Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Exams 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

And when he said that the students at the end of the invigilators' section will have to wait up to 12 minutes - :p

I thought it was ok! Harder than all of the past papers for sure, more stuff came up on it - but it wasn't too bad. How did you find it? I kept getting the NCA note for the Cash Flow Statement wrong - it was tricky enough (and I kept making silly mistakes!). Even the ratio question wasn't too bad, and normally I don't like that.

Much more theory than I was expecting but apart from that it was grand. My SoFP didn't balance - I was out my ELEVEN! I found that very strange given most things were multiples of 5 :P

I love the noise of the calculator backs falling - reminds me of a page on facebook - when the calculator backs hit the floor you know ****s about to go down' - its so true!

I will only 23 more exams in UCD if I don't have any repeats :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

My first isn't til friday morning, but I'm sooooo unprepared :pac:. Time to hit the library for a few days, methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Exams started today and end on the 9th. Only have Sunday free. All exams right f*king next to each other which is a b*ll*ks. Can't relax when I get home as I have to cram like a mofo.

I finish up pretty damn early though which is nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Strategy - 3 hours of pain. Such a horrible exam. Bye bye nice GPA

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

misslt wrote: »
    Much more theory than I was expecting but apart from that it was grand. My SoFP didn't balance - I was out my ELEVEN! I found that very strange given most things were multiples of 5 :P

If you were out by such a small amount, chances are it's only one or two small mistakes! Allowance for credit losses was 171, maybe that's what added the mysterious 1 to everything :P

Yea there was a lot of theory. I wasn't used to Q3 having theory and I forgot it until 4 minutes left, I had just skipped past it straight onto the SOFP and moved onto the next question.

Oh well, at least that's over! It's part of an exemption for us (and you all would have done the other part - Principles of Finance, yes? What's it like). Now if only I was better prepared for Macro on Saturday... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Oh god Principles of Finance.

*shudder*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

*shudder*

Oh dear, I was hoping it would be easy! :(

I have a feeling the work load will take a significant step up in 2nd year!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LauraLuck

I dont start my exams til the 9th at 9am....have 6 exams spread over 4 days.Cant study, head will not focus :eek: am ****ting myself.Know im gonna fail one exam because its philosophy and a 70% exam = me screwed.
    Roll on summer freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

Strategy - 3 hours of pain. Such a horrible exam. Bye bye nice GPA

It was painfully long, never thought it was going to end. No sympathy either-if you don't know that exact part of the reading, tough ****.

Oh well, at least that's over! It's part of an exemption for us (and you all would have done the other part - Principles of Finance, yes? What's it like). Now if only I was better prepared for Macro on Saturday... :eek:

*shudder*

This is all you need to know about Principles of Finance.

Especially if you have the same lecturer we did. Useless doesn't even come close.

The paper was horrible and we all fully expected to fail, we had arranged for reps to go and see Brendan Murphy (course director) about it and the whole lot...I mysteriously managed to scrape a B-, which I found amazing given I don't think I even answered half the paper :)

The stuff is easy enough, there's a bit of overlap with Actuarial Maths that should help, but he was so bloody useless you felt like you learnt less each lecture.

2nd year is tough, I won't lie, but if you keep your head down and keep at it you'll have no trouble. (Speaking from experience - I did nothing and my Christmas results showed it.)

I have intermediate Macro on Saturday, do you have intro? If so you have a great advantage in doing Micro first. Three people in my class did Micro then Macro and we all got A's whereas people doing it the other way around didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

where r the exams(simmonscourt( from like spar in ballsbridge? where do you go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I've discovered a new study strategy, reading about set theory when your exam is in real analysis and not set theory at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

partyndbs wrote: »
    where r the exams(simmonscourt( from like spar in ballsbridge? where do you go from there

South-east on Merrion Road until you hit Simmonscourt Road, head south-west on Simmonscourt road for about 200 metres and the entrance will be on your left.

is it where da xmas exams were

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Nope, the christmas exams were in the Main Hall (hall 1 on the map below). These exams are in the Simmonscourt Hall (hall 8 on the map).

http://www.rds.ie/index.jsp?p=102&n=129

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Rumour has it that since the Christmas exams were cancelled due to snow that these ones are being postponed for too much sunshine, just a rumour though, not sure if it's true....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

One down, five more to go. Sigh.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

partyndbs wrote: »

Walk down with the RDS on your right and then turn right when you get to the road in between the Four Seasons and Bewley's hotels. Up there a short distance on your LHS

ah ye easy 2 find just were funderland is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Don't park inside RDS Simmonscourt, it's too expensive. Park just outside the main entrance instead along Simmonscourt Road between the two RDS complexes (although there should only be a handful of spaces).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Don't park inside RDS Simmonscourt, it's too expensive. Park just outside the main entrance instead along Simmonscourt Road between the two RDS complexes (although there should only be a handful of spaces).
    How much is it to park there?

Some sound guy handed me his parking ticket as I was pulling in and he was leaving today, right in front of the lads who you pay but they didn't seem to mind. I gave it to someone else as I was leaving. Everyone should do this! :)

The price for the car park is:

€5 for 1 day
    €15 for 3 consecutive days
    €20 for the whole exam period

• Registered Users Posts: 12 exam88

Anyone know if final year students get their exams early? I thought I could remember an ex flatmate getting hers early when she finished up... maybe it depends what course you are in?

misslt wrote: »
    I have intermediate Macro on Saturday, do you have intro? If so you have a great advantage in doing Micro first. Three people in my class did Micro then Macro and we all got A's whereas people doing it the other way around didn't.

Well done! Yea I have Intro to Macro on Saturday at 6pm, a bit nervous about it but hopefully it'll be ok. I definitely think that Micro was the harder of the two, so it's good to have that done with. I got an A+ in micro (through a ridiculous amount of cramming :o ) so I think anything over a B+ in macro and I should qualify for the CT7 (Economics) exemption! I still don't know how much you need to get to be recommended for the exemption, I heard it's usually around a weighted average of 75%, but I think it changes all the time and isn't decided until the end of 4th year!

exam88 wrote: »
    Anyone know if final year students get their exams early? I thought I could remember an ex flatmate getting hers early when she finished up... maybe it depends what course you are in?

As in results? On the whole they don't.

I know in TCD medical students get their results a couple of days after their exams, though that's necessary as their results decide where they do their intern year. So some courses might get them early here but for most they don't.

Well done! Yea I have Intro to Macro on Saturday at 6pm, a bit nervous about it but hopefully it'll be ok. I definitely think that Micro was the harder of the two, so it's good to have that done with. I got an A+ in micro (through a ridiculous amount of cramming :o ) so I think anything over a B+ in macro and I should qualify for the CT7 (Economics) exemption! I still don't know how much you need to get to be recommended for the exemption, I heard it's usually around a weighted average of 75%, but I think it changes all the time and isn't decided until the end of 4th year!

Oh its complicated - if all your exemption subjects have an average GPA equivalent of a B+ you get the blanket exemption.

If you don't get that you will get each individual one with a GPA equivalent of a B+. More than one module can make up an exemption and yeah they're weighted differently - Finance and accounting for example are 70-30 in favour of finance.

Macro is good, I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

WeeBushy wrote: »
    The price for the car park is:

€5 for 1 day
    €15 for 3 consecutive days
    €20 for the whole exam period
    Is it pay and display(parking meter)

Is it pay and display(parking meter)

No you pay on your way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

€5 euro for 1 day and €15 for 3 days - what genius thought of that combination!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

The ticket is good for the day so you can come and go as you please, alternatively if you see a green '00 astra coming in you can give the driver your ticket on the way out.

Advertisement