Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neptune beach leisure centre closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭oceanfish2008

I've been a member of the Neptune since it opened. It has deteriorated over the years. I only realised how badly until I visited other gyms over the last number of days.

Aside from how the group running it at the moment have behaved, the landlords could have at least shown members the courtesy of contacting them to explain matters.

I am now joining the Boyne Valley gym. It appears professionally run (eg the showers and jacuzzi work) and I will be encouraging as many members as I know to join. The Boyne Valley may or may not stay open in the medium to long term but at least its open NOW. (I'll be paying monthly too), paying up front for the year to any gym is crazy in this climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blue tit

If what you say is true, why take that final direct debit - thats the worst bit of it all in my opinion. If it goes into liquidation, members will get nothing.
    owners always say they will reimburse members when gyms close until the anger dies down. Members never get money back as they are unsecured creditors.
    Excuses.....................Get liquidating so the new owners can give the members back what was the finest gym on the east coast.

blue tit wrote: »
    Excuses.....................Get liquidating so the new owners can give the members back what was the finest gym on the east coast.

Unfortunately the keyword in the above statement is 'Was'

blue tit wrote: »
    Please support new owners when time comes,they will reward loyal members in due course. Beware off other gyms offering deals, part of the problem.

What makes you think new owners will run it better? If the business is not sustainable now what makes you think it will be with new owners? Where will they get new members from? There is a recession on in case you haven't noticed

Why should I be loyal? What loyalty did the landlords show when they leased the centre out to people who couldn't run it properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 boyne98

if you look on www.businessbarometer.ie , click in insolvency notices on the right hand side, then to appoint a liquidator it brings up beachview fitness ltd. it says there is a creditors meeting on 26/4/11. all members are creditors and should be invited to this meeting. if, as this comment states the directors intend to look after the members, maybe they can bring their cheque book!!! this is the tuesday after easter monday - maybe they are hopeing no one will turn up!!! i agree with blue tit - if well meaning why did the directors take a direct debit just before closing - this had nothing to do with landlord or rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hitman38

just a quick one, if they bring their checkbook, the members will be the last people to get paid??????? Members are at the bottom of the pile???????? what ever money is left in the company will go to every other creditor before the members are even considered.....

Jeeze do I have to spell it out........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Neptunemember

The company has no assets to liquidate, they sold the equipment that they owned after closing, obviously for cash. Right into their pockets.

if you go to www.businessbarometer.ie and click on insolvency notice, then appoint liquidator - beachview fitness ltd is listed. it says there is a meeting of creditors on 26/4/2011. members are creditors and should be invited to this meeting. if as stated here that the members will be looked after maybe the directors will be there with their cheque book?? the worse thing is these directors took a direct debit before closing the doors!!! says it all............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 legend25

Hi Guys I can reassure you that the Neptune Leisure Club is re-opening and that the New Owners are fully committed to looking after and protecting existing members and new members.This I heard will be happening very shortly and I for sure as an existing Neptune member intend hanging around to ensure that I get my moneys worth after paying up front so I suggest to any members to hold on for the moment and see what these new guys are planning to do.Maybe its a good thing because as far as I understand when a business shuts it stays shut but if there is an opportunity of it re-opening(which I heard from a very good source that it is) there is a very strong chance that we will be protected in some shape or form. Cheers Legend 25

davehart wrote: »
    I live around the corner from that address and there is no sign of life there at the moment. They seem to be in hiding. All members need to arrange to meet up in order to form a plan of action backed by everyone to try and get our money back. My fiance and me are out nearly €700 over this and i intend on getting it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 legend25

As far as I am concerned......THAT IS BULL.You dont take clients direct debit and then leg it.....Come On!!
    If what you say is true, why take that final direct debit - thats the worst bit of it all in my opinion. If it goes into liquidation, members will get nothing.
    owners always say they will reimburse members when gyms close until the anger dies down. Members never get money back as they are unsecured creditors.

• Advertisement

legend25 wrote: »
    Hi Guys I can reassure you that the Neptune Leisure Club is re-opening and that the New Owners are fully committed to looking after and protecting existing members and new members.This I heard will be happening very shortly and I for sure as an existing Neptune member intend hanging around to ensure that I get my moneys worth after paying up front so I suggest to any members to hold on for the moment and see what these new guys are planning to do.Maybe its a good thing because as far as I understand when a business shuts it stays shut but if there is an opportunity of it re-opening(which I heard from a very good source that it is) there is a very strong chance that we will be protected in some shape or form. Cheers Legend 25

I reiterate what I said in a previous post:

If the old owners couldnt run it what evidence is their to suggest that new owners will be capable of running it at a profit.

