Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Satellites being installed on side of houses?

• 14-04-2011 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Been reading/researching alot of FTA/feesat installation lately and couldnt help noticing a few things ...

Alot of satellites that seem to be FTA are being installed on the sides of houses, or above/below a bedroom window (anything except on the chimley)

So basically i'm just wondering. Is this the new standard (that satellites do no have to be on chimleys) or is it since alot of FTA kits are widely available that people, or inexperienced installers are putting them in various places?

Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

I don't think there ever was anything to say that satellite dishes had to go on "chimleys"(chimneys). Maybe I'm wrong

I'd actually say that putting a dish on the chimney is not the best idea, for a variety of reasons ie. health & safety, maintenance, repairs, cable routing into house.

I suppose it is possible that some dishes are just being "stuck" anywhere by inexperienced or DIY installers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Satellite dishes really shouldn't be put on chimneys unless you've no choice. They effectively act like a big sail and can cause damage. Also you leave the dish itself more exposed to the elements so it's more likely to be blown out of alignment, rust etc. Most installers, especially sky subbies, won't to go up onto roofs anymore for health and safety reasons.

There's really no reason to put them on the chimney. The dish will work perfectly fine on the ground even - once it has a clear line of sight to the satellite position in the sky it can be placed anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

I don't think there ever was anything to say that satellite dishes had to go on "chimleys"(chimneys). Maybe I'm wrong

I'd actually say that putting a dish on the chimney is not the best idea, for a variety of reasons ie. health & safety, maintenance, repairs, cable routing into house.

I suppose it is possible that some dishes are just being "stuck" anywhere by inexperienced or DIY installers.

Also the fact that technically would need planning permission as it would be higher that the roof.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#partii
    1. Not more than one such antenna shall be erected on, or within the curtilage of a house.

2. The diameter of any such antenna shall not exceed 1 metre.

3. No such antenna shall be erected on, or forward of, the front wall of the house.

4. No such antenna shall be erected on the front roof slope of the house or higher than the highest part of the roof of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Cork City Council guidelines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Joe7

whatsamsn wrote: »
    ....Alot of satellites that seem to be FTA are being installed on the sides of houses, or above/below a bedroom window (anything except on the chimley)

Chimley? Why is a 6 year old worried about the siting of sat. dishes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

FFS, its chimbley people, chimbley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chim chim-in-ey, chim chim-in-ey
    Chim chim cher-ee!
    A sweep is as lucky, as lucky can be
    Chim chim-in-ey, chim chim-in-ey
    Chim chim cher-oo!
    Good luck will rub off when he shakes 'ands with you

Chim chim-in-ey, chim chim cher-ee, chim cher-oo!

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
    Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay.

Siting a dish on a gable end under the eves is the best place, as its somewhat protected from the worst of the weather and is easy to get at. Sticking it on the highest point of a property is madness really unless there really is no other option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

busman wrote: »
    Also the fact that technically would need planning permission as it would be higher that the roof.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#partii
    1. Not more than one such antenna shall be erected on, or within the curtilage of a house.

2. The diameter of any such antenna shall not exceed 1 metre.

3. No such antenna shall be erected on, or forward of, the front wall of the house.

4. No such antenna shall be erected on the front roof slope of the house or higher than the highest part of the roof of the house.

Wow. So basically if the front of your house faces approximately south, for most houses the only legal place for the dish is somewhere to the rear of the top part of your roof. i.e. maybe a stand off pole mounted on the back wall, or a pole in the back garden if the garden is long enough. Personally I dislike the sight of dishes mounted at the front of houses, but this sounds extremely restrictive. There must surely be a good 10 or 20% or so of houses which cannot meet the current criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

satellite-dish.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

If you do that here in galway the council send you a warning letter to take it down or face prosecution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

mike65 wrote: »
    Sticking it on the highest point of a property is madness really unless there really is no other option.

Yes. And even then, by my reading, it is non compliant because it'll usually be '...higher than the highest part of the roof... '. Although this is usually less intrusive looking than having it on the front wall so I suspect a blind eye gets turned.

So anyone living in a terraced house with a south facing front wall is out in the cold. If that was me, I wouldn't be too happy with the state telling me that I could only get UPC / communal dish / etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

busman wrote: »

Now thats a good laugh as Mike65 as highlighted with his pic.
    I've seen some terraced houses completely covered in dishes erected on the front wall .
    Often 2 minidishes for each house .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Why would they install two dishes for each house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

12 element wrote: »

Probably top and bottom flats with two fuseboards

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

huggs2 wrote: »
    If you do that here in galway the council send you a warning letter to take it down or face prosecution.

