Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poly tunnel

• 14-04-2011 7:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

hello everyone,

started growing last year in 2 12*4foot raised beds out the back, mostly vegetables.
    doing the same this year with more, just curious if anyone knows where to get small poly tunnels, or failing that, a type of plastic to diy my own one together.

im located in limerick so the closer the better

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

hi
    my brother was going buying a polytunnel this year and was quoted €900 for 30' x 18'. long story short he got an iornmonger to bend 2" galvanise pipes and bought the special plastic thats needed all for about €500 i had to give a few hours with him putting on the plastic which was tricky enough if you didn't know how to do it, but he googled building your own poly tunnel and got the technique for putting on the plastic and it was simple enough then.

try this link for a complete diy build which looks fairly good and cheap method http://www.self-sufficient.co.uk/Make-Your-Own-DIY-Polytunnel.htm i would try this myself only for my site is too exposed and bleak in the winter. might still build a small test on yet just to see how rigid/strong it is before committing to a bigger one;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sponge_bob wrote: »
    hi
    my brother was going buying a polytunnel this year and was quoted €900 for 30' x 18'.
    does that include construction?
    i helped put together a 30'x10' recently which cost €360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

yeah €900 was erected, but he had to have the trench pre-dug for setting the plastic into

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hillviewfarm

Anyone know of someone in the Cork or county Cork area who would bend some pipes? I have purchased some steel to make a polytunnel and need to get it bent into shape. All suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Sorry no, but did you consider using 2" PVC water or gas mains pipe for the hoops. Did that myself ans is often done. Very sturdy and cheap option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

sponge_bob wrote: »
    hi
    my brother was going buying a polytunnel this year and was quoted €900 for 30' x 18'. long story short he got an iornmonger to bend 2" galvanise pipes and bought the special plastic thats needed all for about €500 i had to give a few hours with him putting on the plastic which was tricky enough if you didn't know how to do it, but he googled building your own poly tunnel and got the technique for putting on the plastic and it was simple enough then.

try this link for a complete diy build which looks fairly good and cheap method http://www.self-sufficient.co.uk/Make-Your-Own-DIY-Polytunnel.htm i would try this myself only for my site is too exposed and bleak in the winter. might still build a small test on yet just to see how rigid/strong it is before committing to a bigger one;)

On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is it to get the cover stretched tightly using that method?

If you have a warm still day, at least 4 people, a good head about you and patience, you can do it no problem. Just research the method before you even think about starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I have built the frame for a small polytunnel and now have to "poly" it. Where can one buy small (and I mean small!) quantities of polythene for tunnels? thanks

Most places will set fixed widths by the metre length. Where are you?

Oh Lucan :) polydome.ie, nad.ie are two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Thans redser7 - I'll give them a try - they won't make money out of me as I don't need a lot.

Hiya
    New tunnel and am looking for SunMaster Super Thermic Polythene. I am in East Cork. Any ideas where I might get his. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Where was it bought and what was included in the price?

Mine is homemade, so other than the frame I am starting from stratch.

I got 700 gauge sunmaster a couple of years ago from NAD in Dublin (nad.ie). They probably deliver. I know a few heads who ordered from the UK online. Firsttunnels, tunnelsdirect etc. Maybe check those out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I second nad.ie, got my poly from them.

Details: http://nad.ie/docs/sections/Polythene.pdf (last page)

Advertisement