People are already joining other gyms, which makes the situation even worse. You can't get members from thin air. Considering the state the place is in any prospective owner would be out of their minds to contemplete getting on board.

Instead of faceless people coming onto boards making vague claims about new owners, loyalty, looking after existing members etc I would suggest that the landlords show some common courtesy and contact members to reassure them.

Considering the landlords wanted to put in a multi-storey block of flats on the site during the 'Boom' they don't exactly have a great track record either

i don't know much about what anyone wanted to build during the boom years or landlords. but the tenants beachview fitness ltd took a direct a direct debit from everyones account and then shut their doors. this takes the biscuit - in fact the whole packet. maybe the three directors david malone, kieran malone and daniel hughes as listed on the companies register would be good enough to contact all members and explain this!!!!

there is a site called www.vision-net.ie where it states under meeting of creditors to appoint liquidator, that on 15/4/2011 notices were published in the national newspapers by the companies below - beachview fitness ltd. did anyone see these notices and in what newspapers??

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Lots of smoke and mirrors going on here. Lots of unanswered questions. I'd be interested to know what exactly does 'looking after and protecting new and existing members' mean ? Does that mean existing memberships will be honoured in full ? In previous gyms this happened to the most angry and vocal members, the daily bobybuilders etc. The manner in which it shut so abruptly will make people very cautious, so the new owners will find it hard to get annual fees in advance, Ans what about missing equipment, does that mean the last owners have no intention of reopening ? So who are the new owners ? When will they step from the smoke and reveal themselves ? What memberships will be honoured ? Or will it be a discount for current members to 'rejoin"? One way or the other let's hope it gets back on track quickly and all the members are properly looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

legend25 wrote: »

Legend25 can you give us an approximate date for the reopening of the gym? If not, then don't be putting up posts, raising peoples hopes.

That gym was a brilliant social outlet for it's regular members and a location second to none in my eyes, people are going to be really cautious about starting all over again in case the same thing happens again.

Me personally, if I knew it was going to reopen soon I would wait around six months to see how it's going before commiting to anything and in the meantime I'll be travelling a few extra miles to join a well established gym close to town with more impressive facilities that I never really knew about til last week!

And one more thing, if you're in the know about the gym reopening, why don't you arrange a public meeting to inform us of what has gone on and what the future holds for the gym!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bettystown runner

we need to arange a meeting maybe in the square on saturday evening just at the bus stop so these people know we mean buisness. we could inform the regs to the bar the sort of people they are supporting. does anybody agree? I know a member has been on to michael reade show on LMFM and they are looking for people to tell their story if you are available tomorrow morning between 9 and 11 to go on air please email show via the LMFM website and leave contact details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 high on life

A creditors meeting is being held in City North Hotel on Tues April 26th.
    Anyone who is owed money (or should I say robbed of their hard earned cash) from the Neptune Beach Leisure Club should attend this meeting.
    I am not sure of the time as yet but I will keep you up-dated.

Hi Everybody

Just to let everyone know that we have discussed with Joe about doing classes in another venue. He has organised to have a class in the New Dance Studio in Bettystown located besdie Mr Suds between 6:00 to 7:00 on a Monday evening.

The charge for this will be €7.00. He is investigating wether other times or venues are available to hold further classes.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME!!!PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!!

TIME: 6 TO 7

PRICE: €7

:):):):):):):):):):):)
    When I read the above "we have discussed with Joe" who are "we"????
    Are "we" the same cowboys who were the tenants of the Neptune Gym,? and if so why are members being charded to do classes when they have already paid membership?
    Please clarify this for me!!

I am still so angry every time I log on and read all the rubbish about blaming the landlord for the closure of the gym. What a load of rubbish!
    The landlord leased the premises to those three so called "businessmen", the management and staff in my opinion did a really good job in running the gym but the three boys failed to run it as a business.
    Dont point the blame at anyone for the closure of the Gym other than Ciaran Malone, Dave Malon and Daniel Hughes.
    If you were to believe the thread by Posoiden then I ask the following questions,
    1. Why were members and staff not notified about the closure in advance.
    2. Why have we not been contactd since the closure.
    3. Why were the direct debits done days befor the closure.
    4. Why were only staff and members seen on the day of the closure, there was no sigh of the three boys and no sign of them since.

I could go on forever!!!

You seem to know so much about the agreement between the landlord and the tenant that I can only assume you must be the tenant!
    You had a business to run and you run it into the ground, The landlord also had a business to run. What did you expect the landlord to do? Save you and allow his business to run to the groung?
    Get real, You had an agreement from the start with the landlord so you knew what you were getting into.
    If you really cared about the members and staff you would have been on the premises last Weds to face the music, not locking up on Tues night, sticking a notice on the door and running away.

