Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tubridy Off To B.B.C

Comments

Seems like there is a few RTE employees on this thread.
    I don't like Tubridy because he is affected,a beneficiary of nepotism like so many in RTE and no matter who was presenting the Late Late Show it would get good figures as people just watch it out of habit.
    RTE is losing money and he is losing listeners and the Late Late will too.
    If the BBC want another Henry Kelly good luck to them,but that's unfair on Henry.

I think there's a small audience that watch tubs.

There's an equally small audience that whinge about him on Internet forums.

I'm so-so on tubs (very unhappy with his Ronan love-in), but I save my great disdain for all of the keyboard warriors who think After Hours is a place to vent their spleen on the villain of the week. Nepotism? Possibly, but until it's proven in a court case nothing you say is going to change that statement into anything but unfounded conjecture that does nothing except slander his name.

I look forward to the day when whinging is banned. STFU, please. Put your name dOwn for Ranting and Raving and bring it in there. Please.

Whatever about Tubs, I just want the keyboard toddlers to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

jimmynokia wrote: »
    regardless what he gets he does not deliver.so he is costing us money and RTE

The Late Late pulls in around 800,000 - 900,000 viewers each week. How the hell do you consider that "not delivering"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

I'm so-so on tubs (very unhappy with his Ronan love-in), but I save my great disdain for all of the keyboard warriors who think After Hours is a place to vent their spleen on the villain of the week. Nepotism? Possibly, but until it's proven in a court case nothing you say is going to change that statement into anything but unfounded conjecture that does nothing except slander his name.

I look forward to the day when whinging is banned. STFU, please. Put your name dOwn for Ranting and Raving and bring it in there. Please.

We'll not all whinging, FFS. I gave my reasons for not liking him. I think they are good ones. What do you class as whinging? Are you honestly telling me you've never spoke against anyone on a forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

This begrudgery thing is bullshít. Im sure there are people who do begrudge him his fat salary but If most people on boards are off the same view as me, its singularly to do with his ineptness, rather than his earnings.

Jonathan Ross earned multiples of what Tubbs does when he was hosting the chatshow on BBC and I fúckin loved the guy... (as a presenter!) He was born to do light entertainment. Ive never seen another interviewer do so well walking the tightrope of whats appropriate and whats going too far when it comes to self important celebrities.

Tubridy's problem is he doesnt have the skill and gravitas to do heavy stuff well, and he doesnt really carry off the light stuff too well either. Pat Kenny is a political animal and is great at that, Gerry Ryan was great at the fluff and often had a real interest in the people he was interviewing, even if by many people's standards they were pretty inane. Tubridy doesnt really stack up well in either camp and just comes across as a lazy, patronising twerp who has big opinions of himself.

Agricola wrote: »
    Jonathan Ross earned multiples of what Tubbs does when he was hosting the chatshow on BBC and I had fúckin loved the guy... (as a presenter) He was born to do light entertainment. Ive never seen another interviewer do so well walking the tightrope of whats appropriate and whats going too far when it comes to self important celebrities.

I love him too. :o Totally agree!

*heads over the 'Weird Crushes' thread*
    Tubridy's problem is he doesnt have the skill and gravitas to do heavy stuff well, and he doesnt really carry off the light stuff too well either. Pat Kenny is a political animal and is great at that, Gerry Ryan was great at the fluff and often had a real interest in the people he was interviewing, even if by many people's standards they were pretty inane. Tubridy doesnt really stack up well in either camp and just comes across as a lazy, patronising twerp who has big opinions of himself.

Agree completely. Spot on. Post of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

danh789 wrote: »
    Oh FFS, here we go again. My TV licence fee rabble rabble. Yes because RTE's only source of income is the TV licence. Advertising and the likes would in no way contribute to a presenters wages. And tell me this. If you are so concerned about the licence fee; how much of it actually goes to Tubs? Seriously, if everyone in the country who pays the fee used that line for every single person on the RTE payroll, well then Im sorry mate but only a few cents of your licence fee is actually gong into Tubridys pockets.

Would RTE be able to sustain the lavish salaries offered to him or the other presenters if it were not for the license fees.. and if so, then why the hell are they receiving state funding in the first place? When the day comes that it as a company can stand on its own two legs then you'll have a valid argument regarding other people's criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

There's an equally small audience that whinge about him on Internet forums.

This a forum where people come to talk and give their views so get used to it, if you dont like it dont comment and dont visit the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Do you indeed!:eek: Define whinging by the way.
    Valid critcism is not whinging. Using terms like STFU is not endearing by the way.

