Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ultra Sonic

How many 7 game series are there in this bunch of conference semi finals? I'd take a guess that all 4 match ups will go to 7 games!!!!

I saw a stat this morning that shows historically 78.6% of the time when a road team wins the first game in a 7 game series they will the series outright, its happened 11 times out of 14. On average we should see 2 of the lower seeds from Memphis, Dallas and Atlanta get to the conference final.

So long as the Heat aren't there I'm happy!

D. Rose named MVP, honoured to have seen him in action back in March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Looks like Boston doesn't have the requisite defensive talent to get this done. Wade did anything he wanted to in Game 1, and both he and LeBron did the same in this game. They really miss Perkins and Tony Allen right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Celtics look in a bit of bother alright with no-one really playing up to the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Celtics look in trouble, they are playing bad and don't seem to be able to cope defensively and finish plays.
    Saying that though, this was always going to be a problem with the Heat if you have James and Wade playing extremely well then they are going to be very difficult to deal with, now with perimeter players stepping up their contributions too. Heat just look more athletic and Celtics are not able to slow them down.
    Celtics will have step up the defense and maybe double down on James and Wade more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Celtics really could do with Perk & Nate right now. Perk would be great to have inside, big defensive body and Nate would provide a good spark on the offensive end. Heat can be painful to watch at home though, questionable calls seem to creep up all to often.

Lakers having a tough enough time against Dallas atm, down 6 getting fairly out muscled on both ends.

The Lakers are in deep trouble now. After last nights game I think it's obvious they've just run out of gas.They were missing shots by a mile and had several bad turnovers. The Mavs also got everything they want making run after run at the offensive glass with little to no resistance.

It was inevitable really since the list of teams to make the Finals 4 years in a row is very, very short. And each of them had more than one great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Sea Devils wrote: »
    The Lakers are in deep trouble now. After last nights game I think it's obvious they've just run out of gas.They were missing shots by a mile and had several bad turnovers. The Mavs also got everything they want making run after run at the offensive glass with little to no resistance.

It was inevitable really since the list of teams to make the Finals 4 years in a row is very, very short. And each of them had more than one great player.

Big summer for LA. Think they're gonna make an effort to do another quick reload. No way is Buss gonna pay that much for a team near the end of its run.

Roll on the Dwight Howard era in LA!!

It's a sad way for PJ to leave though. He deserves to go out on top IMO. A true legend of the sport.

#15 wrote: »
    !

It's a sad way for PJ to leave though. He deserves to go out on top IMO. A true legend of the sport.

I always find it amusing when people say he's always had great players by his side. There's an interesting stat actually that amongst Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant, & Shaquille O'Neal, only one of them won a title without him (Shaq), and that was as the 2nd best player on a team with a HOF coach as well. (Pat Riley)

11 titles in 19 years of coaching and 13 conference titles, I think too many fans tend to brush that aside imo :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

Lakers now need to take the same approach as the Heat
    Personally I would offer Kobe and Gasol - Kobe is repeatedly linked with a move to NY, this could be the opportunity to cash in.

Howard is a natural first option
    LA need 3 new marquee players though

• Advertisement

Tom Fiat wrote: »
    Lakers now need to take the same approach as the Heat
    Personally I would offer Kobe and Gasol - Kobe is repeatedly linked with a move to NY, this could be the opportunity to cash in.

Howard is a natural first option
    LA need 3 new marquee players though

Kobe and Gasol for Howard? No way man!!

I always find it amusing when people say he's always had great players by his side. There's an interesting stat actually that amongst Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant, & Shaquille O'Neal, only one of them won a title without him (Shaq), and that was as the 2nd best player on a team with a HOF coach as well. (Pat Riley)

11 titles in 19 years of coaching and 13 conference titles, I think too many fans tend to brush that aside imo :(

Yeah he's incredible. It speaks volumes about Phil's ability that Kobe swallowed his pride so quickly in 2005 after practically running PJ out of town in 2004.

