Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia for xmas?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hiya,

I have family in Australia, and i'm thinking of going for 2.5 weeks in xmas. Am I mad? I'd go if I could get flights for around €1000-1200, is that v. unlikely?

They're in Melbourne at the mo and should still be there at christmas. I've work so I cant be too flexible with when i travel, so it really is peak travel time when I want to go (between 15th dec to 8th jan ish).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I was in Melbourne for the run up to Christmas last year (and in NSW for Christmas). And found it all very un-christmassy.... So if thats what your after probably not the best place to go!

Weather when I was there was also pretty poor, and rained most days, but that supposedly was very unusual. I think if you book now you should be able to get decent price flights, have a look with Etihad, they seem to be the cheapest and personally think the easiest way to get there.

And no I don't think your mad! Melbourne is a great city and well worth a trip! Weather 'should'be ok then. And the only issue is restaurants/bars will be busy with the usual christmas partys.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lisasimps

thanks for the feedback!!
    Planning on going to spend xmas with family, so the lack of xmas stuff won't put me out!
    I'll have a look at that site, thanks very much!
    Everyone seems to say book early, when would the prices shoot up?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,352 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Return flights now (oz to ireland to oz) are AU$2400 by august or september they'll be about $3500

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lisasimps

thanks for that. is it usually around sept that they increase? Still havent fully decided if im going to go yet, but don't want to end up paying a lot more for procrastinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Book asap defo. Theyll get more and more expensive. At the start of August last year the cheapest I was quoted Syd-Dub return was $2,700!! And that was with limited availability.

Sydney had fab weather for Christmas and New Years last Christmas. In the 30's all week.
    The Christmas before was rainy and sh*tty! Would have preferred to be at home!

But personally it is so hit and miss with the weather here in the summer, my friends mum came in feb 2010 and it was torrential rain for a whole week of her stay, like the kind of rain you couldnt go out in! You can never tell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Christmas here is actually pretty pants. Just does not feel like christmas

Advertisement