Doesn't appear to be any such enforcement in Cork city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

155312.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

you're all spelling nazi's! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭p15574

you're all spelling nazi's! :P

"nazis".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭p15574

Tony wrote: »
    Probably top and bottom flats with two fuseboards
    12 element wrote: »

...or to point at different satellites not in the same direction (or lazier than multiple LNBs on the same dish)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Vince Cable

p15574 wrote: »
    ...or to point at different satellites not in the same direction (or lazier than multiple LNBs on the same dish)?

The original post referred to 'minidishes' which would generally be regarded as being for Sky/Freesat Astra 28E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Been reading/researching alot of FTA/feesat installation lately and couldnt help noticing a few things ...

Alot of satellites that seem to be FTA are being installed on the sides of houses, or above/below a bedroom window (anything except on the chimley)

So basically i'm just wondering. Is this the new standard (that satellites do no have to be on chimleys) or is it since alot of FTA kits are widely available that people, or inexperienced installers should be a comma here are putting them in various places?

Just curious.
    I'm one of the ultimate spelling Nazis.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Ah I see the whole phoenetic spelling thing is catching on south of of the border now too. Up here in 'nordie land' it's evolved into a whole new language, they're even getting 1000's of quid in grants to 'promote' it.

There's now even talk of 2 new TV channels for 'native speakers' of the tounge. "Bibbsy wan" & Bibbsy too". Not sure where they're going to find room after DSO though.

So all of you who cant / cant be bothered to spell correctly, don't give up hope, you may be pioneering a new 'native' language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

tongue;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

fat-tony wrote: »
    tongue;)

Doh!

I didn't even try with the punctuation and apostrophes:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

fat-tony wrote: »
    I didn't even try with the punctuation and apostrophes:)

Apostrophies are punctuation!

Apostrophies are punctuation!
    Pedant:D Apostrophies:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

drBill wrote: »
    Personally I dislike the sight of dishes mounted at the front of houses,

Not picking on you specifically here drBill, but personally I'd be of the opinion that people should mind their own business!

As long as the dish isn't interfering with/mounted on someone else's wall, no one else should have any say what you do with your own house. For example, I was told only recently how some of the neighbours don't like that one resident painted their window frames black cause it doesn't "fit in" with the rest (of the 100 or so identical poorly-insulated, poorly-soundproofed houses in the estate) :rolleyes:

As it happens there's 2 dishes on the front of my house (well in the middle) belonging to this one and the house next door - while it might be nicer to have one dish with an 8-feed LNB off it, unfortunately that's not practical for obvious reasons (who owns it, who's responsible if anything happens etc) and it's not bothering or affecting me or my neighbour so who cares?

As for "appearances" - I'd think the 30 or so unfinished houses in this estate, ranging from foundation with temporary metal railings around the site to 95% complete, would look a lot "worse" than a dish on someone's house no?

Bloody Irish (and I'm Irish myself) and their obsession with "appearances" - next thing ya know I'll have to "upgrade" to a 11-plate dish because mine has a bit of rust on it! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Not picking on you specifically here drBill, but personally I'd be of the opinion that people should mind their own business!

As long as the dish isn't interfering with/mounted on someone else's wall, no one else should have any say what you do with your own house.

As it happens there's 2 dishes on the front of my house (well in the middle) belonging to this one and the house next door - while it might be nicer to have one dish with an 8-feed LNB off it, unfortunately that's not practical for obvious reasons (who owns it, who's responsible if anything happens etc)

As for "appearances" - I'd think the 30 or so unfinished houses in this estate, ranging from foundation with temporary metal railings around the site to 95% complete, would look a lot "worse" than a dish on someone's house no?

Bloody Irish (and I'm Irish myself) and their obsession with "appearances" - next thing ya know I'll have to "upgrade" to a 11-plate dish because mine has a bit of rust on it! :rolleyes:

So you're happy that your neighbours do as they please and never mind what other people think or any regulations. Im not picking on you specifically but I think thats a bit selfish. Why doesnt everyone just pick and choose what rules to follow, personally I think sat dishes look terrible on the front facade, if that was my only option for tv I wouldnt do it, I was always sure the rule was (never on the front facade) there also seems to be an increase in extra large dishes, if I saw one of them up on the front of a house leading up to mine :mad:. Appearances? i'd say its bloody Irish and i'll do as i please attitude thats annoying.
    Possibly someone can confirm, but when you sign during the purchase, you arent just signing to agree to buy, its also to agree not to do certain things, like change the appearance/character or use of the building.
    It looks crap,

• Advertisement
Advertisement