Well, at least we're getting to the nitty gritty reasons why, instead of the rest of the BS....

I reckon the thing with Tubs is he really speaks to a *certain* demographic (book-reading politically savvy lounge-music-&-black-and-white-movie-loving nerds professionals and 30-something mothers?). He hasn't the common appeal that Gay had back in the day. Pat didn't have it either (how many times has the word "plank" been used?).

I have to say, he was perfect for the Toy Show in my opinion. If he goes abroad, he'll make a good name for himself. He hasn't an ounce of "I made the BBC" about him.

Apart from Gay, is there such thing as a talk show host that isn't vocally complained about? Are Dave Letterman, Jay Leno, Conan O Brien, Graham Norton, Micheal Parkinson universally liked? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

well all this really proves we must not like the brits one little bit !

are we going to ring them half a hour before his cloud lands ,
    give the kerry gold password and sign off a p o niell while laughing our asses off :D

eight million years of oppressionism granted - but ****ing tubbs ???
    bit harsh is it not ?

• Advertisement

The Late Late pulls in around 800,000 - 900,000 viewers each week. How the hell do you consider that "not delivering"?

Fair city does that 3 nights a week each night, it dont make tubridy the king of tv one night a week
    if this show was on 3 nights a week it would not hold them figures,the majority of the LLS are the elder generation and he cant deliver to the current generation or past he lacks the ability to connect with people,he only speaks of his own interest (illness,twitter,books,jfk,willy wonka,and obama and all things american)

At the end of the day his radio show has failed,the LLS show slowly dwindling out to lets be honest tubs has FAIL written all over him and he is running away.

I reckon the thing with Tubs is he really speaks to a *certain* demographic (book-reading politically savvy lounge-music-&-black-and-white-movie-loving nerds professionals and 30-something mothers?). He hasn't the common appeal that Gay had back in the day. Pat didn't have it either (how many times has the word "plank" been used?).

I don't agree. He comes across as too middle-of-the-road and unoriginal to appeal to many people in that group. I think he wants to appeal to them, but I don't think it's working for him. Gay didn't just have common appeal, he was a really excellent interviewer. Pat can't do light entertainment, agreed, but he is accomplished at the more serious stuff.

Apart from Gay, is there such thing as a talk show host that isn't vocally complained about? Are Dave Letterman, Jay Leno, Conan O Brien, Graham Norton, Micheal Parkinson universally liked? I don't think so.

Interesting you brought up those American lads. To me, Tubbers always seems to be wanting to emulate those blue-chip American talkshow hosts, but he just doesn't have their wit or intelligence. Tubs, write four classic episodes of the Simpsons, then come back to me. :cool:

Signed,

Conan O'Brien's biggest fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I see there's quite a bit of "I like him, therefore anyone who dislikes him is jealous/a begrudger/moaning c*nt" on this thread.

Some folks love not putting thought into things. Do you guys not dislike anyone well known?

Personally, I think he's mediocre - not terrible, but certainly not great.

Fair city does that 3 nights a week each night, it dont make tubridy the king of tv one night a week
    if this show was on 3 nights a week it would not hold them figures,the majority of the LLS are the elder generation and he cant deliver to the current generation

At the end of the day his radio show has failed,the LLS show slowly dwindling out to lets be honest tubs has FAIL written all over him and he is running away.

You think.

Remember it's an opinion not established fact.

Like I said, he's good to a certain demographic, but not to a broader appeal. I think it's a nerd thing personally. I reckon people who were feeble nerds at school don't mind tubs, people who picked on & laughed at feeble nerds are more likely to hate tubs.

He's a feeble nerd. Feeble nerds like him, the rest react to him as they reacted to feeble nerds at school.

Edit:

Dudess, I've nothing against the reasoned nitty gritty discussion that's gone on, it's the unfounded "gud riddanz dat overpaid waste of liessense munny I pay only got his job cuz his da was dere"

I make a point that Whether someone is well known or not has absolutely no bearing on my opinion on him/her

I remember his radio show got on the subject of favourite books, and the phonelines, emails and tweets about it *exploded*

How many of the wider Irish Public are avid regular bookreaders? And I don't mean one of Jordan's "auto"biographies, actual insightful books?

How many more are *not* into books? Not actively hating them, but never want to or think of reading them?

