Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Alarm System

Options
  • 14-04-2011 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

New to boards.ie. I have an Eircom phonewatch wireless monitored alarm system in my house at the moment. Am cutting down on costs and am wondering if I changed to another company could they use the same sensors, operation box on the wall etc. I am not worried about going monitored again but could anyone suggest a reasonably priced system where I could be alerted on my mobile if the alarm goes off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Any company should be able to take over the system for you.
    What you could do is upgrade the panel and external bell and keep all your phonewatch sensors and contacts. The new panel would give you text and remote control of the alarm etc

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

Thanks a mil for that advice. Will make a few enquiries so. Tisserand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Tisserand wrote: »
    New to boards.ie. I have an Eircom phonewatch wireless monitored alarm system in my house at the moment. Am cutting down on costs and am wondering if I changed to another company could they use the same sensors, operation box on the wall etc. I am not worried about going monitored again but could anyone suggest a reasonably priced system where I could be alerted on my mobile if the alarm goes off?

Depending on the system you have installed it could be changed to ring your phone rather than the monitoring station. This would cut out the expense of paying the monitoring plus changing the panel. If you let us know what panel it is we will let you know if this suits your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Sorry to Hijack this thread.. But can anyone recommend a decent wireless system.. Unmonitored.. but maybe something that i can expand with a gsm dialer..

Thanks..

Sorry to Hijack this thread.. But can anyone recommend a decent wireless system.. Unmonitored.. but maybe something that i can expand with a gsm dialer..

Thanks..

The Powermax Express would be a good unit to use, it has a built in GSM. Which works out cheaper. 28 wire free zones.

• Advertisement

Thanks Altor,

The model no. on the panel is 60-911-010-4-IE. Apart from that, it is hard to describe the panel. Would be very grateful if you could offer me some guidance on this! Tisserand.

Thanks Altor,

The model no. on the panel is 60-911-010-4-IE. Apart from that, it is hard to describe the panel. Would be very grateful if you could offer me some guidance on this! Tisserand.

That is a Simon alarm, here is a link to the user manual.
    Have you got the paper work off the alarm from P.W ? If so this can be set up to ring your phone to give you a detailed descriptions of any alarm activations.

P.S. Meant to ask this already and may sound like a stupid question. But if I change to a security system that can text my mobile, do I have to have a landline. Was thinking of getting the landline disconnected as I can't afford it. Thanks, Tisserand.

P.S. Meant to ask this already and may sound like a stupid question. But if I change to a security system that can text my mobile, do I have to have a landline. Was thinking of getting the landline disconnected as I can't afford it. Thanks, Tisserand.

Yes.

Thanks Altor. Thought as much. Appreciate you guiding me on this maater.
    Tisserand

• Advertisement

Thanks Altor. Thought as much. Appreciate you guiding me on this maater.
    Tisserand

Your welcome, always happy to help if I can.
    You could use a GSM to get the voice message from the panel when the alarm activates. I would not recommend upgrading this panel to use the older sensors as they use the 433 frequency. The newer alarm systems on the market use the security 868 frequency for there devices.

Thanks Altor. Now you will need to enlighted me as to what GSM is! A bit behind on the technology front I'm afraid! T

Thanks Altor. Now you will need to enlighted me as to what GSM is! A bit behind on the technology front I'm afraid! T

A GSM uses a sim card and acts as an analog line to connect to your alarm to contact you on your phone. It can be blocked using a GSM blocker so be warned. Any other question let us know.

Thanks a lot. T

Thanks a lot. T

Your welcome, any more questions let us know :D

Advertisement