Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-factoring my career

Options
  • 14-04-2011 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Long story short, currently working in software and thinking about getting into the development side as it seems to offer more job opportunies. I have some C# experience but mostly just from developing a few tools on my own time in previous jobs.

I am currently working with Perl and I don't particularly like it and I don't find it that easy to read either. But I don't know if the reason I don't like it is the current environment I'm working in.

Truth be told, I don't have a great deal of knowledge of programming and I don't really have a thourough understanding of the various concepts. For example I got asked what an overloaded method was in an interview and I hadn't a clue. I was also asked what the difference was between overriding and overloading a method. Again, I hadn't a notion.

I've never been properly trained or educated as a programmer and I'm thinking that probably explains why I don't always enjoy it - as I don't always understand what I'm doing. I've bought various books over the years but I find myself almost falling asleep trying to follow them and at the end, I'm none the wiser

Job wise I do need to make a change soon, for various reasons. It used to be my dream when I was younger to be a programmer so I don't want to totally give up on the idea unless I am sure it is not for me.

What would be the best way to get a good solid grounding that would allow me to grow? Also, what would be the best language to focus on? I was thinking either C# or Java, although Java seems to currently offer more job opportunities.

Sorry if this post is a bit rambling, I just need to make a change and I'm trying to work out what that should be.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Is the reason you were falling asleep reading books is because all you were doing was reading?

Create a little project for yourself and use the ideas you learn from the book in practice. You should be able to at least do that, to have the motivation to do so. Otherwise maybe it's not wise entering a development role.

Have you thought about looking at some screen cast videos?

Overloading/overriding are basic concepts that you will at least need to know in interviews. You need to start practising and get excited about programming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Thanks for the feedback. What's a screen cast video?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the likes of youtube tutorial videos showing the coding being done, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

If you are mostly exposed to Perl (and many other dynamic languages), there is a good chance things like overloading and overriding just don't come up. You don't overload functions/methods, because your function parameters are not set in stone anyhow (you can take in however many arguments you want, in any type, etc).

Method overriding comes into object oriented programming and inheritance, and a lot of perl tasks don't cry out for OO solutions.

As for perl not being very readable, well, you've just described perl main criticism.

As for knowing a little C# - did you ever learn some object oriented programming? Did you read any books, tutorials, etc...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

For me I needed to be in a class, or doing a project. Doing elearning or just learning it from a book, or even videos just sends me to sleep. Also its easy to get stuck doing the same thing in a regular job. So you only get exposed to a very narrow part of language or technology. Its trap you walk yourself into. At least I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭selfdiy

Personally I'm biased towards Java, I think its an easy enough language to learn.

But why don't you give yourself a goal like becoming Java certified, there is a book called "SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6" its easy enough to follow once you have the basics, and if you got through the material you'd know the answer to most of the oop type interview questions.. be a big help on your move.

I think you learn more on the first three months of a new job then the entire rest of the time you spend at that same job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

selfdiy wrote: »
    Personally I'm biased towards Java, I think its an easy enough language to learn.

But why don't you give yourself a goal like becoming Java certified, there is a book called "SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6" its easy enough to follow once you have the basics, and if you got through the material you'd know the answer to most of the oop type interview questions.. be a big help on your move.

I think you learn more on the first three months of a new job then the entire rest of the time you spend at that same job...

I'm pretty sure I already have those books, at least for an older version of Java. I really should dig them out and dust them off.

Is there a recommended IDE to use with Java? Preferably a free one or one that doesn't cost very much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭selfdiy

The IDE I use is eclipse. It is free and has a plugin for everything. I've never found a reason to use something different.

Advertisement