Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Exams 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Go to the Arts programme office. They should be able to sort it out.

I very very much doubt that. There are a lot of anomalies in the modular system and I have found them to be incompetent when dealing with my questions over the years. The whole thing can turn out to be a mess if you're not careful and arse covering is usually what you are up against when they realise they have messed you up with incorrect/bad advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I finished up at 6 there last night. 4 months of summer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I finished up at 6 there last night. 4 months of summer :D

Fcuk you :D Not finished until saturday next :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Halfway there.

Anyone have intermediate macro at 12? What you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

WeeBushy wrote: »
    How would you choose a different core module for the next semester? Core modules are core, they can't be chosen - they are modules that must be taken by students on that programme. Essentially, core modules are unsubtitutable.

In saying that core modules can't be substituted, they can very occasionally, but this requires approval of the Programme Board, and is only in exceptional circumstances.

We have a choice in our core modules. pick four from 6. I have 3 picked for this semester, had 2 picked for first semester but failed one. I dropped the repeat and added the extra core module as an elective. Apparently this is ok according to the programme office. And I did make sure to stress EXACTLY what I was doing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Walking out of the exam hall is like walking out of the baggage reclaim area of an airport with everyone standing around looking at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

I very very much doubt that. There are a lot of anomalies in the modular system and I have found them to be incompetent when dealing with my questions over the years. The whole thing can turn out to be a mess if you're not careful and arse covering is usually what you are up against when they realise they have messed you up with incorrect/bad advice.

Probably true. In the universities I am familiar with there's usually some clause in some regulations somewhere that nobody could ever reasonably be expected to have read in advance that says 'it is the student's responsibility if we fcuk up'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

4 down 2 to go, not looking forward to international politics on Tuesday!

We have a choice in our core modules. pick four from 6. I have 3 picked for this semester, had 2 picked for first semester but failed one. I dropped the repeat and added the extra core module as an elective. Apparently this is ok according to the programme office. And I did make sure to stress EXACTLY what I was doing.

When you have the choice to pick 4 from 6 like that they are called option modules. Core modules are ones about which you don't have a choice.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/asug/programmesprogrammestructures/asugtitle,39235,en.html

You can substitute option modules no problem, but not core ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

WeeBushy wrote: »
    When you have the choice to pick 4 from 6 like that they are called option modules. Core modules are ones about which you don't have a choice.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/asug/programmesprogrammestructures/asugtitle,39235,en.html

You can substitute option modules no problem, but not core ones.

Jesus, that saves my G.P.A. Thanks a million for that link, clarifies everything.

• Advertisement

Jesus, that saves my G.P.A. Thanks a million for that link, clarifies everything.

No worries :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

The announcer tonight said that this was the largest Saturday 6pm exam, with 2592 registered to sit the exam. About a 6 second pause. "That's approximately equal to 0.6 hectares".

Haha how random :p

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

4 left. It'll be a good moment swaggering out the doors of the last one :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

He said that a particular exam required 2x A-Z MCQ answersheets. What would an A-Z MCQ be used for - that sounds horrendous :eek: And 2 of them? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Bobby42 wrote: »
    4 down 2 to go, not looking forward to international politics on Tuesday!

Same. If only he put the slides on blackboard:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

kev9100 wrote: »
    Same. If only he put the slides on blackboard:(.

I know, he is an absolute prick to students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

what are people expecting from innovation and entrepreneurship? i missed the last lecture so dunno the layout of the exam or anything?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Look up past exam papers on SIS?

first year of it i think he said so dont think there on blackboard but il have a look

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

They sometimes put up sample papers on blackboard or SIS when it's a new module, so it's worth checking to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭alois

unknown13 wrote: »
    I know, he is an absolute prick to students.

come on now, tbf there are far worse lecturers than Tobias. Not putting slides up makes it inconvenient but there are good reasons behind it. He generally doesn't talk too quickly so it's rare I don't get everything. Can't think of anytime he was unfriendly if one had a question. Does repeat the same jokes at times however ;) Trust me though there's far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

jennebean wrote: »
    @weebushy - thanks !!

Here is another very random question that has the head of history school baffled .....

I picked as an elective - modern America I'm a first yr and that's a second year subject .
    Next year it is a core module in history so I cant do it again ad they don't seem to know what to do about it !!

I've basically been told " I have to complete all cores in stage 2" and that I cannot resit it - so I have to take it again but I'm not allowed to take it again !!
    Im in same boat with art history too !

Any ideas ??
    I've spoken with lecturers - office ppl - heads of both schools and nobody seems to know they all just go " sssssssssss oh I don't know what your Donna be able to do "

This should be an easy fix. In September, ask them to reassign the core module you've already completed to Stage 2 (where it will be recognised as a core module). This means you'll need to pick another module to take as a Stage 1 elective.

I don't think you can do it until you're in Stage 2, which essentially is after the results are finalised in June. Ask the Programme Office/Head whether this would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

alois wrote: »
    come on now, tbf there are far worse lecturers than Tobias. Not putting slides up makes it inconvenient but there are good reasons behind it. He generally doesn't talk too quickly so it's rare I don't get everything. Can't think of anytime he was unfriendly if one had a question. Does repeat the same jokes at times however ;) Trust me though there's far worse.

Have to agree with that. The slides he puts up are fairly short anyway so its handy enough to take down what he is saying in class. In fairness, if you go to his classes you'll have enough notes for the exam. Obviously, its good when notes are on bb but if I was him I'd probably do the same thing.

I had another module this semester though that had reallllllllllyyyyyy long slides to take down in each class so more or less everything the lecturer was saying (a lot) was missed. In this case I think the slides should have been put up as even if you went to all of the classes you were missing tons of stuff that was going on in classes. Total pain in the ass and I hated the subject for this reason.

I think it'd be better if there was one system regarding this and they all had to stick to it. totally procrastinating here btw hence the length of the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jennebean

taz70 wrote: »
    This should be an easy fix. In September, ask them to reassign the core module you've already completed to Stage 2 (where it will be recognised as a core module). This means you'll need to pick another module to take as a Stage 1 elective.

I don't think you can do it until you're in Stage 2, which essentially is after the results are finalised in June. Ask the Programme Office/Head whether this would work.

Cheers for that - I thought that was what would happen but then again it sounded far to easy !!! I can't believe it will be a problem if they gave me the option - paininthearse.com !!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Argh, those 6pm exams are a killer, have one tomorrow and it'll be playing on my mind all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I finish my degree with a 6-8 on Saturday.

Oh joy.

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Argh, those 6pm exams are a killer, have one tomorrow and it'll be playing on my mind all day!

I don't like them either. You spend all day worrying about it, trying to do revision (but trying not to do too much so you start your exam exhausted from work).

By far my favourite time is the 9am. I'm up at that time anyway, but at least with 9ams, I only have to study up until the night before, then I can stop, relax, go to bed, wake and not have to worry about doing any more for the exam - the study is done at that stage, all I have is the exam! But I have no 9ams anymore, have a 3 and a 6 (on Saturday, eugh)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

My favourite time for exams is: 12. Get a longer sleep in, no traffic on the roads. Can get a nice amount of revision in and you don't have to worry for that long.

I'm the same, get a good sleep and a quick read over the main points just to have them fresh and to get the brain going, without having the exam on my mind all day. Hate 6-8, even if i relax for the day I'm still tired. Have 6-8 tomorrow, but finish with a 12-2 on saturday so not all bad.

• Advertisement

love 6 o clock exams, nice and relaxing then stroll home get a chipper boom

Advertisement