Fago! wrote: »
    How is he making a bags of it? He's pulling in listeners/viewers (I think, I stand to be corrected)

I don't mind people criticizing people, but when they give no good reason for slagging them, it annoys me. for instance, you just gave your reasons for disliking him. Fair play. That's a hell of alot more than some people are doing. "ahh **** him get him off the radio..overpaid twat"

"ahh **** him get him off the radio..overpaid twat

whats wrong with that its the truth.

You think.

Like I said, he's good to a certain demographic, but not to a broader appeal. I think it's a nerd thing personally. I reckon people who were feeble nerds at school don't mind tubs, people who picked on & laughed at feeble nerds are more likely to hate tubs.

He's a feeble nerd. Feeble nerds like him, the rest react to him as they reacted to feeble nerds at school.

well i will agree on that one alright.he is a SUPERNERD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

I wonder would they take Ryle Nuggent aswell by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Oh FFS, here we go again. My TV licence fee rabble rabble. Yes because RTE's only source of income is the TV licence. Advertising and the likes would in no way contribute to a presenters wages. And tell me this. If you are so concerned about the licence fee; how much of it actually goes to Tubs? Seriously, if everyone in the country who pays the fee used that line for every single person on the RTE payroll, well then Im sorry mate but only a few cents of your licence fee is actually gong into Tubridys pockets.

Half of RTE's overall budget comes from the Licence fee, advertising revenue has falling by. over a 1/3 since 2007. RTE is set to lose around 25 million euro this year and might have to lay off up to 250 people. 2fm made a 1.67 million loss last year and Tubridy lost nearly 1/3 of the audience from the stations most valuable time slot. Yet RTE see fit to pay Tubridy 533,000 euro a year - doesn't quite add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Rubik. wrote: »
    Half of RTE's overall budget comes from the Licence fee, advertising revenue has falling by. over a 1/3 since 2007. RTE is set to lose around 25 million euro this year and might have to lay off up to 250 people. 2fm made a 1.67 million loss last year and Tubridy lost nearly 1/3 of the audience from the stations most valuable time slot. Yet RTE see fit to pay Tubridy 533,000 euro a year - doesn't quite add up.

All those losses are compared to peak rip off ireland times , if thats the case then ive lost about 70% of my earnings since 2007.

Its not as if they are scraping by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

You think.

Edit:

Dudess, I've nothing against the reasoned nitty gritty discussion that's gone on, it's the unfounded "gud riddanz dat overpaid waste of liessense munny I pay only got his job cuz his da was dere"

I make a point that Whether someone is well known or not has absolutely no bearing on my opinion on him/her

I remember his radio show got on the subject of favourite books, and the phonelines, emails and tweets about it *exploded*

How many of the wider Irish Public are avid regular bookreaders? And I don't mean one of Jordan's "auto"biographies, actual insightful books?

How many more are *not* into books? Not actively hating them, but never want to or think of reading them?

You are a bit up yourself aren't you.You are implying that many of those critical of Tubridy are witless philistines who can't spell. I'm not surprised you like Tubridy,you sound like him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

theboss80 wrote: »
    All those losses are compared to peak rip off ireland times , if thats the case then ive lost about 70% of my earnings since 2007.

Not really, they are going to have a budget deficit this year i.e they are spending 25 million more than the are taking in. It was 68 million in 2009, I'm not sure what it was last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I reckon people who were feeble nerds at school don't mind tubs, people who picked on & laughed at feeble nerds are more likely to hate tubs.

So people who don't like him are/were bullies.
    Jaysus I didn't expect the bully card to be played so early.

Any chance of an ould racism one......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Cop

For anyone still in doubt about the need to rid the nation of Tubby, please listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkp5h5QVv7o&feature=player_embedded

Still think we're all begrudgers?

Cop wrote: »
    [/URL]

Jesus Christ.
    Yep, there's the intellectual.....

Oh yeah, the feeble nerd / intellectual schtick, is just that... a schtick. Id imagine bonafide nerds wouldnt like to think old Tubbers was in their league.

Would a worldly, bookish intellectual try to make a joke out of Richard Dawkin's Atheism? Im pretty sure it was that interview that outed Tubridy for the lightweight circus master that he really is.

