Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrono's, User feedback and advice

Options
  • 13-04-2011 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/view-shooting-products.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=20&category_id=7

Buying a chrono in the next few weeks all things going well.

I want one that folks on here can reccomend from personal experience, not googling ;) (I can do that myself)

I notice you can now get lights them etc for over cast days.
    myself an Paulo discovered how they read error when light fades

Is the link above the best one to buy?
    Has anyone ever chrono'd through 2 different chrono's to see if they are accurate?
    Is there a way to calibrate them periodically?
    I never use a Multimeter or any measuring equip in work for precise measurements that are not calibrated often.

Also, I don't want to buy one just to be told ............"You should have bought this one "

My budget is €200 or less, all included.
    I did notice some offer Laptop interfaces which I assume would be handy for working out drop charts through software.

I'd like to hear good and bad stories about vendors and products.
    Cheers in advance for all relevant feedback

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have the Chrony Master Chronograph.

Its compact enough to be carried in my kit bag, yet folds out and does everything i need. It measures in fps which is something to watch out for. Some models come in mps and do no have a switch to fps function.

In strong sunlight i use the shades and in overcast conditions i leave them off and only use the side bars as a guide. In low light, dawn/dusk, the readings can be sporadic or i may not even get a reading.

Once your set up conditions are the same accurate, reliable readings should be got. Its simply a matter of mounting it, turing it on, and shooting. Don't be caught out either, they do not come with a tripod. I had a spare one from an old spotting scope. It must be able to extend to a few feet (depending on the height of the surface you are shooting from, table/floor, etc).

In order to see if its true you would nearly need to set up one chrono behind the other to see if the readings are close or the same. I haven;t done this, and really see no need for it.

I choose this one for its reputation and the extras that can be gotten. Such as the extension reader that means if you set up 7+ feet away you can have a smaller screen/reader right beside you so no need to move or get up. You can also have the balistics printer that tallies shots, averages, SD/ES, etc.

Overall happy out with it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Ezridax wrote: »
    I have the Chrony Master Chronograph.

I choose this one for its reputation and the extras that can be gotten. Such as the extension reader that means if you set up 7+ feet away you can have a smaller screen/reader right beside you so no need to move or get up. You can also have the balistics printer that tallies shots, averages, SD/ES, etc.

Overall happy out with it.

I had not considered the metres per second vs feet per second alright.
    yep that looks like what i want and for the price i want to pay.

Is there anyone in Ireland selling them for similar price, as you know i always try and shop local.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Using the Prochrono Digital myself and find very good, I also have the PC interface that will allow you to read and show all the data on the Prochrono on the PC, makes it easy to use the mouse for retrieving the data or set up a new string.
    I put clear plastic covers over the 2 windows to stop the rain and dirt from getting into the workings.

I used a tripod from Aldi for it. Only need the shades in strong sun light and you can get the IR light for indoors or dim light.

The last one I saw sold was from Atlantic sports in Carlow @€;95.

Let you look at it next time your at Midlands. Seen plenty of them used there.

Is there anyone in Ireland selling them for similar price, as you know i always try and shop local.

Not that i've found so i bought mine in Tannyoky for £109. :)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

clivej wrote: »
    Using the Prochrono Digital myself and find very good, I also have the PC interface that will allow you to read and show all the data on the Prochrono on the PC, makes it easy to use the mouse for retrieving the data or set up a new string.
    I put clear plastic covers over the 2 windows to stop the rain and dirt from getting into the workings.

I used a tripod from Aldi for it. Only need the shades in strong sun light and you can get the IR light for indoors or dim light.

The last one I saw sold was from Atlantic sports in Carlow @€;95.

Let you look at it next time your at Midlands. Seen plenty of them used there.

I just rang Sean in Atlantic and he has one second hand crono for sale.

I will be popping in tomorrow for a look at it.

And also to pick up my cz. It's had a face lift. Pics to follow. :D

• Advertisement

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    I just rang Sean in Atlantic and he has one second hand crono for sale.

I will be popping in tomorrow for a look at it.

And also to pick up my cz. It's had a face lift. Pics to follow. :D

Thanks for buying OUR new chrono :D

Okay thought this would be best suited here for 2 reasons. One its about Chronos and two its about .308 SuperPerformance 150gr.

Went over to the range to rezero Father's rifle and decided to chrono the results as i was zeroing. Two birds with one stone and all that. Light conditions were not great and i was forced to have the chrono a bit closer than i would have liked. Remmy 24" barrel, 11.25 twist. Using 150gr S/P Hornady. Results as follows:

Shot 1|Shot 2|Shot3|Shot 4|Shot 5
    3186|3199|3204|3192|3208

ES = 22
    SD = 7.5

Now i thought the speeds for the Superformance may have been a bit high. The chrono was set up at 7 feet (could be a bit close) and the light was not great. So i took 3 shots with 190gr as i've checked these before and gotten average apeeds of 2650 (ish). When i fired the 3 shots i got between 2638 - 2677. So i was happy enough that the chrono was not too affected if at all by the light conditions. Also a chap at the range today used my chrono and was getting 2450 - 2495 with 175gr and said that was about what he expected from those rounds with his rifle.

I am picking up some more ammo in the next few days and will try this test in sunny conditions and then through my Savage and the Father's remmy. That will give more precise result and truer overview of the effects of different barrels with different twist rates.

Okay thought this would be best suited here for 2 reasons. One its about Chronos and two its about .308 SuperPerformance 150gr.

Went over to the range to rezero Father's rifle and decided to chrono the results as i was zeroing. Two birds with one stone and all that. Light conditions were not great and i was forced to have the chrono a bit closer than i would have liked. Remmy 24" barrel, 11.25 twist. Using 150gr S/P Hornady. Results as follows:

Shot 1|Shot 2|Shot3|Shot 4|Shot 5
    3186|3199|3204|3192|3208

ES = 22
    SD = 7.5

Now i thought the speeds for the Superformance may have been a bit high. The chrono was set up at 7 feet (could be a bit close) and the light was not great. So i took 3 shots with 190gr as i've checked these before and gotten average apeeds of 2650 (ish). When i fired the 3 shots i got between 2638 - 2677. So i was happy enough that the chrono was not too affected if at all by the light conditions. Also a chap at the range today used my chrono and was getting 2450 - 2495 with 175gr and said that was about what he expected from those rounds with his rifle.

I am picking up some more ammo in the next few days and will try this test in sunny conditions and then through my Savage and the Father's remmy. That will give more precise result and truer overview of the effects of different barrels with different twist rates.

that is very good standard deviation

I think that the .308 Superformance is a serious round.
    Must fire some out my 20" barrel and see what the speeds are (when ever paulo picks up OUR Chrono that is :D )

In the interests of science would you like to put two chrono's back to back and test them on a range for deviation between each other?

We could publish the results for others to see.

That could be arranged. Would be interesting to see the differences, if any.

That could be arranged. Would be interesting to see the differences, if any.

Coolio

It's a date :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Coolio

It's a date :D

Did you buy a chrono as well.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Heh, heh.:D

Advertisement