Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle Cartridge Reloading Cost Calculator

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Zulu,
    Thanks for the link. I am stateside now and just got most of the bits and pieces to reload.

Reloading is really a labor of love. If I actually save money, I will be shocked, even ignoring my time.

I am going to plug all my data in and see if it is worth it.

From what I hear once you reload, you'll spend more money because you want to shoot more.

Slan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

FISMA wrote: »
    Zulu,
    Thanks for the link. I am stateside now and just got most of the bits and pieces to reload.

Reloading is really a labor of love. If I actually save money, I will be shocked, even ignoring my time.

I am going to plug all my data in and see if it is worth it.

From what I hear once you reload, you'll spend more money because you want to shoot more.

Slan.

I love the way folk dumb down the work involved.
    Rolling your own if it was soo easy all the guys in the US would do it and not bother with factory.

The inital set up cost, to do it "properly" and keep it sweet would not see a ROI I believe until year 2 or even 3.

But yes, a labour of love.

Especially on the dark winters evenings.
    I love consistencey.
    If we ever get it, I'd love to develope one load for each rifle and stick to it.

The reason being, I like to know the round I am using inside out.
    Not to need a laptop on your arm to take a shot at a bunny or a Corvid out to decent ranges.

I hate the way every April I run out of ammo and teh Dealers have none of teh good stuff.

Same thing has beeing happening since God was a boy.

They always find something to blame it on.
    They will never admit, One Importer who imports once a year.
    Then hoards it like gold dust.

I've been offered HPS 75grain VLDS in .223, however I hae to buy in bulk and they are an unknown round for me.

The Berger VLD's are getting good reports stateside.
    However as almost nobody shoots them in .223 here it's hard to get good feedback on them.

A lot of walter mitty's who recite what it says on the net.
    What I want to know is how they will shoot in my rifle ;)
    But €635 for 500 is a bit risk if they are not what I imagine them to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I love the way folk dumb down the work involved.
    Yeah, anyone that gets into reloading better be read the NRA book, read the Preface in the Hornady Manual, the preface in the Speer, and the Preface in the Lyman, then watch some youtube videos, and then reload - a small round.
    Rolling your own if it was soo easy all the guys in the US would do it and not bother with factory.
    With the prices in the states, it is very tempting to just buy factory stuff. Even the most expensive SuperFormance in 338 Win Mag is around $40.00.

The inital set up cost, to do it "properly" and keep it sweet would not see a ROI I believe until year 2 or even 3.

I will post a reloading thread sometime in the next few months. I will advise the minimum costs involved, however, it is considerable over here. I can only imagine what it would be in Ireland.

The return in money will depend upon yourself. However, the return in accuracy and precision will be the first shot.
    I hate the way every April I run out of ammo and teh Dealers have none of teh good stuff.
    They know we want to shoot during the summer. Hence my post on the price of ammo.
    I've been offered HPS 75grain VLDS in .223, however I hae to buy in bulk and they are an unknown round for me.
    Depending upon the rifle, I still buy in bulk. Especially, when I shoot iron sights. When I go irons sights at 100, 200, or 300 - I am the biggest variable, not the rifle, not the ammo. No need for fancy stuff. If I can hit a 10" plate, I am happy.

Advertisement