Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry Lift in the Docks Today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭squonk

This story gets better and better as it goes! Those ferries don't want to leave Galway, and could you blame them? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

JustMary wrote: »
    Evolution in action.

Unfortunately medical assistance was provided, so they may yet breed.

From what I hear the 3 lads on board wanted to come off the boat but they were told to stay where they were. I'm not 100% on this so I'm reserving judgement. I suggest you do the same instead of replying that you'd prefer them not to have been given any medical assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

milehip1 wrote: »
    Can they not just sail the fecking things to where they want them?
    They are ships after all!

Short-range ferries. They want them in India right? The cargo ship probably has the endurance for the trip, and will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Short-range ferries. They want them in India right? The cargo ship probably has the endurance for the trip, and will be cheaper.

Not wanted in India its Mauritius they are going to which is near the Seychelles and Madagascar its in the Indian Ocean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not wanted in India its Mauritius they are going to which is near the Seychelles and Madagascar its in the Indian Ocean.

Correct, but I think the point being made is that the ferries are coastal and not ocean going craft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

India, Indian Ocean, same thing. They're not designed for a journey like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Correct, but I think the point being made is that the ferries are coastal and not ocean going craft.

sure just stick to the coast then, simples!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

Ah yes, along the coast line that connects Ireland to the UK and the UK to mainland Europe and beyond, I know it well. Many a childhood Summer I have spent there!
    :p:D

Are the local papers covering this much? I'm definitely going to have to go for a wander around the docks when I get back, maybe go and see the next lift attempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

mitsuko045 wrote: »
    Ah yes, along the coast line that connects Ireland to the UK and the UK to mainland Europe and beyond, I know it well. Many a childhood Summer I have spent there!
    :p:D

That maybe the case but when you get to the Indian Ocean Mauritius is about 550 miles off the east coast of Madagascar. That makes things a little tougher, not sure they would have the range or even be able to cope with that amount of open ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

vulcan57 wrote: »
    That maybe the case but when you get to the Indian Ocean Mauritius is about 550 miles off the east coast of Madagascar. That makes things a little tougher, not sure they would have the range or even be able to cope with that amount of open ocean.

Mate, at this stage I think we're all joking! :D

They're trying again Thursday! I'll be there watching any ways (from a safe distance)

http://www.galwaynews.ie/18955-another-lift-%E2%80%98jinxed%E2%80%99-ferries-be-attempted-thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Sure, those Danish sailors must be having a great time ... hanging out in the pubs of Galway ... in this weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

celty wrote: »
    Sure, those Danish sailors must be having a great time ... hanging out in the pubs of Galway ... in this weather!

Not many Danes on board by the looks of things, seems to be a mostly Asian crew.

Saw one of the crew doing a spot of painting on the starboard gunnel earlier so it looks like they are being kept busy.

The harbour crane was being positioned by her stern but I asse this has something to do with maintenance as opposed to any other purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Looks like there could be lift-off today, possibly within the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Harbour master on radio saying its going ahead and also that the Thor Gitta was in Galway in 2005 when she was called BBC Singapore.

Pics on the Galway Ships website when she was here in 2005

http://galwayships.com/cargo_ships/BBC%20Singapore%205.html

http://galwayships.com/cargo_ships/BBC%20Singapore%203.html

http://galwayships.com/cargo_ships/BBC%20Singapore%204.html

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Lift off is hoped to take place around 11am, according to RTE website:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0420/galway.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Any joy this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

First one is up on board, Galway Ships website has some pictures posted already.

Link: http://galwayships.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=11

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

All seem grand as I passed by 40mins ago, boat had been hoisted A-ok it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

I was down there before lunch and the first boat, Clann na nOilean, has been hoisted on board. Looks like they finally got a harnass which was strong enough to carry 'em. It's an extremely slow operation to get the two ferries into place, but should be finished by this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I'm struggling to see how both will fit on the boat though..maybe its just the way it appears, is there a big compartment for them in the boat or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Was down around 6 and it didnt look like the second one was going anywhere tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm struggling to see how both will fit on the boat though..maybe its just the way it appears, is there a big compartment for them in the boat or something?

I was standing there around 12:40 today looking at the first boat just about to enter the hold(just hanging there). I was thinking the exact same thing. Even asked a few people around "is there another ship coming?"

That ship must be very very deep.

Berty wrote: »
    I was standing there around 12:40 today looking at the first boat just about to enter the hold(just hanging there). I was thinking the exact same thing. Even asked a few people around "is there another ship coming?"

That ship must be very very deep.

They are not going into the hold they are both going on the top deck, like some posters I too am wondering where the second one will fit it looks very tight.

They are not going into the hold they are both going on the top deck, like some posters I too am wondering where the second one will fit it looks very tight.

Top deck kind of looks full

00047979-640.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Same as that. Could they put one on top of the other?
    Double Decker heading to the Indian Ocean lol.

When you look at this picture its moved in on one side so I guess ther is room for two.

Yeah the crane on the right in that picture is angled all the way over to the left.

I suppose they could be placed nose to nose or nose to tail or whatever.

I was standing at the door of McGinns so my angle was polar opposite to that picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

From RTE News
    Further delays have hit efforts to load a passenger ferry on board a large cargo ship in Galway Harbour.
    The operation was scheduled to get under way at 9am but will not now be able to begin until midday.
    The ferry, Clann Eagle, is to be transported to the island of Mauritius.
    Sister ferry Clann na nOilean was successfully hoisted onto the deck of the Thor Gitta yesterday but it has taken longer than anticipated to move other cargo from the deck of the boat to accommodate the second passenger ferry.
    It is hoped that the cargo ship will finally be able to leave for Mauritius this evening.

Crazy stuff.
    This is a cargo ship. You would imagine that the first 2 things that would spring to mind when transporting 'cargo', is

1. What weight is it?
    2. What size is it?

We had 3 different investigations after the first ferry fell back into the water, and nobody bothered to ask if there was enough room on deck to accomodate both ferries. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

According to the Galway advertiser facebook page today: "As expected, there's no room on the big boat for the second ferry. So they're moving stuff around. Someone forgot the measuring tape. Farewell party could be on hold yet."

http://www.facebook.com/GalwayAdvertiser

• Advertisement

Is there a bouycancy they must have before they can get out of the docks or is the "gate" level with the bed of the docks??

Will the ship itself fall over when out on the waves?

I know the guy whom sold the(bare with my description now)....... the metal clasps that hold the straps. He didn't sell the straps that broke or whatever broke. He sold the "clasp" that hold the straps to the cranes.(the part that didn't break). I'd love to see his fingernails..............probably all chewed off. :D

Advertisement