Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neptune beach leisure centre closed

Options
  • 13-04-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Apparently it's closed down. Anyone else hear anything? Gutted if true :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

The only thing I saw in relation to it was a facebook comment from the gym that I'm in, offering 100 days membership to neptune members at a special rate....it seemed a strange thing to do until I read your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Neptunemember

Its gone, the company has decided to close its doors and run with the money. What really makes me mad is that they lease the neptune bar under another biz name. That biz is profitable so basicly they have done a runner with our hard earned cash.

Nice people, they didnt even so much as pick up a phone to say it was closing. I have done some checking on the cro website, the neptune was beingn run by a company called beach view fitness ltd, cro lists the directors addresses and names, they live locally. Search on the cro website for details. I ve lost a good few hundred thanks to them and i am sure there is more than me.

Might have to call joe duffy, this is irish greed at its best, shutdown 1 company thats making a loss while you have another company in profit that cant be touched for compensation.

The neptune in bettystown closed yesterday morning, i would like this thread to be a support line to the members who after paying money have been locked out.

The biz name the neptune trades under is beachview fitness ltd and the directors details are available via the cro.ie website. I have checked and they all live local and get this they also run the neptune bar under another ltd company name, this biz is profitable while members suffer without money.

Please post here if you are a member to see what we can do has a collective.

Please forgive the cross posting only the gym is better known as the neptune beach leisure centre

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

It's seems to be a really strange coincidence that they take direct debits out on the 12th of every month and then decided to close it on the 13th April! Maybe I'm being out of order but that's ripping off paying customers, that's what greed does!

Surely the staff members were aware of what was happening, and could have given us some sort of warning about it, I'm really disappointed about that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Surely the staff members were aware of what was happening, and could have given us some sort of warning about it, I'm really disappointed about that too.

Mostly in these situations the staff will be the last to know - literally at closing time on the night when the receivers are taking over (arrive in, take keys, change locks, empty the till, etc.). I don't know this is the case at Neptune but typically on the basis of other high profile closures reported on the airways, this is what happens.

Sorry for everyone out of pocket and the staff who at this stage have no employment to go to. I hope things get better sooner than later.

We noticed the other day when we went down the manager looked distracted and there were people we didn't recognise behind the counter with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

gipi wrote: »
    The only thing I saw in relation to it was a facebook comment from the gym that I'm in, offering 100 days membership to neptune members at a special rate....it seemed a strange thing to do until I read your post.

Can you let me know what gym this is, please?

Its SouthGate fitness on the Dublin road

Can you let me know what gym this is, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mannie mcloughlin

These people knew what they were doing ripping off innocent people .
    all the members should get together and let the people of bettystown know the kind of people they are supporting when they drink in the neptune bar CON ARTISTS under another biz name. That biz is profitable so basicly they have done a runner with our hard earned cash.

Nice people, they didnt even so much as pick up a phone to say it was closing. I have done some checking on the cro website, the neptune was beingn run by a company called beach view fitness ltd, cro lists the directors addresses and names, they live locally. Search on the cro website for details. I ve lost a good few hundred thanks to them and i am sure there is more than me.

Might have to call joe duffy, this is irish greed at its best, shutdown 1 company thats making a loss while you have another company in profit that cant be touched for compensation.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

I am going to mention the names of the directors and their office because this information is freely open the public.

Seaview fitness ltd
    The directors names are Daniel Hughes, David Malone, and Kieron Malone and the company office address is 24 castlemartin ave, bettystown

I hope they will come online to explain the vague notice that was left on the door which states "FORCED TO CLOSE" and they hope to get the doors open soon,, yeah right.. I won't hold my breathe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 davehart

I live around the corner from that address and there is no sign of life there at the moment. They seem to be in hiding. All members need to arrange to meet up in order to form a plan of action backed by everyone to try and get our money back. My fiance and me are out nearly €700 over this and i intend on getting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Chances of you getting money back are about 0-1% I know people who paid big sums of money on other recreation type things and they were basically told not a hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blue tit

Please support new owners when time comes,they will reward loyal members in due course. Beware off other gyms offering deals, part of the problem.

I am sorry to hear that Dave, i feel your frustrations, I am out about the same euro. A closer look at the accounts show both 24 and 25 castlemartin ave are listed.

The public accounts list the addresses has

<SNIP> WE 'D PREFER TO KEEP PEOPLE'S ADDRESSES OFF THE SITE

Daniel Hughes
    Dave Malone
    Malone

Still trying to get answers. What will happen next is liquidators will be appointed to sell off company assets, however all of the equipment pool stuff and gym equipment belongs to the landlord and not the business, this is why we can never trust the next company to lease it out because they can start the biz with just a few quid and can walk away with no major debt. We have been royally screwed, the director of seaview fitness ltd rents the bar at the front of the Neptune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hitman38

Hi

I have heard from a very reliable source that the people who ran the gym in bettystown are going to compensate all members who paid yearly memberships!

hitman38 wrote: »
    Hi

I have heard from a very reliable source that the people who ran the gym in bettystown are going to compensate all members who paid yearly memberships!

I'd hope so but I doubt it, all their actions and lack of actions point to not caring about the members who scraped together money to join. They would have notified members in advance. When you run a business you can tell months in advance if you have to close at some point. I would believe that if a notice on the door would give members more information and talk about a meeting venue for members

From what I know of Liquidation processes, you have to be very carefull in what you say or do. I know members are at the bottom of the pile when it comes to a list of creditors so "USUALLY" members dont get paid! ALA Total Fitness.

However I do believe this wont be the case here. I would imagine the directors are moving to get the liquidation meeting out of the way, and as such cannot be seen to be prefering creditors in any way!

I "WOULD" imagine that members will be looked after as soon as such meeting is over.

