Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Attenuation help?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I reckon they've wired your phone line the "scenic route" around your town even though you are a stones throw from the exchange. Your line attenuation is high and that figure does not change much if at all.

What they need to do to improve your speeds is put you on ADSL2+ but in fairness this needs to be done with everyone in the country who is on the ancient ADSL platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭liamf

@notahappycamper: thanks for pointing out that pre-qualification URL and the fact that it gives suggested upper limit.

Of course, this has just given me something else to be annoyed at eircom about, given that my parents' house is rated for 17Mbps when all they use it for is to check the death notices of a morning, whereas all I can get is 2Mbps and I am a card carrying, fully paid up, active member of the smart economy what not.

feckers.

I just thought of something there as well - OP is your exchange NGB enabled ie Next Generation Broadband enabled? You can check it by running that broadband checker link I provided a few posts back and look in the address bar (I think it's at the end on the far right) and look out for "NGB=" where after the = it will say true or false. True means ngb is enabled and false that it's not. If it is enabled get on to Eircom and tell them to sync your modem at 6MB. They have a forum on here over on the "talk to" section on Boards. PM one of the reps with your phone no. and get them to sort it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

just a quick update ,

these are the stats my line if giving me on my router now
    again.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What in the name of all that's holy is happening with that line?! Did eircom carry out any work on it? Antocann, have you made any changes with your router or line since you reported only getting speeds of 3 to 4 mbps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

your line can now handle more speed

2 attenuation means ur as explained, right outside the door of the exchange

you could order 24mb if its available from the exchange, i would think you would be getting over 20mb sync

low att = good
    high att = bad

higher snr = good
    low snr = bad

p.s - also get rid of the eircom zyxel, load of rubbish

How can a line's attenuation change from 50dB to 2dB? The line must have been physically altered or else there's strange goings-on in Strokestown:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

maybe the recent rain mended the phone line from his house to exchange :D

All 200 metres of it!

• Advertisement

i aint got a clue whats goin on with it either .no , no work done on it , well none that i know of .

when i first posted about it my line attenuation was good , then when eircom upped my speed it when worse now its good again ,

just checked it there , everything is the same as this morning except the noise margin is 25db/16db

any idea why it the line's attenuation would change like that ?

It is a mystery to me. You may as well get on to eircom and ask for the full 8 mbps if you're bothered. The upload speed increase in particular can be quite useful. The prequal database might take a few weeks to update before they let you increase speeds but they may be persuaded to increase speed now by those very good line stats.

im happy enough with what its at now , its just the mystery of the stats that keep changing :D

also here's what speedtest gave me

1281639331.png

so for once im gething the correct speed

antocann wrote: »
    also here's what speedtest gave me

1281639331.png

so for once im gething the correct speed

That's good! Something was definitely changed for you at the exchange. If you have any further problems PM one of the Eircom support people over on the "Talk to" forum with your landline no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The lads probably blew a spiders nest out of a junction box somewhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Just got my package upgraded and the following are the results that the router is showing me. Should I leave well alone or should I push vodafone to try me on a full 24mb based on these statistics.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 19273 kbps 765 kbps
    Line Attenuation 10.0 db 3.6 db
    Noise Margin 6.9 db 20.3 db

You probably should leave well alone. I'd have expected such a short line to get over 20 mbps speed, but Vodafone have already set the line to work as fast as possible. You might be better off restarting the router and see if that improves the speed much.

Improving internal wiring with correctly-wired sockets, removing any unnecessary wires, extensions and cable and using a special master socket with a built in filter particularly can help.

Eircom linesmen who are out and about in a van can give you one if you ask them nicely! They have to be used on the first socket the outside line is connected to, and the modem has to be used on that socket but it allows you to use whatever extension sockets and wiring with no harm to the DSL signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

You probably should leave well alone. I'd have expected such a short line to get over 20 mbps speed, but Vodafone have already set the line to work as fast as possible. You might be better off restarting the router and see if that improves the speed much.

Improving internal wiring with correctly-wired sockets, removing any unnecessary wires, extensions and cable and using a special master socket with a built in filter particularly can help.

Eircom linesmen who are out and about in a van can give you one if you ask them nicely! They have to be used on the first socket the outside line is connected to, and the modem has to be used on that socket but it allows you to use whatever extension sockets and wiring with no harm to the DSL signal.

Sorry I should have updated the speedtest on my signature before posting - speedtest now updated

That speedtest picture is irrelevant. The line stats from the modem were much more important:)

The speedtest is about right for a line with a raw data rate of 19 mbps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement