday I need to get my prescription updated every 2 months!! Some new HSE thing??

I get it updated every 6 months at clinic and even then it rarely changes, so thought of having to get my GP to write new script every 2 months is a bit barmy. Plus could be v.expensive.

cheers,
    Phil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

philten wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone has heard same thing when getting their regular prescription filled at chemist. Was told yesterday I need to get my prescription updated every 2 months!! Some new HSE thing??

I get it updated every 6 months at clinic and even then it rarely changes, so thought of having to get my GP to write new script every 2 months is a bit barmy. Plus could be v.expensive.

cheers,
    Phil

Got mine filled a week ago, nothing said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Scripts are normally good for 6 months but its depends on what the doctor has written. They might have said 2 months

If you attend a clinic there is no fee for updated scripts

Depending on what the medication is, the docs have always updated scripts for free for my dad and he is type 1

Like I said you doctors might have written your script for 2 months. May want to see you again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I used to occasionally have the pharmacist saying I needed to get it resigned every 6 months. Think I had gone at least two or three years between getting it done usually, I refused to pay a GP to do it on principle though as all the items on it that were ever changed were based on what they changed at the hospital clinic. No point in me going to the hospital, them saying you should be using this insulin, then me having to go to the GP and pay them €60 to get them to copy down what someone else had just told me to start taking.

If they changed things at the hospital then I just got them to fill out the whole book again and re-sign including the non-diabetes stuff...if I had remembered to take the LTI book with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

robinph wrote: »
    I used to occasionally have the pharmacist saying I needed to get it resigned every 6 months. Think I had gone at least two or three years between getting it done usually, I refused to pay a GP to do it on principle though as all the items on it that were ever changed were based on what they changed at the hospital clinic. No point in me going to the hospital, them saying you should be using this insulin, then me having to go to the GP and pay them €60 to get them to copy down what someone else had just told me to start taking.

If they changed things at the hospital then I just got them to fill out the whole book again and re-sign including the non-diabetes stuff...if I had remembered to take the LTI book with me.

Naughty naughty pharmacist for not following legisation! Tut tut;)

And to think ive spent the last 4 years learning it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I got mine filled yesterday and no mention of this.
    I have had one pharmacist ask me to get a new one every 2 years but most don't say anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

I have been getting supplies for over 10 years or so and never heard of this. Usually get them updated at clinic visit every 6 months or so, my local GP wouldn't be up to date with what changes have been made or with my treatment in general. Seems a bit mad to be forkin out 60 quid every two months to the same script updated each time!

Will see what happens when go in in another months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Seems a bit mad to be forkin out 60 quid every two months to the same script updated each time!

Try being a Schizophrenic, pay 60+ quid every 2-3 months for new script, pay 120 quid every month for drugs. Never mind extra trips to GP to get blood tests/whatever in between psychiatrist visits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭brianthelion

My scripts are every 2 months and narcotics are monthly but here in Canada we do not pay Drs or Hospital fees

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

nesf wrote: »
    Try being a Schizophrenic, pay 60+ quid every 2-3 months for new script, pay 120 quid every month for drugs. Never mind extra trips to GP to get blood tests/whatever in between psychiatrist visits.

Cripes that's not easy. Us diabetics are lucky to get all our meds covered on LTI scheme!

Cripes that's not easy. Us diabetics are lucky to get all our meds covered on LTI scheme!

Yeah, it's a real strong incentive to go on welfare if you're not very well paid which is dumb really. But there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Yeah, it's a real strong incentive to go on welfare if you're not very well paid which is dumb really. But there you go.

why dont you get the psych clinic to write your script, which you can take directly to the chemist? (those with medical card will have to get script issued via gp but they wont be charged for the visit obviously).

i always give patients a script for long enough to cover them until they are due back at clinic again. plus i just send a note to the gp so that they are aware of any changes in meds.

sam34 wrote: »
    why dont you get the psych clinic to write your script, which you can take directly to the chemist? (those with medical card will have to get script issued via gp but they wont be charged for the visit obviously).

i always give patients a script for long enough to cover them until they are due back at clinic again. plus i just send a note to the gp so that they are aware of any changes in meds.

My psych writes the script but it only lasts 2-3 months because my drugs are changed a lot while they're trying to figure out a combination that works for me.

My psych writes the script but it only lasts 2-3 months because my drugs are changed a lot while they're trying to figure out a combination that works for me.

:confused: do they then not give you a new script when they're altering things?

:confused: do they then not give you a new script when they're altering things?

Yup, but my psych costs me 50 quid a session. Was caught in that awkward place between qualifying for a quick public psych appointment and a long wait and ended up going private.

Regardless the psych appointments don't bother me cost wise, it's the constant 120 quid a month that grates at me when other people get their drugs for free.

Yup, but my psych costs me 50 quid a session. Was caught in that awkward place between qualifying for a quick public psych appointment and a long wait and ended up going private.

Regardless the psych appointments don't bother me cost wise, it's the constant 120 quid a month that grates at me when other people get their drugs for free.

ah. i thought you were going to a public psych clinic, leaving without a script and then paying a gp to write the script.

ah. i thought you were going to a public psych clinic, leaving without a script and then paying a gp to write the script.

I'm not quite that crazy, my dear.

Advertisement