I also just found out that they stopped taking memberships in late March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Meathborn

You could not expect anything else to happen in view of the thugs you were dealing with folks.

MeathBorn you are talking about guys who employ from 25-30 people, depending on the season? People who look after mortgages and families thanks to those jobs, guys who have unblemished records and are in very good standing with local gardai? Yes a business failed, businesses fail every day, are all business owners who are "FORCED" to close down to be deemed THUGS? I wonder could you say the same thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

blue tit wrote: »
    Please support new owners when time comes,they will reward loyal members in due course. Beware off other gyms offering deals, part of the problem.
    Welcome to the boards Blue Tit, how do you know what the new owners are planning to to? Inside track have we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Seems some people here have an inside track, reading between the lines, and if those above really know, it appears that the gym may reopen, I checked CRO and the company is not in liquidation. The gym is a good local resource and was well managed by all accounts. Lets hope someone reopens it and looks after the existing members.

I've heard other members say they paid for membership in march.. People would have known something was wrong if they weren't accepting members.. Businesses fail all the time however i have respect for business owners who notify customers

In my case I am not mad about the money I've lost which I paid for a couple membership, so a good few hundred euro but it's the fact that we, the members were deceived.. I heard some of the equipment has ended up at another gym already.. Why can't people just be responsible and say things didn't work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Neptune Fraudsters

Hi Everybody

Just to let everyone know that we have discussed with Joe about doing classes in another venue. He has organised to have a class in the New Dance Studio in Bettystown located besdie Mr Suds between 6:00 to 7:00 on a Monday evening.

The charge for this will be €7.00. He is investigating wether other times or venues are available to hold further classes.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME!!!PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!!

TIME: 6 TO 7

PRICE: €7

:):):):):):):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Neptune Fraudsters

This week the neptune gym closed its doors. The notice placed on the door of the facility was vague and not informative at all, the notice was almost like a "gone to lunch" sign. There were still memebers turning up at the gym all week who had no idea that the place was closed. These are obviously difficult times for business but that is no excuse to have no consideration for the memebers by not having any due consideration for the impact on peoples lives and pockets!!! This gym was a community of people and many members used this as a social outlet. So lives have been effected by this closure. The audacity of these so called "business men" (frudsters) to go into peoples bank accounts and take out direct debits on tuesday and then to close the gym on wednesday is an absolute disgrace and could be considered fraud. The people who paid with cash have basicly had the money taken from there pockets and this is robbery. These local "business men" seem to forget that theyve "**** on there own doorstep" by this action and also that they are known in the local area. Do they not think that this will effect there two local busineeses????..in fact we are planning a rally/PROTEST outside one of these businesses to air our views on the situation. These lads need to be shown that "WE WILL NOT GO QUIETLY"!!!We also have connections to the local press so BEWARE...given that we know where these business men live, the protest may be extended to there homes so there neighbours and friends can see what there behavour has caused and the lives they have devestated...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Agreed... We need to get more attention on the situation maybe Joe Duffy or local press, we need more members to come online, the members are very fragmented because they don't know where to meet or talk. Maybe a notice on the paper or a story might mention this thread, or maybe we should set up a Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

ah i liked this gym, had to change cause it was too far to travel, but nice place, i wouldnt join a gym for more than 3 months at the moment cause there are 2 many of them in the drogheda area, id say it wont be the last surprise closure in the next few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Posoiden

The gym closed after months of negotiations between the landlord and tenant. The Tenants tried very hard to keep the gym open during these negotiations. The landlord would not agree new terms and conditions in light of the economic downturn and instigated legal action on the tenant. Due to this, the tenant had no other option but to close down the gym and go into liquidation. This was the last thing the tenants, staff, members and anyone else wanted.

After the gym closed, the tenant attempted at the last minute, to reopen by agreeing to the landlord’s outrageous demands. This was flatly refused again, and hence the gym remains closed.

I also know that if you read previous threads on this subject you will realize that they (the Directors) will not leave members (who are also friends and neighbours) high and dry, and that they are working steadfastly in the background to do anything and everything possible to address the issue of members paying yearly memberships up front within the last 6 months. This will not be the end of this issue I have been assured. Each member who has paid up front for 6 to 12 months will be phoned very soon.

Lets see what happens in a couple of weeks

Has you can imagine iam very skeptical.

If this is the case why don't the owners set up a Facebook page or use twitter to get the message out there, if I were them I'd be making announcements all over the place, my hubby ran a gym years ago which had a similar situation with a landlord and the 1st thing they did was talk to the papers to make sure everyone was informed of their side of the story. All we know is what a vague notice told us "gym forced to close"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Posoiden wrote: »
    The gym closed after months of negotiations between the landlord and tenant. The Tenants tried very hard to keep the gym open during these negotiations. The landlord would not agree new terms and conditions in light of the economic downturn and instigated legal action on the tenant. Due to this, the tenant had no other option but to close down the gym and go into liquidation. This was the last thing the tenants, staff, members and anyone else wanted.

After the gym closed, the tenant attempted at the last minute, to reopen by agreeing to the landlord’s outrageous demands. This was flatly refused again, and hence the gym remains closed.

I also know that if you read previous threads on this subject you will realize that they (the Directors) will not leave members (who are also friends and neighbours) high and dry, and that they are working steadfastly in the background to do anything and everything possible to address the issue of members paying yearly memberships up front within the last 6 months. This will not be the end of this issue I have been assured. Each member who has paid up front for 6 to 12 months will be phoned very soon.

Lets see what happens in a couple of weeks

If what you say is true, why take that final direct debit - thats the worst bit of it all in my opinion. If it goes into liquidation, members will get nothing.
    owners always say they will reimburse members when gyms close until the anger dies down. Members never get money back as they are unsecured creditors.

Advertisement