All year the US sports press has been rife with talk of Westbrooks going to LA when his current contract expires to join Howard. Conventional basketball wisdom used to be that you started with a centre/big man and built the team around that. The game has changed in recent years but not that much and you still need a dominant big man on any championship team (look at why the then young Lakers went after Shaq all those years ago) - maybe not in points production, but defensively or from a leadership perspective.

Howard is a once in a generation player and the queue for him will be as big as, if not bigger than the Lebron queue (NOTE: I'm not saying he's a better player than LBJ, just as a team piece, his value will be enormous). He's a 3 time defensive player of the year winner, a 20ppg and a 10 boards a night player. And he's got the one thing you can't teach - size. The guy is a beast. There is not one team in the League who will not move heaven and earth to get Dwight Howard.

As for trading Kobe Bryant, I can't see that happening as he's a Laker lifer and one of those "one team" career guys. Gasol, Bynum or Odom (or maybe any two of the above) would be moved in a heartbeat if Howard was legitimately on the table. But I don't see him being traded, I see him playing next year (if there is a league!) for Orlando and then walking, most likely to the Lakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

That's a long walk

Tom Fiat wrote: »
    That's a long walk
    Hilarious.

#15 wrote: »
    Yeah he's incredible. It speaks volumes about Phil's ability that Kobe swallowed his pride so quickly in 2005 after practically running PJ out of town in 2004.

It's interesting that you bring those years up. When you think about it, it's practically amazing that a starting lineup consisting of Kwame Brown, Luke Walton and Smush Parker actually made the Playoffs and took the Suns to 7 games.:eek:

As for trading Kobe Bryant, I can't see that happening as he's a Laker lifer and one of those "one team" career guys. Gasol, Bynum or Odom (or maybe any two of the above) would be moved in a heartbeat if Howard was legitimately on the table. But I don't see him being traded, I see him playing next year (if there is a league!) for Orlando and then walking, most likely to the Lakers.

Nail on the head.

I hope.:D

It's interesting that you bring those years up. When you think about it, it's practically amazing that a starting lineup consisting of Kwame Brown, Luke Walton and Smush Parker actually made the Playoffs and took the Suns to 7 games.:eek:

Ah yes, the Mihm-McKie era:cool:

As frustrating as that team was, they had a few memorable moments. I loved Kobe's dunk on Nash in the playoffs.

This too

It's a poor quality vid, but I love how Kobe basically intimidated Smush into stealing the ball.

Can't complain too much though, only one year in the lottery and 3 overall to make it back to the finals. It was a quick reloading job.

I'd say the next rebuilding job will be a bit slower, as the key guy will most likely have to be brought in from outside. At least with Kobe, the key guy was there to build around. I don't think Bynum will ever be a #1 guy on a championship team.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mavs just about to go up 3-0. Dirk has had a fantastic game but the Lakers really have been poor too. Right at the end there they were four points down and turn the ball over off a timeout from the sideline ball. Just unforgiveable stuff at that level.

It will be hard to come back from this. I've felt the Lakers have been lacking the hunger in the playoffs so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Let's go celtics!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Let's go celtics!!!!!
    Even if they end up losing this series I really hope they crush Miami in Boston. Shaq supposed to be ready to play in the next game or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Rajon Rondo ..... ouch :eek:

Rajon Rondo ..... ouch :eek:

Supposed dislocated elbow but he still plays on. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Nice job, Celtics. The only concern I would have is how much has that win taken out of them ahead of Game 4...

Credit to Rondo for playing on in those circumstances. That play where he stole the ball from Bosh and had that breakaway dunk was just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Mad first half in the Mavs - Lakers game so far. 9 3's so far for the Mavs and they're up 50-32 with 6 minutes left in the 2nd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

thats all for the lakers folks , jason terry is killing it !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Embarrassing way for it to end. Odom and Bynum should be ashamed of themselves. Classless.

• Advertisement

I don't think I've seen a team give up as many open shots as the Lakers have. Absolutely ridiculous.

Although having said that I think Dallas deserve a lot more credit then they've been getting. It wouldn't surprise me if the media focuses a lot more on the Lakers implosion more so then how good the Mav's have been

Sums up the Lakers performance perfectly tbh

artestdunk.gif

Advertisement