Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2011

Options
  • 14-04-2011 7:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

n.png

:D

I think the Bulls are definitely legit. They're not "too young" to win the title, as many are saying. They're a great defensive team, and have a legit go-to guy that is very difficult to stop. But I think their outside shooting is going to make life difficult on them when playoff rotations are geared to bring out your greatest weakness.

-I've seen this movie with Boston before. I don't buy for a second that they're too old or that the Perkins deal killed their chemistry.

-Not to besmirch a legend, but I don't think Tim Duncan can hold the middle long enough to get to the Finals.

-...but I still think they'll beat the Thunder in Round 2.

-Mavs/Portland has upset written all over it. Portland plays like they think they can beat the Mavs.

-I think Denver could have made a run at a first round upset if they played anyone but OKC. Terrible matchup for them.

-As top heavy as they are, I don't see Miami getting by both Boston and Chicago. Props to them if they can.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Random observation that I have no statistical backing for, it's just something I've noticed...

Teams rarely go past the point of what they'd consider a successful season. For example, I don't see the Knicks having any shot at beating the Celtics. Why? Aside from the Celtics being better...making the playoffs (and getting Melo) is a successful season for them. It's something to build off of. If the Bulls lose in the Finals, would they see this season as a failure? Hell no. They've made great strides.

I think there are only 3 teams where anything less than a title would be considered a failure. The Lakers, Celtics, & Heat. I think that's a key thing that separates them from OKC & Chicago, both of whom have very talented teams. I don't think that expectation level is going to exist for either OKC or Chicago until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lakers to cruise into the final IMO with the winners of what I feel is the inevitable game between Heat and Celtics to join them.

I'll go for Lakers V Heat final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

In the Western Conference semi's I have Spurs against OKC, and Mavs against Lakers. I think the Thunder are too athletic for the Spurs. Thunder in 6. Lakers take Mavs in 7.
    You'll have to come back to me on Thunder vs. Lakers. May sound premature, but I believe the Thunder are going to be very dangerous this year, particularly with Perkins anchoring them alongside Ibaka, and especially if the Lakers aren't rolling. If they are, you'd have to fancy the Lakers to pull through.

On the other side of things, I have Bulls beating Pacers in 4, Magic getting by Hawks, Celtics beating Knicks and Heat beating 76ers. Then, I think the Bulls will beat the Magic in 6. Celtics/Heat is a tough one. Again, depends on how teams are playing. I think Heat could edge it, although I could change my mind here. East is very difficult to predict. I think Bulls lose to Heat, and beat Celtics.

Which leaves us with Thunder/Lakers vs. Heat/Bulls/Celtics. Really going out on a limb there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Lakers will coast through to the WC Finals, probably against either the Spurs or Thunder. I think the Lakers might prefer to play the Spurs, the Lakers size inside is just too tough. OKC could give them problems though, Perkins is a monster, and Ibaka has had a new lease of life now that he's moved to PF and is an amazing help defender.

In the East, I'm not too bothered who wins as long as it's not Miami! :)
    I think the Bulls will get to the EC Finals but the Magic might give them problems, I think Howard has really improved his overall game and is so vital in the middle of the Magic D in stopping Rose getting easy layups.
    Boston to beat NY unless Melo and Amare shoot ridiculously well. The Knicks just don't play any defence. Then Boston and Miami to have a very close series. Could go either teams way and it I think it depends more on how Miami play rather than how Boston plays in that matchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Going for a shock OKC v Bulls final :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

evil_seed wrote: »
    Going for a shock OKC v Bulls final :cool:

Would it be a shock?The Heat's big 3 are not better than the Bulls 4 and their coach is better.

OKC are just so great to watch and this time they might have too much for an older lakers.

James Harden is playing really well and offers them an awful lot to add to Durant,Westbrook and Perkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Celtics beat the Lakers in 7. Shaq is MVP. Count It!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Can't wait, promises to be a great playoffs. It must be the most open playoffs ever, and when I think about who'll win each series, a minor thing could tip the balance the other way.

In the East, despite there being some close series, I think it will go with seedings all the way through. So Bulls to beat Magic in second round, Heat to beat Celtics. I'm surprised at how many people are tipping the Celtics, they have a worse record than the Heat, they don't have home-court, they have a worse 2nd half of the season, and Shaq mightn't even make the opening game. Right now I can't see the Celtics getting past the Heat, and predict the Heat to win with a bit to spare.

An Eastern Conference Finals of Bulls vs. Heat would be too close to call. The Bulls beat them 3-0 in the regular season, but each game could've gone either way, and the Heat could easily have the best overall record now. Will have to go with the Bulls though.

In the West I think something crazy might happen. A Western Conference Finals of Oklahoma vs. Portland wouldn't surprise me. I think Portland vs. Dallas will be a first round upset. I don't think the Lakers are going back to the finals, if Portland don't beat them, I think San Antonio/Oklahoma will. With Fisher/Artest not contributing much they're relying too much on 3 starters and Kobe can't take over a game like he used to.

So the Western conference champion to come from Spurs/Thunder, and the Bulls to beat them in the finals.

great game between the bulls and indiana to kick things off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Yea, really good game to start things off.
    Obviously Rose was a different class in the end but was impressed by the way the Pacers played from Collison and Granger to Hansborough of all people. A good young team but just couldn't pull it off in the end due to the leagues MVP.
    Pacers will be kicking themselves, I am sure the Pacers will take a game at home in this one.