Also, geeks dont get burds like this! :D

For anyone still in doubt about the need to rid the nation of Tubby, please listen to this:

OMGOMGOMG he warbles off for 50 seconds of his hours and hours of radio!!!!!! Drag him onto the streets and give him the lynching he so richly deserves!!!!!!!!! Grab your torches!!!!! And pitchforks!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What's a shtick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

He (Tubridy, aka the pez dispenser) has said, if he goes, it won't be today or tomorrow; I'm hopin' maybe the next day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Holy sweet baby Jesus. I mean, I never liked Tubridy and his attempt at wit and intelligence. But that's one of the worst pieces of radio I've ever heard. Whoever put the Partridge picture with the audio hit the nail right between the eyes. Fucking hell.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Holy sweet baby Jesus. I mean, I never liked Tubridy and his attempt at wit and intelligence. But that's one of the worst pieces of radio I've ever heard. Whoever put the Partridge picture with the audio hit the nail right between the eyes. Fucking hell.

It's just the way he keeps blabbering on. If he wants to be witty, it has to be snappy and well-timed.

• Advertisement

True dat.

Oh yeah, the feeble nerd / intellectual schtick, is just that... a schtick. Id imagine bonafide nerds wouldnt like to think old Tubbers was in their league.

Would a worldly, bookish intellectual try to make a joke out of Richard Dawkin's Atheism? Im pretty sure it was that interview that outed Tubridy for the lightweight circus master that he really is.

Not to drag the militant A&A folk into this, but Dawkins isn't a universally liked figure by any stretch of the imagination.

As for no birds for nerds? You haven't been to a boards beers then...,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,099 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

well I listen to Tubridy, he is more interesting to listen to, a lot better then Darcy and that dopey farrell, they wreck my head. I'd say BBC see him as the new Henry Kelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I like Tubridy.

Guess that makes me uncool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

well I listen to Tubridy, he is more interesting to listen to, a lot better then Darcy and that dopey farrell, they wreck my head. I'd say BBC see him as the new Henry Kelly

Well they're really going for gold by hiring him in that case.

What's a shtick?

Like a stick, but used only in Mayo.
    Not to drag the militant A&A folk into this, but Dawkins isn't a universally liked figure by any stretch of the imagination.

As for no birds for nerds? You haven't been to a boards beers then...,,

Whether or not hes universally liked is hardly the issue. Is it not Tubs responsibility to give the man an honest, impartial interview? Seems to me he will listen to religious fanatics and babbling visionaries all day but thinks an oxford don is just having a laugh!

BTW, of course nerds have birds. But they are more like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,716 ✭✭✭✭walshb

:) Yes finally we have got rid of him, he is off to cover for Jon Ross for the summer season.

The Beeb, the standard setter for broadcasting all over the world, have really scraped the barrel here. Tubridy is a crutch.

walshb wrote: »
    The Beeb, the standard setter for broadcasting all over the world, have really scraped the barrel here. Tubridy is a crutch.

They used to be the standard setter but have been going downhill ever since they moved the evening news to the 10 o'clock slot.

walshb wrote: »

This from a guy who thinks the Daily Mail is a quality newspaper that tells the truth :rolleyes:

(only messing)

A senior RTE source told the Herald today that the situation has become a running joke in Montrose.
    "Here's a guy who gets a fortune every year from RTE, and we don't even own his rights," said the insider.

Cue a payrise for exclusivity.
    Cue license payer getting rode again.
    Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Fack off Tubridy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

orourkeda wrote: »
    Fack off Tubridy
    ....you caaaaaaaaaaaaant!

tubs in the irish sun today and you can bet he will be in the sunday world tomor

tubs in the sunday world admits he has big shoes to fill
    sure he can fill any shoe here.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Kernel wrote: »
    I like Tubridy.

Guess that makes me uncool.

No, that makes you his mother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

What it does is dispel the myth that you cant buy love.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Diving Board

I heard a couple of years ago that both the BBC and NBC were interested in signing him. NBC's talent scout apparently thought he was one of the best chat show hosts he had ever seen.
    yes right, he sucks the life from any interview and his poor technique means he relies on his stock of "do you have any Irish connections with a name like that" or "how did you feel when you looked into your dying childs eyes" questions.

lets have a say on his behalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

I heard a couple of years ago that both the BBC and NBC were interested in signing him. NBC's talent scout apparently thought he was one of the best chat show hosts he had ever seen.

This might be the most depressing thing I've ever read.

He can't do light-hearted well.
    He can't do serious well.
    He's not particularly witty.

What was that talent scout smoking and can I have some so that it makes Tubs seem somehow bearable?

He is off to the BBC again.
    Ryan Tubridy is heading back to @BBCRadio2 as a stand-in for @achrisevans: jrnl.to/Jmb3tm

• Advertisement
Advertisement