Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some confused questions on neutered dog & a pup

• 14-04-2011 1:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

A few confused questions here? I have a two year old Westie & a miniature Jack Russell bitch.

Is it normal for a neutered dog to still be engaging in sex? He is humping my 10 month old bitch? I had to separate them with the basin of cold water the first time, the bitch wasn't happy and was trying to bite & attack him. Milly wasn't able to get away by herself. I thought that if dogs were in coitus - spikes came out and they couldn't be separated. Is it because he is neutered that it was possible to seperate them. (Or am I getting mixed up with cats :confused:). The times since, coming out with the basin was enough for them to part.

Is there any chance the bitch could be in heat - I haven't seen any blood, but she is cleaning herself up - and is outside mostly during the day.

And she got out of me during the week (because of some builders) and was running around the road with a lurcher - I dread to think that anything happened between them.

EDIT: Sorry for confusing way of explaining, I am confused myself...

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

It's pretty normal yes, even though he isn't able to mate, his instincts will still tell him to do so when he smells a bitch in heat. I would reccommend that you get her spayed soon as well, there is a very high chance that she's in heat and you need to keep her away from intact males.

Cats have a barbed(or spiked) penis, whereas dogs have a swelling at the base of the penis often referred to as the knot. Once the dogs are knotted then there wont be any seperating them for some time but it shouldn't get that far when he's neutered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

A dog can still mount, hump and knot a bitch if he's neutered. He normally just won't have the urge to do it. However a bitch in heat can still bring out the urge in a neutered dog.

You need to book your bitch in to be speyed immediately. If she has gone into heat and you didn't notice, any time spent outide your property unsupervised is a virtual guarantee of getting knocked up if there's an intact dog anywhere in the area - and by 'the area' I'm talking kilometers here, not just your road and the road behind you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

As said above a neutered dog can still tie with a bitch in heat, but she obviously won't get pregnant. However, the fact that your bitch was outside with another dog, one who is much bigger than her, I would take her to the vet for the mismate injection immediately. If she did get pregnant from that lurcher she could be in serious trouble trying to give birth to pups that could be way too big for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Neutered males still have all of the equipment, just none of the little swimmers. Neutered males can still fully mate and get tied to a female but, because there is no ejaculation, there is no risk of pregnancy. Neutered/spayed males and females hump and mount all the time (if my guys are anything to go by!), it's nothing to worry about. If you are worried she may be in heat, she needs to be kept in and supervised when out at all times - males have an uncanny way of getting to a bitch in heat.

I would recommend you bring your bitch to see a vet asap - she's very small compared to a lurcher (or most other dogs) and if she has been mated with, it'll need to be dealt with sooner rather than later. Express your concerns, about her heat and the questionable mating and the vet will be able tell you what they think is the best option. If you are not going to breed your bitch, please get her spayed at the soonest possible time (usually half way between heats and your vet will be able to tell you about this too!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

yes its nothing at all to do with mating, it is to do with dominance, a dominant dog or bitch will do this to the other dogs in the pack to say they all belong to him/her, pup can even be seen engaging in this with stuffed animals so dont worry.

• Advertisement

yes its nothing at all to do with mating, it is to do with dominance, a dominant dog or bitch will do this to the other dogs in the pack to say they all belong to him/her, pup can even be seen engaging in this with stuffed animals so dont worry.

Sorry, but I think it is something to be worried about if there is a chance the bitch is in season and has mated with a big dog. Yes, you are right of course about dominance humping, but it sounds a though this is different.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I thought that if dogs were in coitus - spikes came out and they couldn't be separated. Is it because he is neutered that it was possible to seperate them. (Or am I getting mixed up with cats :confused:). The times since, coming out with the basin was enough for them to part.

I think she was saying they didnt get stuck together here and it was possible to seperate them if I am not wrong which means they were not mating.

I think she was saying they didnt get stuck together here and it was possible to seperate them if I am not wrong which means they were not mating.

Dogs don't actually have to stick together for the bitch to get pregnant, it is usually what happens, but isn't necessary:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,

What exactly are the benfits of neutering a male dog. Does it make them put on weight and reduces their hyperactivity and excitement when they can sense a female dog in the vicinity?

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,

What exactly are the benfits of neutering a male dog. Does it make them put on weight and reduces their hyperactivity and excitement when they can sense a female dog in the vicinity?

It can help prevent cancer, can help with aggression problems, stop them marking in your house, and stop them getting totally hyper if a bitch is in season in their vicinity. There is no reason at all why it should make them put on weight.

• Advertisement

What ISDW said is mostly, true but when my Pomeranian got the cut he did blow up like a balloon so I have to agree with people that say they put on weight, My opinion of Males getting neutered is the opposite to most on these boards so I will only say what I have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

AfaIk, the weight issue with neutering is related to metabolism. Unfuelled by raging hormones, an animal's metabolism can drop when neutered. This drop means they don't need as much food, and don't need food with the same calorie count. Owners don't realise and continue to overfeed.

So essentially neutering doesn't make animals fat - people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Thanks for all the replies.

I spoke to the Vet this evening - she really does seem to be pregnant I have to wait till Monday, as the injection has to be given two nights in a row. There seems to be a grey area between the injection & speying if the pregnancy is too far along.

Hopefully it will all be ok. It is going to be a long few days until Monday night.

Should I separate the two dogs just in case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Should I separate the two dogs just in case?

In case of what? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How can you tell if she is pregnant already of she only got out this week??:confused: Theres no way you can tell at this stage if she is actually pregnant.
    Do you know what day of her heat she was on when she got out?

Im also confused as to why you would separate your 2 dogs now, he is neutered so theres no reason to separate them.

Advertisement