Now to take off my Bulls jersey and throw on my 76ers

• Advertisement

The playoffs have started!

That's why Rose is the MVP. The Bulls played terribly, had no right to win the game but Rose dragged them through it. Bulls were never up to playoff pace, which raises questions if they have another gear above their regular season form, but for now I'm happy with the win.

I have some sympathy for Vogel and the Pacers, who played great and probably deserved to win the game.

What the hell is going on in Miami? Looks like a KKK meeting. Oh well, Sixers are leading early.

Not impressed by the Heat at all, just kind of went through the motions, doesn't bode well for the rest of the playoffs in my opinion.

Magic could be in serious trouble here, Howard needs some help big time and their defense can't seem to cope. Nelson is coming to life now so maybe......

I think the Portland v Dallas game will be interesting, from every blog, message board news report etc it seems like Portland are everyones pick now, although it is disguised as people saying it could be an upset instead of just saying they fancy Portland. I think Dallas might edge it if Dirk does it in the fourth.

I only managed to watch the Heat 76ers game and while it'll probably be a short series, it should be entertaining. Between LeBron, Iggy, Wade, Holiday, & Thaddeus Young, the perimeter athleticism on both teams will be so fun to watch

I think the Portland v Dallas game will be interesting, from every blog, message board news report etc it seems like Portland are everyones pick now, although it is disguised as people saying it could be an upset instead of just saying they fancy Portland. I think Dallas might edge it if Dirk does it in the fourth.

That was a great game, Mavs looked to be in control, then the Blazers took over in the third and looked to be heading for a win, only for Dirk to save the day in the 4th.

The upset is definitely on, the Blazers can play better (Wallace and Roy didn't play well). The Mavs defend well but it's just hard to see where the scores are coming from after Dirk. He had 28, Jason Kidd had 24 (not gonna do that every game), next highest scorer was Jason Terry with 10.

Another worrying stat for them, points in the paint: Blazers 46 - Mavs 18.

Should be a good series and can see it going 7.

padraig_f wrote: »
    That was a great game, Mavs looked to be in control, then the Blazers took over in the third and looked to be heading for a win, only for Dirk to save the day in the 4th.

The upset is definitely on, the Blazers can play better (Wallace and Roy didn't play well). The Mavs defend well but it's just hard to see where the scores are coming from after Dirk. He had 28, Jason Kidd had 24 (not gonna do that every game), next highest scorer was Jason Terry with 10.

Another worrying stat for them, points in the paint: Blazers 46 - Mavs 18.

Should be a good series and can see it going 7.

Yea, I agree. It should be a great series, Mavs will need my main man Dirk to bring it most nights, they should get more off Terry over the next few games. I would just pick the Mavs by a nose due to Dirk.

Another day of basketball ahead, I literaly watched basketball from 10 am to 10 pm yesterday, that's just not right.
    Here's to CP dismantling the Lakers along with one of my old Warriors favs Belinelli, wishful thinking but I can dream.

Well done to Memphis. The fact that they didn't even have Rudy Gay makes it all the more impressive.

The games so far have been terrific.Looking forward to tonights.If anyone has any link for the Lakers game(Mine went down)Could they pm.

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Lakers in trouble .... and gone. Well done Hornets.

Oh yea baby, well deserved by the Hornets all the way through the team. Lakers can have no excuses, better team on the day won.
    Gray will be a big loss, gave them great minutes and some presence inside.

Just an utterly lethargic performance by the Lakers. I couldn't actually believe how non aggressive Gasol was. He didn't even try and establish position in the post and just resorted to taking terrible shots.

And why on earth didn't Phil switch Kobe onto Paul .That was puzzling. Still I'm not complaining. :D

• Advertisement

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Just an utterly lethargic performance by the Lakers. I couldn't actually believe how non aggressive Gasol was. He didn't even try and establish position in the post and just resorted to taking terrible shots.

And why on earth didn't Phil switch Kobe onto Paul .That was puzzling. Still I'm not complaining. :D

I found that puzzling myself, Gasol got isolated on Paul twice near the end and Paul knocked down two big shots, just poor poor play by the Lakers

Chris Paul was magnificent.

Do my eyes decieve me or are the knicks playing a little defence?

Been a great weekend of games so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Just starting to watch the Knicks v Celtics game.
    Saw a little bit of the 1st quarter and it seemed to me that Rondo looks dialed in; absolutely key for the Celtics that he is.
    If he's below par the Celtics won't even get out of this series; if he is, they're a legitimate threat to anyone. He needs to start pushing the tempo, though, and everything else will fall into place.
    Knicks up by 12 at the half; don't think they'll win this game, though, and won't win the series.
    Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Keyser Söze

anyone have a link for celtics game?

anyone have a link for celtics game?

http://nba-legends4.blogspot.com/

this one is actually a bit better, for me anyway

http://jaysunsvcr.blogspot.com/

what a finish! you can always count on Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jungleland86

My stream cut out with 20 seconds to go agggh! Just saw the shot on NBA.com - Never write the Celtics off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

FFS, someone needs to tell the Lakers that the playoffs have started. They look like they don't give a shít what happens. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Doesn't seem to be any game on ESPN or ESPN America tonight... So get crackin with the Linkage at game time, please lads :)

Advertisement