Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in the States

Options
  • 14-04-2011 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Im going to Canada for a year have been for a year allready and would like th option to enter the states legally and work there if staying in Canada after the year is not an option. Now I have no clue about America!!! What are my options. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Potcher wrote: »
    Im going to Canada for a year have been for a year allready and would like th option to enter the states legally and work there if staying in Canada after the year is not an option. Now I have no clue about America!!! What are my options. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

You will need to get a visa to work in the US

Options include

1. H1 - Sponsorship from a employer
    2. J1 - If you are a student and returning to college
    3. Green Card Lottery
    4. Marry an American and get a Green card that way.

There is so simple and quick option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Potcher

Thank you Fr. :-) Do you know for H1 Sponsorship is it the same as Canada, is an LMO required?
    PS I'll give yourself a shout if I decide to go the marriage route.... You can preside over the union

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

For H1B sponsorship in the US you need an LCA (Labor Condition Application) which by the looks of it is equivalent to the LMO. Along with this, you need a prospective employer, a degree and the employer must pay fees of c. $4,000. There is other paperwork to be completed also. It can take up to two months to get an H1B. There's more information here on the specifics and more information on different visas available here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Potcher

Thanks for the replys :-) Great info lisa...

Advertisement