Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Thanks for that - saw the highlights on NBA.com this morning before work (stupid work getting in the way of my watching playoffs! :D )

Will have a look into that DavkaBT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Have to say, I'm loving listening to Jeff van Gundy and Mark Jackson's summing up of the games. I never thought much of Van Gundy as a coach but he cracks me up with his little quips on the TV. Jackson was a hard-nosed player and he still sees the game that way in his commentary.

Where's Marv Albert though? ("yes...")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Another crazy stat of the day but since the NBA went to a 2-3-2 format back in '85, there have been 11 times where the Finals have been tied going into Game 3, and the winner of Game 3 ended up winning the series every time. popcorn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I'm a big fan of the nba and frankly, I hav egotten sick of watching nba games on my computer and them stream going down, stopping and starting and the terrible quality.

I have decided to upgrade my skyplus and add espn america... Well I think I have decided that... How many nba games on average are shown does anyone know? Is it like once a week? Also are the playoffs being shown atm???

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Delighted for Dirk, really hope they manage to get a win in the next game.

• Advertisement

buyer95 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the nba and frankly, I hav egotten sick of watching nba games on my computer and them stream going down, stopping and starting and the terrible quality.

I have decided to upgrade my skyplus and add espn america... Well I think I have decided that... How many nba games on average are shown does anyone know? Is it like once a week? Also are the playoffs being shown atm???

Thanks!

The NBA is shown on the normal ESPN channel and not ESPN America.

You should be alright with just getting the normal ESPN channel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

buyer95 wrote: »

Thanks!

ESPN America is not what you want for games. It has a NBA tonight the next day but no live games. What you want is ESPN, during the day you get a lot of soccer but also replays of the previous nights NBA games with those pesky ads removed! Then at night you get NBA games, usually one or two per week. Thankfully they showed a playoff game every night and had every game of the conference finals and finals. Also I dont know whether your into the NFL but ESPN has the monday night games also. ESPN America is mostly college sports and the NHL.

Hopefully the mavs get the win tonight to go ahead in the series. I expect the heat to come back strong though after their horror 4th quarter the other night.

Bank holiday so a few cold beers tonight watching the basketball :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Paully D wrote: »
    Brilliant thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Great comeback by the Mavs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

baz2009 wrote: »
    Great comeback by the Mavs.

they almost did it again. what was it, a 17-3 run? Wade was massive for the heat lastnight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

evil_seed wrote: »
    they almost did it again. what was it, a 17-3 run? Wade was massive for the heat lastnight

Yeah for the first game wade was letting lebron and bosh do their thing but he stepping up big time now!

Very entertaining game. Dallas' resilience is pretty damn impressive, but Miami's defense once again was the story.

I think this series has been a good example of why LeBron's decision was disappointing to me. Sure, there may be nights where Pippen was better than MJ, McHale was better than Bird, Gasol was better than Kobe, etc...but I can't think of a single instance where those guys were afforded that luxury over the course of an entire series. (with the exception of Shaq/Kobe, and as a result Shaq is rightfully recognized as the alpha dog on those teams)

The likes of MJ and Bird etc didn't have the luxury of letting another guy take over, because those guys weren't capable of completely dominating a game, regardless of who the matchup was. Those guys had to battle through the teams that were better suited to defend them.

Warriors hire Mark Jackson as the new HC

I'm pretty nervous about this hire myself. He's never sat on the bench even as an assistant and we're supposed to suddenly believe he can turn this Franchise around. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I'd be nervous as well, very nervous. Personally I'm just happy he won't be commentating next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

• Registered Users Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Over in 5 aint looking good for you eagle_eye :pac:

Mavs win 86-83 tonight, all tied up now!!

Go mavs! :)

What a great series so far with three of the games going to the buzzer.

If Dallas can win the next game it will get very, very interesting. Although I still expect Miami to win the next game and finish it off in Miami.

Great stuff this series!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Warriors hire Mark Jackson as the new HC

I'm pretty nervous about this hire myself. He's never sat on the bench even as an assistant and we're supposed to suddenly believe he can turn this Franchise around. :confused:

Yea, didn't see that one coming, obviously the lack of experience is the main questionmark around this hire but there are some positives, he was an exceptional player that will have the respect off players, seems to acknowledge the importance of team play and defense, has remained well in the loop since he retired even though it is tv work its still important. Will get a lot of help off an experienced assistant coach.
    What do the Warriors have to lose at this stage ?
    It might be a bit of an hail mary but might be just what the franchise needs.

Oh yea, Go Mavs !! Need to win the next game to make it real interesting, Mavs have impressed me with how hard they are playing.

Yea, didn't see that one coming, obviously the lack of experience is the main questionmark around this hire but there are some positives, he was an exceptional player that will have the respect off players, seems to acknowledge the importance of team play and defense, has remained well in the loop since he retired even though it is tv work its still important. Will get a lot of help off an experienced assistant coach.
    What do the Warriors have to lose at this stage ?
    It might be a bit of an hail mary but might be just what the franchise needs.

Yeah thats true about Malone. He's a well respected assistant that probably should have gotten an HC opportunity by now. Good signing, especially with an inexperienced coach

Jackson may very well prove himself to be a solid coach. Only time will tell. I just think that there were several guys that were more qualified than he was. If you look back on the recent hires that have really worked out for teams, they've been guys that put in years of time as assistants and worked their way up the ladder. Thibodeau, Spoelstra, Monty Williams, etc.

It obviously doesn't mean that Jackson can't succeed but it would be interesting to know just how the Front Office made the decision. What did they base this hiring on? What made them choose Mark Jackson over Budenholzer, Malone, Shaw, and others?

Anyway an ugly game last night.Mavs missed a ton of open shots down the stretch but once they switched to that zone Miami had no idea how to counter it.

Also I've never seen a great player want absolutely NO part of a big game like that. It's not the missed shots, or the 8 points, or whatever...LeBron wanted no part of that game. Wade may have missed the free throw, but he left it all on the court. Shocking effort/interest level throughout the entire game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gosh darn it, NBA.

Now I might have to start watching games again :)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Gosh darn it, NBA.

Now I might have to start watching games again :)

You could start by watching tonight's game. Should be an interesting one.:)

I actually think this has been one of the strangest Finals ever. Seriously...has anyone that's watched this series gotten the impression that Dallas is better than Miami at ANY point of the series? They've been clinging on for dear life this whole series, and yet it's tied 2-2 :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I think I might stay up tonight and watch, really hope Mavs win!

If Dallas win tonight then Miami will choke, IMO.

I'll still stick with my original prediction of 4-2 Miami, but I'd like to see Dallas win tonight to see how Miami cope with being 3-2 down!

It should be a great game, unfortunately I'll only get about 3 hours sleep though. The joys of being an Irish NBA fan :pac:

This is the first NBA Finals since 1948 where 3 consecutive games have been decided at the buzzer.

Game 2 = Wade misses the running 3 pointer, Dallas wins
    Game 3 = Dirk misses the 17 footer, Miami wins
    Game 4 = Mike Miller misses the desperation 3, Dallas wins

Crazy :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 de4d

game five is going to be a great game, i really want dallas to pull out the win. go mavericks!

Advertisement