• Advertisement

Be careful what you say on local radio, these guy are cornered and looking for excuses.It's wonderful to see such emotion. Within the next month or two we will all be in a more professional environment and the next owners now know what happens when you mess with "The Neptune Beach Members". THIS I KNOW!

Glad to hear the other gyms are only offering short term solutions (no matter how high they put posters on the front door of 'The Neptune Beach') our gym will be there long after they close their doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

You seem to know so much about the agreement between the landlord and the tenant that I can only assume you must be the tenant!
    You had a business to run and you run it into the ground, The landlord also had a business to run. What did you expect the landlord to do? Save you and allow his business to run to the groung?
    Get real, You had an agreement from the start with the landlord so you knew what you were getting into.
    If you really cared about the members and staff you would have been on the premises last Weds to face the music, not locking up on Tues night, sticking a notice on the door and running away.

What the he'll are you quoting me? Do you think I'm involved with this gym, because I'm not!
    I have lots of experience in gyms closing down and wanted to tell members what usually happens. Read my post again before you start abusing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

we need to arange a meeting maybe in the square on saturday evening just at the bus stop so these people know we mean buisness. we could inform the regs to the bar the sort of people they are supporting. does anybody agree? I know a member has been on to michael reade show on LMFM and they are looking for people to tell their story if you are available tomorrow morning between 9 and 11 to go on air please email show via the LMFM website and leave contact details

Brilliant just wasted 2 hours waiting to hear people talking about whats happened, thanks. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bettystown runner

i was told by a member that he contaced lmfm but could not go on air as he is at work at show time as i am and i'm sure most of you to, so i said i would put up a post on here [read the post as quoted above]in the hope someone who is at home at the time the show goes out might contact them and put over our point of view .
    so all i can say is i thought the post was clear - if anybody is available tomorrow or Thursday why not email the station and let the town and locals know what we are up against

by the way is anybody interested in putting in a show of strenght of numbers on saturday evening ??????

You're wasting your time, they'll be gone on holidays.They've got off fairly soft so far. See you all back in the gym soon :D

Important

Beachview fitness is in voluntary liquidation and there is a meeting of the creditors in the city north hotel on tuesday 26th april at 12pm. if you are owed money you are a creditor!! no doubt this date was choosen hopeing not many would turn up...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Neptune Castoff

I agree totally with one of the earlier posts, that the directors, Kieron Malone, Dave Malone and Daniel Hughes have got off very lightly. If what I'm lead to believe, they have not paid for, in a considerable time, their rent, rates, utility bills, service bills and even some ex members of staff were not fully paid. Not exactly the foundation for an ongoing business. Throw in the fact that they had pre-sold the gym equipment (delivered to another gym on the night of closure), cleaned out the direct debits on the day of closure, were taking memberships very close to closure. Another interesting piece of information is that the credit card machine 'was not working' for some time and members were being asked to pay in cash. It's obvious that these monies were not going into the business account. It could be construed that the above makes it look that the directors had a pre-meditated plan to defraud their creditors and their members out of their money whilst lining their own pockets. If it was a pre-meditated and intentional attempt to defraud, I think this becomes a criminal matter. If someone who is principled enough or someone who has lost enough money, were to go to the Garda, based on the above, they might be able to insist that the Garda investigate this situation. I would also imagine that the Liquidator might be interested in some of the above, particularly the removal of assets (if owned by the trading company). By the way, has anyone recieved one of these promised calls as yet ? Buying time for the issue to go away ? It's amazing to think that these individuals who live in our community, who operate the local Neptune Bar have defrauded their 'friends' and neighbours and don't seem to give a damn. I know some people are refusing to go into the bar now. Well done. These guys are probably not bothered at the moment with the summer trade warming up nicely, but maybe when the tourists go and they rely on the locals, maybe then it will hit them in their pockets. It would be nice to see these guys having something to worry about.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Neptune Castoff

I have just heard that Kieron Malone is on holidays !! Obviously, brushing up on his tan for his creditors meeting next Tuesday, assuming he turns up, that is ! I understand perfectly that he deserves this break. I hope he has enough spending money. Ooops, maybe we shouldn't go there ........ The drinks are on us, fellow "ripped off members" ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Neptunemember

There was a digger down at the neptune today tearing up the grass outside the gym and a lot of activity, anyone know what thats about.

We were definitely robbed by these people, there was a small article in the Drogheda independent that just stated everything that was on this thread already.

Advertisement